Reload this Page >

shoes and hardwood floors and tile floors

shoes and hardwood floors and tile floors

Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: shoes and hardwood floors and tile floors

Originally Posted by windward
I wonder if born and bred Canucks would spend two pages arguing about the appropriateness of taking your shoes off at the door
I'm a 'cradle Canadian' and no I don't think that we would spend 6 pages debating the appropriateness of shoe removal in somebody's house because it's expected. I now live in Oz and am amazed when people walk into my house (with real hardwood floors) with high heeled shoes when it's been raining . Yes, this did happen!!

My MIL in East Molesey makes us take off our shoes in the house too.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
I now live in Oz and am amazed when people walk into my house (with real hardwood floors) with high heeled shoes when it's been raining . Yes, this did happen!!
I'm a bit baffled by this. I assumed the original reference to high heeled shoes related to the absence of fashion in Canada; Canadian women generally wear "comfortable shoes" or boots. If someone actually owns nice shoes and is willing to wear them to visit why would you discourage it? If she's willing to risk a tumble in the street because of bad weather isn't it doubly rude to ask that she take them off when she arrives?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
but I don't understand why people are still removing shoes at the door on a dry summer's day
Because grit etc trapped in the tread of a shoe will scratch the floor.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:42 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

In our house we take our shoes off... it started because we wanted to minimise cleaning... and now it's just horrid to be in a house with shoes on. They are sooo dirty.

Custom here (Belgium) is to keep you shoes on when you go to someone else's house, so we don't ask people to remove theirs.

I think it's another reason we're going to like Canada!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Because grit etc trapped in the tread of a shoe will scratch the floor.

Isn't it a bit odd to install floors that won't withstand being walked on and then to invite people over? What do you sockists do in public buildings such as churches?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't understand why people are still removing shoes at the door on a dry summer's day
'Cos sand and dust will eat the finish on hardwood alive just the same as mud. And its rude not to. And its the normal expected thing to do here.

I dont understand why there is a resistance to take shoes off in the circumstances.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 8th 2006 at 12:57 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Isn't it a bit odd to install floors that won't withstand being walked on and then to invite people over? What do you sockists do in public buildings such as churches?
People are invited over on the assumption that they are normal civilised people and will behave according to the societial norms that go along with nice finished hardwood floors. Ours are now trashed anyway by the collective action of small children who dont observe rules that closely, and by the combined effect of a thousand small hard plastic toys getting pushed around over them.

We keep our shoes on in public buildings. Sometimes winter boots will be replaced with more indoor shoes though.

However there is a world of difference betwen the finish on a domestic floor, and the more hardwareing surfaces of public buildings. I cant think of a church (or any other public building) around here that has expensively finished hardwood floors anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 8th 2006 at 1:01 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Any time I am forced to go into a church, I look for a cow field first.

I rarely wear socks between May and October. When I do, I always wear slippers. It looks naff but it's better than breaking my neck on the stairs.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
We keep our shoes on. Sometimes winter boots will be replaced with more indoor shoes.

However there is a world of difference betwen the finish on a domestic floor, and the more hardwareing surfaces of public buildings. I cant think of a church (or any other public building) around here that has expensively finished hardwood floors anyway.
If a domestic floor is expensively finished and yet can't withstand shoes there's something sadly wrong. I like the hardwood because it's tough and in the worst case it can sanded down, I'm sure that in the seventy+ years it's been down it's seen plenty of shoes and yet it's not ruined.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

If a domestic floor is expensively finished and yet can't withstand shoes there's something sadly wrong. I like the hardwood because it's tough and in the worst case it can sanded down, I'm sure that in the seventy+ years it's been down it's seen plenty of shoes and yet it's not ruined.
Think about it. How do you remove the old finish when you refinish a hardwood floor? With Sandpaper.

And how do you think your outside shoes with mud and dirt on the soles behave....like sandpaper!

So yes, hardwood can be refinished... but:
A: That costs money, and is a royal and messy pain in the arse best done when you move to a place and all the rooms are empty and you plan to dust top to bottom anyway. You wouldnt want to do it in your home, so why would you expect the person you are visiting to want to do it more often than they had to.

B: You can only sand and refinish a finite number of times before there is nothing left to sand. We are close to that point now, and replacing hardwood is a couple of orders of magnitude more expensive than putting down laminate

Last edited by iaink; Sep 8th 2006 at 1:16 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Think about it. How do you remove the old finish when you refinish a hardwood floor? With Sandpaper.

And how do you think your outside shoes with mud and dirt on the soles behave....like sandpaper!

So yes, hardwood can be refinished... but:
A: That costs money, and is a royal and messy pain in the arse best done when you move to a place and all the rooms are empty and you plan to dust top to bottom anyway. You wouldnt want to do it in your home, so why would you expect the person you are visiting to want to do it more often than they had to.

B: You can only sand and refinish a finite number of times before there is nothing left to sand. We are close to that point now, and replacing hardwood is a couple of orders of magnitude more expensive than putting down laminate

I think the shoe removal thing is rather tail wagging dog. It seems to me mildly inhospitable to tell visitors that the shine on the floor is more important than their style and comfort. Still, I can't say I get terribly bent out of shape about it, to me it's just like Canadians offering beer from the bottle instead of a glass, it's what they do and I never had much manners anyway.

However to my OH and especially to her mother, manners and politeness are important and things like that make them scream, they view life in Toronto as being barely one step up from a mud hut. I think that's a common view among immigrants confronted with the shoe custom, regardless of their place of origin.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 8th 2006 at 3:02 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

However to my OH and especially to her mother, manners and politeness are important and things like that make them scream, they view life in Toronto as being barely one step up from a mud hut. I think that's a common view among immigrants confronted with the show custom, regardless of their place of origin.
If manners are so important, then surely they remove their outside footware, as that is the good mannerd thing to do At least, thats how I've always seen it.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Liana
So you never had slippers

Most people under 45 wouldn't be seen dead in slippers nowadays, but surprisingly the stores are full of them in the run up to Christmas (ie 1st August onwards)
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

If manners are so important, then surely they remove their outside footware, as that is the good mannerd thing to do At least, thats how I've always seen it.
Presumably, "always" meaning since you've been in rural Canada, I don't think it's common anywhere else.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Presumably, "always" meaning since you've been in rural Canada, I don't think it's common anywhere else.
No, my mum wouldnt let us near the 1970s shag pile with outside shoes on, and that went for any of our friends houses too.

Plus its "normal" to leave your shoes at the door in the big cites of Trenton, Belleville and Peterborough too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.