Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Short term rental in Halifax??

Short term rental in Halifax??

Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:51 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short term rental in Halifax??

Ok, so we are about (fingers crossed) to sign a contract tonight on our hosue in NZ and this will mean we need to be on our way in a week to NS!!!! However, after the week in Florida we are treating ourselves to, when we touch down in Halifax it is going to get a bit scary!!

We have been scouring the property listings for the last 6 months and have some ideas of where we want to buy. We want a week to blitz through as many houses as possible and put in an offer so we can get into a house shortly. We need to do this because A. we dont want to waste time in a rental, and B. we need to sort ourselves out for the start of the school year.

Now my husband has a job with one of the hospitals in Halifax, but unlike anywhere else, there seems to be no hospital accomodation that we can use. We simply want a very basic place and hope to be there no more than a 2-6 week period.

Any ideas?? We dont want to end up having to get into these long leases and sub- letting etc...................
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short term rental in Halifax??

Fantastic news about the house! I am so jealous. I hope that you will find somewhere soon. NSPaul put me in touch with a friend of his who is a realtor. We have been having email conversations and she sounds really helpful. I could pass her email on if you like. I don't have it to had as I am at work (night duty) but I can send it to you by PM tomorrow
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:16 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont even start me - nearly $100,000 less than the asking price, but the market here has seriously crashed and needs must! (And I sit here as I type with the building inspection going on, so it is after that we expect to sign the contract...............who knows what might change!) Counting pennies is not a good look for me, but I need to. And thankfully the relocation money offered will be our holiday money - so that's safe, yay!!

I would love that email address, thanks!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:17 am
NS covern member #1

Hey - Its nearly home time, have a coffee and put the magazines away - the Day staff will be there soon!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:18 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Hey - Its nearly home time, have a coffee and put the magazines away - the Day staff will be there soon!!
There must of been about 20,000 realtors listed in the Herald Chronicle last Sunday.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Ok, so we are about (fingers crossed) to sign a contract tonight on our hosue in NZ and this will mean we need to be on our way in a week to NS!!!! However, after the week in Florida we are treating ourselves to, when we touch down in Halifax it is going to get a bit scary!!

We have been scouring the property listings for the last 6 months and have some ideas of where we want to buy. We want a week to blitz through as many houses as possible and put in an offer so we can get into a house shortly. We need to do this because A. we dont want to waste time in a rental, and B. we need to sort ourselves out for the start of the school year.

Now my husband has a job with one of the hospitals in Halifax, but unlike anywhere else, there seems to be no hospital accomodation that we can use. We simply want a very basic place and hope to be there no more than a 2-6 week period.

Any ideas?? We dont want to end up having to get into these long leases and sub- letting etc...................
Congrats on the house sale !

We stayed at a place in Mount Uniake, about 30mins from downtown. It was a beautiful place overlooking a fabulous lake - have a look at the link below

http://www.nscottagerentals.com/

I understand the owner (Tammie) does do lets on the length you are looking at. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you the contact details which should ensure you get a decent rate
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:13 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

It looks like we'll be in the same boat as you, looking for a short-term let for up to 8 weeks.

We couldn't afford $1000 a week though, crikey! Does look nice though.

Are there any places to avoid like the plague for rentals? Where are the rougher areas (assuming there are any of course!) in NS, within 1 1/2 hour radius of HRM?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:43 pm
NS covern member #1

Well we are still stuttering over the contract, so no house sale yet it would seem. We have been chased and chased by this man, offering us far less than we wanted, we finally go ok, and now he has cold feet. BUT, we have agreed to go a week today - 3 small children and a 5 bed house to sort out before the International Packers arrive in 3 days....................the arrogance of the man.

Anywho - thanks for the info, I am hoping that more competitive rates might be achieved, $1000 per week would not be possible. But will get back on that when there is ink drying on the contract.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Here is a link for short term rental/ furnished/downtown/ no more than 10 minutes walking to the hospitals.

http://www.thepadpicker.com/apts_condos_furn.htm
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:03 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

Hello

Elite Suites offer short term leases, but are rather plush.
Here is the link www.elitesuites.ca

Colin