Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

should we move or shouldnt we?

should we move or shouldnt we?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should we move or shouldnt we?

Originally Posted by stubby42
But the cost of going to university depends on what university they go to, for example, tuition at UBC (vancouver) tends to be around $5000 and up but if they go to a cheaper school like the University of regina it tends to be around $4000 and the accomodation is cheaper.
One of my kids is at UBC, I'm sure she's paying a great deal more than $5,000 but, yes, she has a bunch of scholarships and bursaries due to a combination of brain and poverty.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that was just the tuition and it is a per semester rate, honestly she might very well be paying more, I just took a quick look at ubc's website which is how I came up with the figure.

But yeah, what you pay depends on the course and where you go to school.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:41 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blue Fox
My husband has been offered a job nr Vancouver. We recently went out to visit the place. We both loved it. But with 3 children in tow it is a very difficult decision to make. We are interested in anyone out there who has done the move from England to Canada but who has come back. We have lots of advantages for going out there but would love to hear from people who for whatever reason, ended up coming back. Thank you for your help!
Are you seriously going to base your desision on the opinions expressed on here?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubby42
Well that was just the tuition and it is a per semester rate, honestly she might very well be paying more, I just took a quick look at ubc's website which is how I came up with the figure.

But yeah, what you pay depends on the course and where you go to school.
iirc correctly, when she was in Halifax tuition + accommodation + mandatory meal plan was just short of fifteen grand. She'd also considered the Sorbonne and that would have worked out slightly cheaper than Nova Scotia. Then she was in Montreal and it was dirt cheap once she was a Quebec resident. She chose UBC partly because she'd been living in Alaska and wanted to stay on the left coast but mostly because it was cheaper than the other options.

I don't know what the costs are in the UK these days but the cap of UKP3,000 mentioned above suggests that it's less than some community college courses in Canada and there's the possibility of living at home while attending college (admittedly a bad idea), that's not something that's likely to happen here unless the family lives in one of the three cities.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by flipance
Are you seriously going to base your desision on the opinions expressed on here?
Isn't it a good source of divergent opinion that might highlight issues not yet considered by the OP?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

We moved to Canada (Montreal) August 2009 and heading back in Feb 2011. We had a number of reasons for deciding to head back but financial reasons and my partners job satisfaction were the main ones. We don't have children at this point in time

Feel free to PM me if you want a chat... It's a difficult decision to make. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:27 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
that's not something that's likely to happen here unless the family lives in one of the three cities.
Ahem. There are also two universities in this city. And plenty of local kids attend them...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Ahem. There are also two universities in this city. And plenty of local kids attend them...
Oh yes, Last Chance U is up there, isn't it?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:35 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not if them children want educatin'. University is likely to cost considerably more in Canada or the US than in Europe. Not if any of the family has, or will have, a condition required the continued purchase of medication. Not if continnued contact with family in the UK is desired.
What ever....most half decent employers have a medical plan, even tim hortons. I have been here 17 years never paid a single dime, none nada zip, zilch, on me teeth or me health and that includes my ex who had Lupus. Talk about sweeping generalizations.

Family can be a huge loss and can lead to unexpected costs such as child minding, but i thought that would have been bleedin obvious.

Education i have no idea but managed to get a degree without to much fuss

God you are tiresome
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dboy
What ever....most half decent employers have a medical plan, even tim hortons. I have been here 17 years never paid a single dime, none nada zip, zilch, on me teeth or me health and that includes my ex who had Lupus. Talk about sweeping generalizations.

Family can be a huge loss and can lead to unexpected costs such as child minding, but i thought that would have been bleedin obvious.

Education i have no idea but managed to get a degree without to much fuss

God you are tiresome
I love you too*. However, at $850 a millimetre I found getting the kids "American teeth" to be expensive. I find travelling back for funerals and the like to be bothersome and expensive. I've spent a lot on education. I think these legitimate points of concern in considering emigrating.

* to the extent that your occupation permits.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:57 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I love you too*. However, at $850 a millimetre I found getting the kids "American teeth" to be expensive. I find travelling back for funerals and the like to be bothersome and expensive. I've spent a lot on education. I think these legitimate points of concern in considering emigrating.

* to the extent that your occupation permits.
like i said tiresome>>>>>>>>>>

yes, moving away comes with baggage. After 21 years out of the UK I hardly need to be told that. It comes down to choices, including cosmetic dentistry.

Some may choose never to go back. Your lot in life is not everyone's you know
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:20 am
Just Joined

mickycrockett is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay where you are..For the kids!