Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Son's Motorbike?

Shipping Son's Motorbike?

Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future
Default Shipping Son's Motorbike?

Good morning!

I am after some advice with regards to shipping a motorbike to Canada. We are aware that you can't take vehicles over and that the motorbike is obviously classed as a vehicle but someone has mentioned importing it as a temporary vehicle?

Our shipping company have told us to put it in the container, has anyone out there had any experience of this please?

The reason we are trying so hard to ship the bike is that it's my son's first motorbike, he has only been on it once therefore it's absoloutely brand new. It is a 125cc import pitt bike and I think it would be difficult to find a similar replacement.

Hope someone can offer me some advice please??

Kind regards,

Tamsin
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

jwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping Son's Motorbike?

Hi there,

I was under the impression you could import a viehicle, with some privisos:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P007

Regards,

James.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

ellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping Son's Motorbike?

Originally Posted by Tamsin8
Good morning!

I am after some advice with regards to shipping a motorbike to Canada. We are aware that you can't take vehicles over and that the motorbike is obviously classed as a vehicle but someone has mentioned importing it as a temporary vehicle?

Our shipping company have told us to put it in the container, has anyone out there had any experience of this please?

The reason we are trying so hard to ship the bike is that it's my son's first motorbike, he has only been on it once therefore it's absoloutely brand new. It is a 125cc import pitt bike and I think it would be difficult to find a similar replacement.

Hope someone can offer me some advice please??

Kind regards,

Tamsin
Tamsin hi.

My husband is looking to take his bike when we hopefully head out to Vancouver.

We have been told by our shipper that they will build a crate for the bike and include it with our container when shipped. Cost of crate and shipping it is around £300 extra I think, so well worth it. So sounds like we have had similar advice.

Once your there of course it would have to be straight to a dealer to make it road legal. We have identified a dealer in Vancouver (Honda) so am going to try and get the shipper to send it to the dealership direct rather than to our premises., then let them do there work.

The other option of course is to pay your local dealer here time and effort to get it compatible for Canada so you dont have the hastles when there.

If the bike is 15 yrs or older, should be no problem importing. If client is arriving on a work visa, no problem no matter what age the bike is but it would have to be exported once visa expires.

If neither of those apply, client must check with Transport Canada to ensure it is eligible for import here in Canada as it must been Canadian Safety Standards (just like automobiles). The website for them to check is:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...tion/index.htm

Let us know how you go

Lisa