SHOULD WE CONTINUE

Wikiposts

SHOULD WE CONTINUE

Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

DOMINICA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SHOULD WE CONTINUE

Hi all,
This is my first post we are currently in the second stage of the application process for our permanent residency visas to live and work in Canada, we a just getting are additional documentation together. I am an early years adviser and my husband also in education, however his background is engineering we have one son 13 months. Ideally we would love to move to BC but its looking more like Mississauga as BC is very expensive.
I am very worried about finding work and having young child, my husband is very positive but jobs are hard to find.
My question is should we continue?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SHOULD WE CONTINUE

Well should you continue? I am afraid that only you can answer that question, no one can make that decision for you!
As for the job situation I think most people on here are in two groups which are looking for employment or have found employment. There are the odd one or to who get out there by other means but in general we are all in the same boat or been in the same boat.
If it is any consolation I have been job hunting for months! Iam actually very close to breaking on the job front issue!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:06 am
Just Joined

DOMINICA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dinger24
Well should you continue? I am afraid that only you can answer that question, no one can make that decision for you!
As for the job situation I think most people on here are in two groups which are looking for employment or have found employment. There are the odd one or to who get out there by other means but in general we are all in the same boat or been in the same boat.
If it is any consolation I have been job hunting for months! Iam actually very close to breaking on the job front issue!
Thanks dinger24
I am going for it as I know Canada is for the best, but I just worry about the jobs prospects. I am keeping my fingers cross that you get that job really soon.
Thanks again
Missy
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers for the fingers (although that does'nt sound right!)
Wish you the very best with your job enquiries as well, happy hunting, I am not going to give in yet and I have to go for it
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:39 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

There's no doubt that in today's economic climate emi/immigrating is a higher than usual risk, but many tens of thousands/millions have done it before you, most of them successfully.
It is a tough grind even getting permission to come to Canada to say nothing of what goes on after you get here. Most people seem to want to go to BC because that Province has such a variety of landscapes and a warmer climate. If that is your preference you should not think of anywhere other than that. You would always wonder.Have you done a reccie. If not, then you really should.
You can do it. When you get to the Pearly Gates, St.Peter will not thank you for not living your dream and going to Canada (BC).
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOMINICA
Thanks dinger24
I am going for it as I know Canada is for the best, but I just worry about the jobs prospects.
Hiya, i'm just curious but in what way do you see Canada being for the best? Have you visited Mississauga to give you an informed decision?

Also BC is a huge area and the fluctuations in costs are quite noticeable.

Now that you're parents you need to consider many more things, one of them being the whole poverty thing. It's great living in a new environment but if you can't find work or struggle to find work that pays in parallel with your current situation / perceived way of life then is it really the right thing to do?

Entirely up to you but as with many things, until you try it you just never know. Depends how calculated your risks are.

Good luck!!!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:18 am
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

I too wonder about getting a job, and am still in the process of getting into Canada. However i feel that if you do not follow your dream and give it a chance, you will never know and always sit and wonder "what if"

I believe it is a chance worth taking, as Auld Yin said, getting into Canada is hard enough, - so any job that pays will do, at first, then you can look at building on that. I doubt you will find that many people/expats on here who moved across and started out in the same/similar job with same salary/or more. I would guess that we have all had to start at a lower classification and work upwards.

Good luck and don't look back. My favorite moto at the moment is something Eleanor Roosevelt once said " the only thing to fear is fear itself" and I have this stuck above my desk along with "follow your dreams, as you never know what tomorrow may bring". these keep me motivated every day.

Emmjay
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Emmjay
I too wonder about getting a job, and am still in the process of getting into Canada. However i feel that if you do not follow your dream and give it a chance, you will never know and always sit and wonder "what if"

I believe it is a chance worth taking, as Auld Yin said, getting into Canada is hard enough, - so any job that pays will do, at first, then you can look at building on that. I doubt you will find that many people/expats on here who moved across and started out in the same/similar job with same salary/or more. I would guess that we have all had to start at a lower classification and work upwards.

Good luck and don't look back. My favorite moto at the moment is something Eleanor Roosevelt once said " the only thing to fear is fear itself" and I have this stuck above my desk along with "follow your dreams, as you never know what tomorrow may bring". these keep me motivated every day.

Emmjay
I have to agree, in fact right now I have just re assessed my situation and have applied for a few delivery jobs, not what I wanted but its another possibility, I have worked out that I will (should) be able to survive (kids not going with us) will have to keep a tight grip on expenses and with a bit of luck the wife will get some employment. I could have done long haul driving but we dont want the constant separation, as well as taking longer to get PR due to often leaving to go to the US! I see it as 2 yrs low wages, but home at nights and quicker to gain PR. Once I gain PR I will have a better knowledge of the industry (EU and Canada transport industries differ alot!) and will be better situated to network.
I have read numerous times on here how people started out in some very low paid jobs but were determined and made it! For me it all hinders on a job, I will practically do anything (within reason!) to get us out there!
Best of luck to those looking!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

I understand how you feel. We've been here about six weeks and we're busy looking for work while buying a house. I'm worried we won't find anything while our savings go down all the time. But we have experience and qualifications, and the attitude that this is where we want to spend the rest of our lives and we will do anything we can to make it work. As far as we're concerned, going back to the UK is not an option. We went through a lot to get here, this is it, and we're here to stay.

