Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

should we move or shouldnt we?

should we move or shouldnt we?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Blue Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: should we move or shouldnt we?

Originally Posted by We made our bed
We came over with an 18 and 16 yr old. Although the 16 yr old had just left secondary school with 5 or more GCSE's A-C, the school here said it was only equivalent to their grade 10. He did challenge some subjects and they gave him grade 11 equivalent for those.
It was tough for him at first, but it is a way of meeting new friends, so he faired better than the 18 yr old who found it harder to meet new people.
Thanks for that, the kids are probably our biggest concern, how long has it been since you made the move?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ann m
I would be blunt and say it all come down to $$$.

Bringing up three children anywhere is expensive. If your partner has been offered a well paid job, or you are both going to be earning, then that is half the battle. Are you selling up in the UK and bringing over some equity? Vancouver housing market is expensive.

Rent for a year and see how it goes.

What are your primary reasons for the move?

What ages are your children? How would they feel about the move? There are quite a few families in that area on this board so hopefully some will be along soon to give you some thoughts on schools, etc.

Emigrating - It's daunting, it's exciting, it's expensive. Sometimes it can be lonely and sometimes you meet just the most wonderful people.

Good luck with your decision
Thanks for the advice, the gross pay is in the region of $80k but not too sure how much of that we'll actually see. It would be good to have an idea of our actual likely take home income plus any other benefits that might be availalable such as Child benefit. In uk we get by with an actual net income + tax credits and child benefit of around £35k (I think that's about $50k). Any ideas how all that compares? I know I'd have the added cost due to having to increase my mortgage by about $200k to get something reasonable in the southern areas of BC (langley) . As you rightly say it does all come down to $$$
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Fox
Thanks for the advice, the gross pay is in the region of $80k but not too sure how much of that we'll actually see. It would be good to have an idea of our actual likely take home income plus any other benefits that might be availalable such as Child benefit. In uk we get by with an actual net income + tax credits and child benefit of around £35k (I think that's about $50k). Any ideas how all that compares? I know I'd have the added cost due to having to increase my mortgage by about $200k to get something reasonable in the southern areas of BC (langley) . As you rightly say it does all come down to $$$
If you do a search of the forum or look in the Wiki, you'll find tax calculators that will help you figure out how much take home pay you'll get.

Having said that, $80k will be tight for a family of five in Vancouver area, will you be working at all and if so, any idea what your likely salary is going to be?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
There is another page on this site called moving back to the UK, have a look there as you will see various reasons as to why people return

Good luck

Thanks for that
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by We made our bed
We came over with an 18 and 16 yr old. Although the 16 yr old had just left secondary school with 5 or more GCSE's A-C, the school here said it was only equivalent to their grade 10. He did challenge some subjects and they gave him grade 11 equivalent for those.
It was tough for him at first, but it is a way of meeting new friends, so he faired better than the 18 yr old who found it harder to meet new people.
Thank you for your reply. Are your children pleased you decided to do the move? Well done for being so brave!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:51 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Beyond housing with a higher mortgage, 80 K will afford a comparable, if not better standard of living than 35 k in the UK.

its all swing and roundabouts really. Cost of living overall is similar, some things are more, some less, others the same.

Your considerations for cost of living are really no different than if you were moving to an area of the UK with higher housing costs, other than much higher relocation costs of course.

A decent detached home in Langley will be around 550,000 = 600,000. Townhomes considerably less.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:54 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Around 2000 dollars everytwo weeks, averaged out over the year.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Your considerations for cost of living are really no different than if you were moving to an area of the UK with higher housing costs, other than much higher relocation costs of course.
Not if them children want educatin'. University is likely to cost considerably more in Canada or the US than in Europe. Not if any of the family has, or will have, a condition required the continued purchase of medication. Not if continnued contact with family in the UK is desired.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The basic problem with moving to Canada at the moment is the strength of the Canadian dollar, plus the UK Government has decided to let sterling weaken too.

It depends on your circumstances really, if you can make ends meet in Vancouver without moving your assets over now and leave it until the exchange rate improves then I'd say do it and move. (Bear in mind as soon as you become tax residents of Canada though, any run-up in sterling will be classed as a capital gain and you'll have to pay capital gains tax when you finally move the money).

I just don't see the Canadian dollar weakening anytime soon, it will be years.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not if them children want educatin'. University is likely to cost considerably more in Canada or the US than in Europe. Not if any of the family has, or will have, a condition required the continued purchase of medication. Not if continnued contact with family in the UK is desired.
I think this is a bit of a myth, because there is a shortage of college places in the UK at the moment. If you're a resident of Canada, the college costs aren't that oppressive. There was even a story on CBC recently about the number of students coming over from the UK because they couldn't get a place in the UK and it's cheaper than going to the US or Australia. Non-resident costs are 5x what they are for residents.

I keep hearing my sister whinge on about this but my niece looked into it and reckoned there wasn't much of a difference, plus she would have to live in the UK for two years first to get the resident rate.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you're a resident of Canada, the college costs aren't that oppressive.
I suppose that depends how much income you have. I found having a couple of kids attending university at around $15,000 a year each to be an appreciable expense. (Fees + materials + contribution to living costs). Having done that for four years each, I would not have been able to fund their current round of education, even if I'd been willing.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

But would it have been appreciably cheaper in the UK is the question. My sister seems to live in a dreamworld that it still costs the same as when she was in university, but it's not.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But would it have been appreciably cheaper in the UK is the question. My sister seems to live in a dreamworld that it still costs the same as when she was in university, but it's not.
Currently, there is a cap on tuition fees at around £3,000 but there ongoing 'discussions' about raising that limit up to £10,000 and letting differential charges. So, much like the US, so if you want to go to a top-ranked university it'll cost a lot, if on the other hand you don't mind going to some bum**** former poly, with stoned 20 year old lecturers, then it'll be cheaper.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:18 pm
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
From our investigations and conversations with school boards and colleges, if your son has left school with at least 5 GCSEs at grades A-C, including maths and English, he could probably go straight to college as he has already got the equivalent of a High School Dipolma. If he stays in UK and finishes AS levels he will be at the age they leave high school in Canada I believe and could go to college with his age group.
My son did his Year 12 in NS and graduated this Summer even though he had finished his AS levels. He brought his GcSE results over and to be honest, they didn't mean much to the school.Doing his Year 12 was the best thing he could have done. He made lots of friends, was made Captain of the rugby team and because he has his High School Diploma was able to start College last month. Without a HSD your son will find it difficult because it is what is required here.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

But the cost of going to university depends on what university they go to, for example, tuition at UBC (vancouver) tends to be around $5000 and up (a semester) but if they go to a cheaper school like the University of regina it tends to be around $4000 and the accomodation is cheaper.

Point is it can be expensive (vancouver film school costs $35,000 of a one year program, not including accomodation) but it really does depend on the course they take and where they study and theres always scholarships available.

In the UK its £3,290 a semester and around about another £4000 for accomodation, so its roughly about the same.

Last edited by stubby42; Oct 5th 2010 at 11:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.