Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shopping ...sad but true

Shopping ...sad but true

Old Oct 4th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping ...sad but true

Originally Posted by MikeUK
shopping in the US just give a better value as well as selection, especially in those zero sales tax states
If you're from Alberta, Washington State is a zero sales tax State. Although a store is not obligated to give you a break on the sales tax, big ones like Macy's, JC Penny, etc. will if you ask and can prove you're from Alberta (by showing a drivers license).
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Hmm, didn't realise they were nationwide, hey ho. I did work in Aylesbury once.
Once is enough!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
if she MUST mall, Coquitlam is the nicest (imo)
I live close by to the Coquitlam Mall, and I have to say i've been quite impressed so far. THe only thing i have struggled to find is decent shoes for my 5 yr old daughter!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:55 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
I live close by to the Coquitlam Mall, and I have to say i've been quite impressed so far. THe only thing i have struggled to find is decent shoes for my 5 yr old daughter!
oh, you won't find any. You may as well give up now and join the rest of canada by shopping at Payless/Sears.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:56 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Baby Gap sometimes has ok shoes for kids. And Gymboree (there's one at Coquitlam mall) if you can get past the barfy ribbons, bows and matching sets of clothes.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

oh, you won't find any. You may as well give up now and join the rest of canada by shopping at Payless/Sears.
Yup, we ended up at Payless!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Yup, we ended up at Payless!
Does anybody fancy a meet up at the Coquitlam shopping centre? We can do coffee and chat and shopping!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 5:56 pm

i'm up for it BUT can only do sat morning (when kid has dance class) and only for about an hour. We'll leave the OH to text his face off at Blenz and go wander with coffee/tea.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by julie.haywood
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Ok so I know this isn't the most challenging topic but 7 weeks in I'm feeling disorientated about shopping. (Especially since my mail forward sent me an M&S Autumn catalogue with nostalgic piccy's of shopping at home). So I'm in need of friendly advice about where to buy my women's winter clothes in Calgary (for those who asked which Calgary it's the Canadian one!).

I used to shop for smart/business casual stuff and then relaxing weekend stuff ranging from the very cheap (Peacocks and Primark) to the more department store (Beales, Debenhams, M&S) through to independent boutique and high end worn before style shops. I'm going insane without them. I would love to find the same range of shops (if I can) in Calgary. Not really sure where to start.

I know that when it gets to minus 30 I won't give a damn what shops I went to but as I feel homesick right now you'd be doing me a therapeutic as well as practical favour, if you had any tips.

Thanks in advance.

I would try the Winners as well. You will find that you will dress down in Canada as it is more casual than the UK.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

We got Kiddie Kobbler over here http://www.kiddiekobbler.ca/ It's not Clarks but they are pretty good there and got all the good kid's shoes.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 12:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I think it is true that one adapts / assimilates over time and do end up buying clothes from Canadian stores, I have to say that we do use every opportunity to purchase clothes abroad, in the UK & US. Not that we are fashion victims, far from it, it's just choice and cost seem to be a lot better. My work wardrobe is pretty much Marks & Sparks, the kids clothes come from Marks, Next etc and FatFace is a place we check out, but usually only when they are having a sale. This summers trip to the UK involved a certain amount of clothes purchasing, prompting the Mrs to say that we'd have to rent a bigger car next year so that we can take more suitcases with us. As it was we had an Insignia Estate, but by the time one fills it with strollers and associated kid stuff, it was chockablock.

I did imagine that it was being in a relatively far-flung part of the country that mean't that clothes shopping here was a struggle, but if you Vancouver sophisticates struggle as well, then I'm grateful for the opportunities to travel that I get. Although buying clothes remotely by texting pictures back to the Mrs while I'm on a business trip to whereever gets to be a bore. The hour in a Coach factory store somewhere outside of Nawlins in August was purgatory.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:35 pm

I don't struggle at all. i buy a lot online/at boutiques, I don't tend to buy my clothes at the mall.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't is also the case that fashion styles, fabrics, cuts and colours in Britain are quite different than that in Canada - both women and mens. Obviously there is some common ground, especially with the major casual wear chains, but there are quite a number of other items that might fit in one country but not the other. It's perhaps more noticeable Canada to Britain rather than Britain to Canada. IMO.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Clarks shoes are available in Canada for men and women (but weirdly, not children) - see the store locator here:

http://store.clarkscanada.com/
Old Oct 5th 2013, 4:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy decent enough clothes here, go to Holt Renfrew or there may well be a Saks in your future. That said, I wouldn't bother, just wear any old shite and you'll be better dressed than most of the population.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.