Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should i train as a lawyer here or in UK?

Should i train as a lawyer here or in UK?

Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should i train as a lawyer here or in UK?

Originally Posted by Topher Charles
oh yeah, not able to practice in quebec i know that...and wouldnt want to, civil law is awful and long!

I appreciate all your advice it has been very useful and im glad from your experience i clearly stand a chance at least, thats all im looking for. although your buy yourself a book 'law course' is optimistic to say the least. if only that would work.
If you go down the NCA route, you will have little alternative as it does not provide any form of assistance with studying other than to recommend textbooks. I passed all my NCA exams by only using the recommended texts.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

BMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Almost Canadian;8374310]
Originally Posted by BMM69

Legal bookkeeping/accounting are virtually identical in England/Canada. PC Law is used here. They call Office Account a General Account, and Client Account a Trust Account over here. The main difference is that, in Canada, interest on the Trust Account is not kept by the firm but is forwarded to a foundation set up by the Provincial Law Society to partly fund, I believe, Legal Aid.

You will be fine
Thank you, I have printed off the bookkeeping guide and byelaw9 and it all seems straightforward. Will have to wait until the kids are settled in at school (and Canada) first before i get a permanent job, so plenty of time to read up.
Thanks for your response.
BMM69
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Topher Charles is an unknown quantity at this point

HI,

Out of interest what qualifications does one need to work as a legal cashier in canada?

What does it pay also in England and Canada respectively?

cheers
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

BMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Topher Charles
HI,

Out of interest what qualifications does one need to work as a legal cashier in canada?

What does it pay also in England and Canada respectively?

cheers
Hi,
There are not really any qualifications required to become a cashier, just on the job training and experience. There are courses in the UK run by ILCA but they aren't a necessity. Salary levels vary depending on size of firm and type of work. I have worked in Manchester and surrounding areas and entry level is around £16k,a senior level can get 25-35k without having an accounting qualification. You can sometimes find that the cashier role is linked with Office manager role. Some of the larger firms have inhouse accountants though and I am sure they can get a lot more. I have found knowledge of Legal aid and LSC requirements a big advantage especially amongst smaller firms.

I have researched Toronto area and there have been jobs advertised in the region $50-65k. These haven't asked for a degree qualification or an accounting qualification, just experience (and more often than not knowledge of PC Law package). With a canadian accounting qualification, you could be looking at £65k +, again depending on size of firm. PC Law have on line training sessions and also training sessions out of their Toronto office.

BMM69