Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping a tent

Shipping a tent

Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud of
Default Shipping a tent

Hi all,

Our shipment gets picked up in a couple of weeks and we are having a tent dilemma. I own my Dad's old camping tent from the 50's. It is an awesome thing and still in good condition and would be hard to find these days. It has huge sentimental value. We have washed it with a pressure washer so it is completely mud/grass free. It has a new bag and brand new pegs as well (the old ones were very bent). However, there are a few dirt marks on the outside that we just can't get rid of. Has anyone had any experience of bringing a tent over. Is this going to be a total nightmare. I'd really love to keep it but not at the expenses of a customs nightmare.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a tent

There will be more mud in your box of shoes....

I can't see them inspecting a tent and more than they would check a mattress for bed bugs.

We had four (illegal - not DOT marked) tyres in our shipment and they didn't even get unwrapped, despite our whole container being unloaded and re-loaded for inspection (and all of our bottles of spirits located and carefully placed in a box on the front seat of my Land Rover, as if to say 'we found them!'.

I'm sure there were more remnants of mud on my (very clean) Land Rover than your tent. That passed inspection.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

WW, we washed our tools down and said that ie marked the boxes verifying that there was no issue. I personally think it should be fine. It doesn't need to be 'clean' per se. We followed every rule in the book (as usual, we're such straight down knobheads ) but wished we had brought our alcohol with us. I think for a small item like yours where you've actually cleaned it it should be fine. It's not like a big block of soil, just dirty marks right?
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Congratz again by the way, 2 weeks woohoo
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for no problem with the tent. I too have imported gardening tools/equipment with no problems, & 2 tents IIRC. Alcohol did get confiscated (once), & a shipment of books caused all sorts of unnecessary kerfuffle.

I've had more fuss made over moving a boat from one village to the next inside Canada (but understand completely why)

S
Old Aug 24th 2014, 5:44 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Admitted a small two person tent,but we shipped the tent and all our camping gear. Not got round to using it yet, but there is always next year

Last edited by Mikeypm; Aug 24th 2014 at 5:52 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud of

Good to know! I would really hate to give it up. It's tiny and not great for family camping but I figured my son would love it when he is older. Vintage tents are pretty hard to come by I imagine. Living in a sea of boxes at the moment- can't wait for it all to be over!
Old Aug 24th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I brought a tent, and my car....and an Eglu cube henhouse (washed with Jeyes Fluid) and my garden furniture and tools...I amaze myself daily with the dreadful list of items that came....and I'd do it all over again! Had no problems and having my goods and chattels made me happier.

Very best of luck with your move, keep anything that has sentimental value as it acts as a comfort blanket...it does get better!
Old Aug 25th 2014, 3:34 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I brought a tent, and my car....and an Eglu cube henhouse (washed with Jeyes Fluid) and my garden furniture and tools...I amaze myself daily with the dreadful list of items that came....and I'd do it all over again! Had no problems and having my goods and chattels made me happier.

Very best of luck with your move, keep anything that has sentimental value as it acts as a comfort blanket...it does get better!
we brought all our "stuff" too and I don't really regret any of it. We've thrown away or replaced loads of it by now - but that's natural progression. Bring whatever you can get into your purchased space. There are recycling and disposal dumps in Canada just like in the UK - if you need them. In the meantime, like Millie says, "stuff" is a great comfort blanket or stop gap until you replace with local replacements. In the case of your tent, just shove it in the container and you'll be fine.
~Good luck with the move by the way!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Cedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the rough

We brought a tent in, spotlessly clean, packed in one of numerous boxes labelled as camping. No issues for us.