Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping a sea kayak from UK to Vancouver?!

Shipping a sea kayak from UK to Vancouver?!

Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:46 am
Just Joined

rwall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a sea kayak from UK to Vancouver?!

hello all! Firstly I would like to say that I did make the move from the UK to Canada and it will be three years next month, upon which I return to visit family etc. Which brings me on to ask....

I am looking to buy a sea kayak there and return it with me, however, does anyone have any experience of any companies that might do this for me. It is approx 17' long and 1 1/2 - 2' wide! So it can't exactly come on the plane with me ;-)

Just for people's info, we used Allied Pickfords for moving all of our household stuff and found them to be very helpful. I have emailed them for a quote.

As for those that are still waiting to make the move, don't give up! It is worth every tear, frustration and disapointment. It will happen for you!

Thanks fo rnay advice.

Regards

Ritchie
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:43 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping a sea kayak from UK to Vancouver?!

Originally Posted by rwall
hello all! Firstly I would like to say that I did make the move from the UK to Canada and it will be three years next month, upon which I return to visit family etc. Which brings me on to ask....

I am looking to buy a sea kayak there and return it with me, however, does anyone have any experience of any companies that might do this for me. It is approx 17' long and 1 1/2 - 2' wide! So it can't exactly come on the plane with me ;-)

Just for people's info, we used Allied Pickfords for moving all of our household stuff and found them to be very helpful. I have emailed them for a quote.

As for those that are still waiting to make the move, don't give up! It is worth every tear, frustration and disapointment. It will happen for you!

Thanks fo rnay advice.

Regards

Ritchie
Are you sure it can't come on the plane with you? I have flown with 12 foot white water kayaks before (granted, not between Canada and UK).

Last edited by agr; Jan 26th 2009 at 12:44 pm. Reason: clarification
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:48 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rwall
I am looking to buy a sea kayak there and return it with me
Are they not cheaper to buy in BC + less hassle? I have a 16ft sea kayak and planned on selling it before the move and buying one in Canada.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Teremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really nice

You might want to check out the Ocean Kayak factory outlet store in Ferndale WA, 20 minutes from the BC Canadian/USA border. I brought a factory reject; paint was blemished, for 30 % of the retail cost.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

nichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud of

You'll get a more accurate answer by asking on the Sea forum of UKRGB, as there are lots of sea paddlers with extensive travel experience.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...wforum.php?f=4

In my own experience, I've travelled a lot with WW kayaks (<2.5m length) and its certainly harder than it was a few years ago. Many airlines have tightened up on restrictions and either banned kayaks outright (BA) or charge a hefty supplement for them. For a sea kayak of 4.5-5m in length, I doubt if it will be possible at all, probably too long for the containers?

As with the other replies, unless you've got a very good reason my suggestion would be to buy in BC. I sold all my WW kayaks when I left the UK and plan to buy again this spring, giving me the chance to try out some of the newer models. WW kayaks are certainly cheaper in Canada than the UK and can even be rented for silly money ($25 per weekend at MEC!). The sea kayak scene is so big here there seems to be loads of used boats on Craigslist & MEC Classifieds for a fraction of the UK price.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nichburton
You'll get a more accurate answer by asking on the Sea forum of UKRGB, as there are lots of sea paddlers with extensive travel experience.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...wforum.php?f=4

In my own experience, I've travelled a lot with WW kayaks (<2.5m length) and its certainly harder than it was a few years ago. Many airlines have tightened up on restrictions and either banned kayaks outright (BA) or charge a hefty supplement for them. For a sea kayak of 4.5-5m in length, I doubt if it will be possible at all, probably too long for the containers?

As with the other replies, unless you've got a very good reason my suggestion would be to buy in BC. I sold all my WW kayaks when I left the UK and plan to buy again this spring, giving me the chance to try out some of the newer models. WW kayaks are certainly cheaper in Canada than the UK and can even be rented for silly money ($25 per weekend at MEC!). The sea kayak scene is so big here there seems to be loads of used boats on Craigslist & MEC Classifieds for a fraction of the UK price.

Thanks for that useful info nichburton, we were planning on bringing two sea kayaks with us, but will have a re-think now!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

nichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud of

If you want to compare Canadian prices, then try these:

New kayaks: MEC kayaks and Deep Cove kayak shop.

Used kayaks: MEC classifieds and Craigslist