Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shock and panic

Wikiposts

Shock and panic

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shock and panic

Originally Posted by growingzoo
Hi
Been on this forum for a while but finally decided to post.
My husband, myself and children are planning on moving to Canada, my husband received a job offer today and now I am panicking and super excited. The company are planning on sorting out work permits etc and would like him there ASAP.
I suppose the questions I ask are what do I do first? Do I put the house on the market then start looking at shipping container companies? Do I wait for papers to be finalised? I think my husband will have to fly out first and I will follow with the children once things are sold and tied up in UK.
Any experiences and advice would be so helpful and reassuring.
Tahnks
The most important thing to remember is what the T in TWP stands for - Temporary. Personally I wouldn't be selling my UK property until I had PR status. I also wouldn't be buying in Canada until I had PR status. I would also suggest renting first anyway so you can work out if you are in the right area. As another poster has said, buying a house too soon can be a very expensive mistake (I bought 2 house within the first year here so I also know this from personal experience). Should the worst happen and you have to return to the UK, it a lot easier to get out of a lease than it is to try to sell a house.
Definitely wait for the paperwork to be finalized before making final arrangements for shipping. No harm in getting quotes now so you have an idea of what you will be looking at when the time comes though.
Good Luck with everything
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TanieBird
The most important thing to remember is what the T in TWP stands for - Temporary. Personally I wouldn't be selling my UK property until I had PR status. I also wouldn't be buying in Canada until I had PR status. I would also suggest renting first anyway so you can work out if you are in the right area. As another poster has said, buying a house too soon can be a very expensive mistake (I bought 2 house within the first year here so I also know this from personal experience). Should the worst happen and you have to return to the UK, it a lot easier to get out of a lease than it is to try to sell a house.
Definitely wait for the paperwork to be finalized before making final arrangements for shipping. No harm in getting quotes now so you have an idea of what you will be looking at when the time comes though.
Good Luck with everything
My take on this as well! I would add that get an estate agent's valuation on your property just before you leave as well for capital gains/loss if you eventually do get PR and stay! This is also not the time to be converting a large amount of money into Canadian Dollars, although saying this I don't know if the pound will ever recover to where it was!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TS00
A large company will have applied for a bunch of LMOs, and will be part of the ALMO scheme - that's a fact! Large companies apply for a lot of LMOs, that's why the ALMO scheme exists.

What exactly is your problem?
My problem is that it's misleading to say a large company will have applied for a bunch of LMO's, just because it's a large company.

It's not a fact what you are saying. Just because a company is large doesn't mean it would have applied for a 'bunch of LMOs'.

My employer employs 10,000+ people. It is a very large employer. Up to now, my LMO from over 3 years ago is the only one they've ever been issued.
Under the provisions of the A-LMO scheme, even they would not be able to apply for an A-LMO.

The A-LMO scheme actually exists only to accelerate applications from all types of organisations, not for the sole convenience of large companies.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wolstie
My problem is that it's misleading to say a large company will have applied for a bunch of LMO's, just because it's a large company.

It's not a fact what you are saying. Just because a company is large doesn't mean it would have applied for a 'bunch of LMOs'.

My employer employs 10,000+ people. It is a very large employer. Up to now, my LMO from over 3 years ago is the only one they've ever been issued.
Under the provisions of the A-LMO scheme, even they would not be able to apply for an A-LMO.

The A-LMO scheme actually exists only to accelerate applications from all types of organisations, not for the sole convenience of large companies.
If what you say is true about your company, it is a *very unusual* situation. All large multinationals employing 10k people or more will have a significant flow of employees from other countries, and will be part of the ALMO scheme.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

If what you say is true about your company, it is a *very unusual* situation. All large multinationals employing 10k people or more will have a significant flow of employees from other countries, and will be part of the ALMO scheme.
I don't work for a multi-national. And, why wouldn't it be true?

Not every large company is global.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wolstie
I don't work for a multi-national. And, why wouldn't it be true?

Not every large company is global.
I'm just going to leave you to argue this one on your own.

