British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Shopping ...sad but true (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/shopping-sad-but-true-810994/)

mandymoochops Oct 7th 2013 4:58 am

Re: Shopping ...sad but true

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10933334)
I find it a bit chavvy and nylon .. And cut cheap .. Reminds me if Richard Shops (that dates me) and Dorothy Perkins. A little "mumsyish" .. Not so on trend ..

Hmm agreed, I think I've been into a Rikis and a Reitmans once and remember thinking - wow thats what I'd wear if I got old.

Try Beyond the rack online for decent stuff. :thumbup:

For workwear I use Marks WW, UFA or VV (or steal my hubbes freeby t shirts / sweaters) :(

Howefamily Oct 7th 2013 9:59 am

agreed on Reitmans, the pants (trousers) are nice though for work, thats about it.

MegRobEarlee Oct 15th 2013 8:06 pm

Get a US post box! then ship to it. what I used to do for fabric.
I have to agree that everytime I go home to visit I take money for shoppin then bring it all back with me because the shopping is utter crap compared to the UK.

Vancouver - some OKISH things can be found are main/gastown. Eugene Choo, and BLOCK are nice but they do the bog standard jazzy YMC etc thats available from ASOS and the like anyeay.
but i do happen to like Joe as well and its new since I left Canada in 04.CHEAP as chips but decent quality. I get joe jammies every xmas in the post from my sister.
If you are in Van then drive down to Burlington as the outlets are great-and grab a few pendleton blankets and chuck them on ebay when you get back..

I wil miss UK shopping a LOT when we move back but the internet is a wonderful thing.

Piff Poff Oct 16th 2013 1:11 am

Originally Posted by MegRobEarlee (Post 10945714)
Get a US post box! then ship to it. what I used to do for fabric.
I have to agree that everytime I go home to visit I take money for shoppin then bring it all back with me because the shopping is utter crap compared to the UK.

Vancouver - some OKISH things can be found are main/gastown. Eugene Choo, and BLOCK are nice but they do the bog standard jazzy YMC etc thats available from ASOS and the like anyeay.
but i do happen to like Joe as well and its new since I left Canada in 04.CHEAP as chips but decent quality. I get joe jammies every xmas in the post from my sister.
If you are in Van then drive down to Burlington as the outlets are great-and grab a few pendleton blankets and chuck them on ebay when you get back..

I wil miss UK shopping a LOT when we move back but the internet is a wonderful thing.

A US postbox is not a viable solution for everyone, we are 4 - 5 hours from the border, I can just imagine the conversation, hey honey, just ordered some stuff online, so we wre travelling 10 hours to collect it:rofl:

Jingle Oct 16th 2013 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 10946181)
A US postbox is not a viable solution for everyone, we are 4 - 5 hours from the border, I can just imagine the conversation, hey honey, just ordered some stuff online, so we wre travelling 10 hours to collect it:rofl:

Amazingly there are some private mailbox services will actually re-pack the boxes and then ship them on to Canada. I do this for my boss. His wife orders a lot of things that are then shipped free of charge to their PO box in Oregon, where a lady simply boxes them up with new shipping labels and sends them across the border.

It's apparently a very popular solution for the US RV crowd!!

J :)

Piff Poff Oct 16th 2013 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 10946908)
Amazingly there are some private mailbox services will actually re-pack the boxes and then ship them on to Canada. I do this for my boss. His wife orders a lot of things that are then shipped free of charge to their PO box in Oregon, where a lady simply boxes them up with new shipping labels and sends them across the border.

Who knew??:) Too much faff for me:rofl:

Turtle Oct 16th 2013 4:51 pm

Just returned from a week in Manchester visiting the parents. Thank God I managed to get a decent pair of shoes (brogues) from M&S at a reasonable price. The quality, choice & design in both M&S and Debenhams seems to have improved over the years - which is why I took a half-empty suitcase with me, and came back with a full one.

Simon Legree Oct 16th 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 10946908)

I just have stuff sent to my AZ address and the good old USPS forwards it to me here. Parcels and small packets included. I have never lost one yet.

AberystwythGirl Nov 7th 2013 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA (Post 10927769)
http://ca.nextdirect.com/en/

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Inter...s2_2of2_intdel

Other than that we got H&M, Esprit, the Bay or the US;-)

Fantastic - thanks for this Next link - been having problems getting the right size clothes for my kids - Next always fitted well in UK so this is wonderful news. :goodpost:

bats Nov 7th 2013 12:07 pm

I went shopping on Tuesday at a mall new to me. Was in The Bay and found: Wallis, Dorothy P, Windsmoor, and US brands. 40% off and the 15% senior discount! Yeay, i wasn't offended.
I didn't end up buying anything from the UK brands though. I did think that the stores had more choice than my local stores.