British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Shipping toiletries (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/shipping-toiletries-802498/)

Granma Nessie Jul 10th 2013 4:39 pm

Shipping toiletries

Hi everyone, my shippers are coming on Monday for my goods and chattels. Can I just ask if anyone had a problem including toiletries like shampoo, perfume etc in with their items?

Thank you
Granma Nessie

Former Lancastrian Jul 10th 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Shipping toiletries

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie (Post 10793385)
Hi everyone, my shippers are coming on Monday for my goods and chattels. Can I just ask if anyone had a problem including toiletries like shampoo, perfume etc in with their items?

Thank you
Granma Nessie

They might freeze if shipped from November onwards :lol:
Shipping them is fine as you are probably aware by now that Canadian stores dont sell such items;)

Granma Nessie Jul 10th 2013 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10793672)
They might freeze if shipped from November onwards :lol:
Shipping them is fine as you are probably aware by now that Canadian stores dont sell such items;)

Thanks for setting my mind at rest Former Lancastrian:D. The ironic thing is that the shampoos and conditioners were bought in Canada on my annual trips and as I cannot get the make here , I kind of stocked up on them on my annual trips to .Canada! I have enough to last a few years I reckon so can spend my dollars on more essential items like chicken and cheese:sneaky:

james.mc Jul 11th 2013 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie (Post 10793692)
Thanks for setting my mind at rest Former Lancastrian:D. The ironic thing is that the shampoos and conditioners were bought in Canada on my annual trips and as I cannot get the make here , I kind of stocked up on them on my annual trips to .Canada! I have enough to last a few years I reckon so can spend my dollars on more essential items like chicken and cheese:sneaky:

If you have the space, pack all you can I say. :thumbup:

We packed no end of every day stuff like toiletries and stuff from under the kitchen sink already 'in stock' at our home. No point in dumping that kind of stuff and having to buy it all over again at the other end.

I wouldn't specifically buy anything to ship over though. As FL hints... it's likely available here already.

gemmab1979 Jul 11th 2013 4:21 am

I was made to unpack any toiletries that were a spray or aerosols fire hazard apparently alls I was left with were face wipes :/

Mikeypm Jul 11th 2013 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by gemmab1979 (Post 10794290)
I was made to unpack any toiletries that were a spray or aerosols fire hazard apparently alls I was left with were face wipes :/

Where the good face wipes? :rofl:

januarymix Jul 11th 2013 12:26 pm

We have stocked lots of toiletries, shaving creams ,makeup etc. Some of these are new. Would Canadian customs treat this as new goods and want to tax it?

Former Lancastrian Jul 11th 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by floatsy (Post 10794962)
We have stocked lots of toiletries, shaving creams ,makeup etc. Some of these are new. Would Canadian customs treat this as new goods and want to tax it?

They could do (highly unlikely) as the goods dont meet the owned, possession and use requirements.
Ownership, Possession, and Use

14. For the purposes of tariff item No. 9807.00.00:

(a) “ownership”
means that the settler has acquired, by purchase or other means, the legal right to have goods as personal property and to exercise control over their use and disposition. Goods which are leased do not qualify;
(b) “possession”
means that the settler has, in person, physically accepted the goods; and
(c) “use”
means that the settler has actually put the goods into an action or service for a purpose for which they were designed or intended.

james.mc Jul 11th 2013 3:46 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of shipping containers when packing all your stuff. Can't see how an aerosol can is a fire hazard and would not be allowed in the container when a vehicle with petrol in the tank is allowed?? Aerosols and other similar products are shipped throughout the world in containers all the time.

We shipped loads of garage related aerosol stuff.. mostly part used cans of WD40, spray grease, brake disc cleaner, spray paint and other garage/mechanical consumables. No hassle with that either.

Granma Nessie Jul 11th 2013 4:22 pm

Seems daft that ruling for you can take sprays and aerosols in your stowed luggage on a plane...:unsure:

Former Lancastrian Jul 11th 2013 6:41 pm

It all depends on who is shipping your goods or the moving companies policies with the shipper.
Some are stricter than others.
UPS, Fedex, DHL and the mail have similar policies about what can be shipped and what can't. Believe me Ive seen stuff shipped that shouldnt have been.
If its in a closed box how do they know whats in it and do they actually check.

Beaverquest Jul 11th 2013 6:55 pm

(a) “ownership”
means that the settler has acquired, by purchase or other means, the legal right to have goods as personal property and to exercise control over their use and disposition. Goods which are leased do not qualify;
(b) “possession”
(c) “use”
means that the settler has actually put the goods into an action or service for a purpose for which they were designed or intended.
(d) “brut”
naff seventies aftershave 'splash it all over' , man talc and soap on a rope
(specifically henry cooper unwanted christmas gift boxed set from Boots)will be deemed inadmissable to the new millenium

gemmab1979 Jul 12th 2013 5:38 am

Yep it was with a shipping company when I queried it he said they could spontaneously combust on the ship , right I said trying to keep a straight face..., good old Nivea mikey available however in Walmart only about 20 dollars a pack though so a choice well made I reckon lol...

januarymix Jul 12th 2013 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10795007)
They could do (highly unlikely) as the goods dont meet the owned, possession and use requirements.
Ownership, Possession, and Use

(a) “ownership”
(b) “possession”
(c) “use”

Thanks, Former Lancastrian - very helpful.

Granma Nessie Jul 12th 2013 3:34 pm

Just confirmed with my shippers, White and Co ,that sprays are ok but aerosoles are a no no.