Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping from UK to Canada

Shipping from UK to Canada

Old May 11th 2018, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

bathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping from UK to Canada

Hi,

I've trawled the forums for some information about shipping a small crate from the UK to Victoria, BC but I'm struggling to find the information I am looking for.

We are due to return to Canada permanently from the UK in 6 weeks time, and the only things left for us to think about are the things in our parents attics. We don't want them to have to deal with after we have left, so we'd ideally like to have the bits we can't fit in suitcases sent over to Canada.

It's not a great deal of stuff, we have a few boxes of things like memory boxes filled with photos, letters, small sentimental items and my wife wants to keep her wedding dress from 10 years ago. We also have a very expensive all-in-one computer that we'd like to package up and also have shipped to us. But that's it. Obviously we don't want to pay for a freight and I am struggling to find someone who will ship maybe a 3ft by 3ft cube crate of stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old May 12th 2018, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Gorbzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping from UK to Canada

One possible option is to simply courier the boxes by air freight. I shipped 14 boxes (1ft x 1ft x 1.5ft), totalling 200Kg, and the cost was the same as freight, but it took 4 days rather than 8 weeks. They tend to price bases on weight as opposed to sea freight which is volume.

Just know that couriers will throw your boxes around, some of mine turned up with gouges in them, but thankfully the contents were ok. I used ParcelHero (prices are ex-VAT and insurance can really up the overall cost).

Your computer, I would 100% recommend you take it apart before shipping and wrap up each expensive component individually. The rigours of shipping (and people throwing your boxes around) may cause damage.

See if that works for you.

Gorb
Old May 12th 2018, 4:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by Gorbzilla
One possible option is to simply courier the boxes by air freight. I shipped 14 boxes (1ft x 1ft x 1.5ft), totalling 200Kg, and the cost was the same as freight, but it took 4 days rather than 8 weeks. They tend to price bases on weight as opposed to sea freight which is volume.
All freight forwarders and couriers use cubed weight, whether by air or ocean. Air freight sticks rigidly to this.
DHL | Volumetric Weight: Express | English

Cubed weight for your shipment is under 20lbs per box, total 266lbs for 14 boxes, actual weight you stated was 440lbs.

Last edited by Aviator; May 12th 2018 at 4:15 pm.