What I said, for most real-world situations, is accurate.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:42 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I would not sell up until you have PR. More than one poster on here has had to go back home after being laid off from their LMO job.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm just going to leave you to argue this one on your own.

What I said, for most real-world situations, is accurate.
But it's not accurate at all. You state 'facts' but have nothing to back them up.

You are implying that all large companies, just because they are large, will have access to the A-LMO scheme. The 'fact' is, that simply isn't true, as demonstrated by my employer's situation.

I'll leave it at that.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Mrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really nice

Originally Posted by growingzoo
Hi
Been on this forum for a while but finally decided to post.
My husband, myself and children are planning on moving to Canada, my husband received a job offer today and now I am panicking and super excited. The company are planning on sorting out work permits etc and would like him there ASAP.
I suppose the questions I ask are what do I do first? Do I put the house on the market then start looking at shipping container companies? Do I wait for papers to be finalised? I think my husband will have to fly out first and I will follow with the children once things are sold and tied up in UK.
Any experiences and advice would be so helpful and reassuring.
Tahnks
We are also in the same situation. Hubby has ait so now waiting on his lmo. House is on the market, so hoping it all comes together at the same time. Best of luck
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:17 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Growing zoo, have you visited Canada before? I visited several times, and whilst I quite liked lots of aspects of it, I wasn't exactly bowled over. I'm getting to like it more now I'm living here, thank goodness, but I really would add my caution to that of others. Come to Canada, have a great adventure and a different experience, but don't sell your home or comit to anything until you are sure.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if they're a large multinational, then they'll just move employees to Canada using intra-company transfer TWP's.........for which no LMO is required.

FWIW, I don't think the size of the company has anything to do with A-LMO's. My husband's company is very large and has moved lots of employees over (including him), but all have been on intra-company transfer TWP's, so the company wouldn't be eligible for the A-LMO scheme.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 24th 2013 at 9:09 am.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Surely if they're a large multinational, then they'll just move employees to Canada using the intra-company transfer TWP program.........for which no LMO is required.
Stop pointing out the obvious
TBF though not everyone will qualify under the Intra Co Transferee.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Surely if they're a large multinational, then they'll just move employees to Canada using intra-company transfer TWP's.........for which no LMO is required.
My company is a large multinational. Yes, they do a lot of intra-company transfers, but they do even more TFW LMOs. This is because there are a lot of people they want to bring in who aren't already working for the company.

FWIW, I don't think the size of the company has anything to do with A-LMO's. My husband's company is very large and has moved lots of employees over (including him), but all have been on intra-company transfer TWP's, so the company wouldn't be eligible for the A-LMO scheme.
I don't understand why the logic is tripping people up here. ALMO doesn't have anything to do with the size of the company, except that large companies are far more likely to bring in TFWs, and so far more likely to be part of ALMO.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why the logic is tripping people up here.
Your logic you mean?

Your statement that 'a large company will have applied for a bunch of LMOs, and will be part of the ALMO scheme - that's a fact!' is one I happen to disagree with, as I know of numerous large companies that don't qualify for A-LMO's (and small ones that do). It doesn't mean that logic is tripping me up though just because I don't agree with your sweeping statement.

I also don't really understand why you're now saying that 'A-LMO doesn't have anything to do with the size of the company', which seems to be completely at odds with what you've said above? i.e. 'if it's a large company, they will be part of the Accelerated LMO (Labour Market Opinion) scheme', etc.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 24th 2013 at 9:51 am.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Your logic you mean?

Your statement that 'a large company will have applied for a bunch of LMOs, and will be part of the ALMO scheme - that's a fact!' is one I happen to disagree with, as I know of numerous large companies that don't qualify for A-LMO's (and small ones that do). It doesn't mean that logic is tripping me up though just because I don't agree with your sweeping statement.
Well, I obviously don't have the in-depth knowledge of vast numbers of large companies that you do, but the 4 I do know about all do ALMOs.

I don't know any small companies that have used ALMOs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.