Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should she go to Uni in UK or Canada- Pros and cons

Should she go to Uni in UK or Canada- Pros and cons

Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:31 am
Banned

-TE- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should she go to Uni in UK or Canada- Pros and cons

To everyone, thankyou for responding. We all have some tough decisions to make, this one I will have to leave to my daughter to decide, we see her future in Canada, if she goes to Uni in England, she may not think the same. That will be very tough on us. 2 years in 5 is acheivable, if she comes to Canada during each term, difficult if she does not. Again, thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -TE-
To everyone, thankyou for responding. We all have some tough decisions to make, this one I will have to leave to my daughter to decide, we see her future in Canada, if she goes to Uni in England, she may not think the same. That will be very tough on us. 2 years in 5 is acheivable, if she comes to Canada during each term, difficult if she does not. Again, thanks.
IMO your daughter is more likely to stay in the country she attends uni in. She will have forged friendships and will more than likely have contact with prospective employers through the uni.

We moved from the UK to the US...after 7 years in the US my daughter decided to go to the University of Toronto. She made good friends and found she had more or less left her US life behind. She was approached by a head hunter before she graduated, landed a job and found herself a lovely Canadian guy...they are getting married in the spring.

Edit: Apart from the uni fees...consider air fares...often at the most expensive times of the year. If there is an emergency...you may want to jump on a plane straight away...again very expensive to fly at very short notice. We had to make 2 emergency visits to Toronto. If you have to transfer money to your daughter in the UK...consider the fees and fluctuating exchange rates. The exchange rate between the US and Canada from 2003 to 2008 really made a huge difference in cost.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 25th 2011 at 12:50 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by -TE-
Hi, I have enjoyed looking at this site, and have got loads of info from it, but feel i have to post a question I have not seen on the site. We are likely to get Perm Res next year, as I understand it, we all get PR Me, wife and two kids. Eldest is now doing A levels and will go to Uni either here or in Canada, what are the pros and cons of both, we have our own list but without knowledge of Canadian Uni's, we are unable to compare. I know there are issues with time spent out of Canada to keep residency, how can she go to uk Uni and retain Perm res?
i was in the same boat. i chose UK uni and i'm very glad. in my opinion, uni is quite wishy-washy in Canada, you waste the first year studying general stuff and then people seem to faff about for five years just getting a batchelors. loads of the people i'm working with, who went to uni in Canada and on paper at least have the same degree as me, are, to be brutally frank, useless. they just don't know what they need to know.
although a lot of that is because in Canada there is much more choice within the degree program in terms of what you study - most people just choose random courses from all over the place based on their interests, which is fun at the time but it makes the degree meaningless at the end. if you used your choices to keep your degree focused then you would still get a good degree at the end of it. (it's just that most people here don't seem to do that)

of course other people may totally disagree with me!

but re the visa, it wasn't an issue for me. i acquired my perm res visa around the time i started uni, and have still managed to spend the required time in Canada. very glad to be here in Canada now, but i'm glad i came here post-degree.

Last edited by ergyngfeld; Oct 25th 2011 at 2:57 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
i was in the same boat. i chose UK uni and i'm very glad. in my opinion, uni is quite wishy-washy in Canada, you waste the first year studying general stuff and then people seem to faff about for five years just getting a batchelors. loads of the people i'm working with, who went to uni in Canada and on paper at least have the same degree as me, are, to be brutally frank, useless. they just don't know what they need to know.
although a lot of that is because in Canada there is much more choice within the degree program in terms of what you study - most people just choose random courses from all over the place based on their interests, which is fun at the time but it makes the degree meaningless at the end. if you used your choices to keep your degree focused then you would still get a good degree at the end of it. (it's just that most people here don't seem to do that)

but re the visa, it wasn't an issue for me. i acquired my perm res visa around the time i started uni, and have still managed to spend the required time in Canada. very glad to be here in Canada now, but i'm glad i came here post-degree.
A Canadian degree will be a four year one and that's important if the graduate intends to work for a Canadian firm as it's a stipulation for cross border working under NAFTA. If attending university in the UK with the intent of moving to Canada it would be prudent to find a four year course.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A Canadian degree will be a four year one and that's important if the graduate intends to work for a Canadian firm as it's a stipulation for cross border working under NAFTA. If attending university in the UK with the intent of moving to Canada it would be prudent to find a four year course.
Hmm... Is that a four year course or four years of study? i.e. would a 3 year degree + masters count as four years for this NAFTA thing?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hmm... Is that a four year course or four years of study? i.e. would a 3 year degree + masters count as four years for this NAFTA thing?
I don't know but it's a bureaucratic thing so I suspect not.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There is a period of residency for Ontario...think it's around 6 months.
No there's not.

There is a residency requirement for OSAP (12 months I think) but none for domestic fees if you're a PR.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No there's not.

There is a residency requirement for OSAP (12 months I think) but none for domestic fees if you're a PR.
Thanks for putting me right...I thought you had to be a PR for say 6 months to qualify for domestic fees.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thanks for putting me right...I thought you had to be a PR for say 6 months to qualify for domestic fees.
Thank you for thanking me.

<15 all>
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld

Yes you can swap and change around for the first two years, but for many a liberal arts environment is perfect while they decide what to choose/specialize in. And of course, you can specialize from year 3 or even earlier depending on the university, or whether you enroll in an honours program upfront (as some Univs offer). Those who want it can succeed in a Canadian university ... Or you can just piss about and emerge with a useless Bachelors. Then again, you can piss about and emerge with a useless Desmond from a UK university too. Same difference, just costs a lot more (now).
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:01 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by London Mike
Yes you can swap and change around for the first two years, but for many a liberal arts environment is perfect while they decide what to choose/specialize in. And of course, you can specialize from year 3 or even earlier depending on the university, or whether you enroll in an honours program upfront (as some Univs offer). Those who want it can succeed in a Canadian university ... Or you can just piss about and emerge with a useless Bachelors. Then again, you can piss about and emerge with a useless Desmond from a UK university too. Same difference, just costs a lot more (now).
Desmond? Richard, shirley?