I earned reasonable money in the UK but came to hate my job. I accept that I'll earn less here, but what's more important is that we enjoy our jobs. Our main reason for emigrating was to have more time together in a country with opportunities. We gave up our secure (but unfulfiling) jobs in the UK to gamble on making a go of things here. We're determined to succeed somehow and, as a previous poster said, you never know what tomorrow may bring.

Things are stressful at the moment, admittedly, but I don't regret our decision for an instant. You only live once, and you have to try to fulfill your dreams.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

good luck to anyone jobhunting!

-- as to "should you?"

well, it's up to you.

Other people will most of the time give you advice based on their own experience and/or their own outlook on life. Some people are more risk adverse: they will counsel you to stay put, in a known situation. Others are adventurers and will advise you to go chase your dreams.

Bottom line: find out for yourself.

Go to Canada, have a look around, try to arrange a couple of interviews.

Assess your and your wife's outlook on life: what financial means do you need to be happy and content. Make a monthly budget. Don't forget to figure in the trips back and forth to the UK. You are going to leave your toddler in the UK? Do you need to pay anything for room and board, health insurance? and so forth.

Oh and ask yourself: what is it you look for in BC (where?) or Mississauga?

My own situation: I'm a single mom, full-time working, my salary is my only income. I have one five year old son. -- And I've tried finding a job over the distance, but no luck so far. I have made up my mind to give up my job here, and move over to Vancouver, rent an appartment, put my son in school, and look for a job. High risk? You bet. Much higher than all those lucky folks who have money to buy a house. Much higher than all those who don't have kids. Much higher than any couple. But hey, that's just me and my decision, and it can't really guide anyone else.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Ikatita

Your one brave lady and I wish you the very best of luck I hope it all comes together for you.
Your braver than I am and I like your style.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ikatita
good luck to anyone jobhunting!

-- as to "should you?"

well, it's up to you.

Other people will most of the time give you advice based on their own experience and/or their own outlook on life. Some people are more risk adverse: they will counsel you to stay put, in a known situation. Others are adventurers and will advise you to go chase your dreams.

Bottom line: find out for yourself.

Go to Canada, have a look around, try to arrange a couple of interviews.

Assess your and your wife's outlook on life: what financial means do you need to be happy and content. Make a monthly budget. Don't forget to figure in the trips back and forth to the UK. You are going to leave your toddler in the UK? Do you need to pay anything for room and board, health insurance? and so forth.

Oh and ask yourself: what is it you look for in BC (where?) or Mississauga?

My own situation: I'm a single mom, full-time working, my salary is my only income. I have one five year old son. -- And I've tried finding a job over the distance, but no luck so far. I have made up my mind to give up my job here, and move over to Vancouver, rent an appartment, put my son in school, and look for a job. High risk? You bet. Much higher than all those lucky folks who have money to buy a house. Much higher than all those who don't have kids. Much higher than any couple. But hey, that's just me and my decision, and it can't really guide anyone else.
Hi Ikatita, I used to live and work in Paris and now I'm in the process of applying to immigrate to Canada. We're moving to the Toronto area as we have friends there.
Whereabouts in Paris do you live? I lived in the 'val d'oise' and worked in Asnieres. I lived there for 9 years but came back to England when the children were very small. I salute you for following your dreams.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Onefut will become famous soon enoughOnefut will become famous soon enough

most folk i know that have had the opportunity to move abroad and dont go say they wish they had and for some it was over 30yrs ago they were offered

I think its better to move an then come back after a few years having given it a good go than to not do it and be wishing you had for the next 20yrs
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by beckybev
Hi Ikatita, I used to live and work in Paris and now I'm in the process of applying to immigrate to Canada. We're moving to the Toronto area as we have friends there.
Whereabouts in Paris do you live? I lived in the 'val d'oise' and worked in Asnieres. I lived there for 9 years but came back to England when the children were very small. I salute you for following your dreams.
Hi Beckybev,
am in Paris itself -- funny coincidence, you having lived here, too.

Let's see what following my dreams will lead to -- and everyone else's, for that matter. Might find ourselves in the returning forum soon.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ikatita
Hi Beckybev,
am in Paris itself -- funny coincidence, you having lived here, too.

Let's see what following my dreams will lead to -- and everyone else's, for that matter. Might find ourselves in the returning forum soon.
I was worried about wanting to return eventually as I was miserable in France for a good few years before I moved back. My reasons for leaving France won't be an issue in Canada (most of them are to do with my ex-husband).

I've been going to Canada since I was 15 and have always wanted to live there but the timing has never been quite right until now. We're very lucky in that my OH's job is on 'the list' so we can get PR status and look for jobs while we're still living in the UK.

Following your dreams is an amazing thing. I've met so many people who have never moved and still live in the village where they were born because they are too scared to make a change. What an opportunity you are giving your son, showing him that nothing is impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.