Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Report

Shipping Report

Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

redneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping Report

great thanks

Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyndseyhepworth
2 interesting accounts of White & Co, will watch out for the Leeds lot as they are the ones I have chosen for my shipping as well. I don't have many breakables and only 17 or so boxes so hopefully my things will survive. Will have to post another update on how it goes. The information I have got on shipping from here was invaluable.
As long as your there when they pack to make sure they pack all you want then you shouldn't have a problem.
Make sure you itemise everything of value.....I had murano glass clowns that were not packed correctly and although I only tried to claim 30 pound for them, they refused as I hadn't itemised it

Also make sure they let you know when the container is leaving and arriving.
They also failed to do this and I got a call at 7.40am on a Thursday from Edmonton Customs telling me that I needed to go by 11.30am that day to accept my container, as it had been sitting there for 2 days and we would have been charged $175 per day starting from when it arrived
Luckily hubby was able to get out of work, once there everything was very easy...thank goodness.

I am not trying to put you off, but just keep on top of them, the girl in the office, if still the same one, is slack! She also tells you what you want to hear, rather than the truth

Linda
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

lyndseyhepworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Linda, I will definitely keep an eye on them then! It is good that you have some feedback to give me, I think this is the first time I have seen anything on White & Co. on here and it is good to have a variety of opinions when it is such a big move.

Lynds
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pvt Chuff is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add our 10p! We used Robinsons, Wolverhampton to Vancouver Island and have to say we were shocked that everything worked out really well. We were there to supervise the packing in the UK and we unpacked this end, just got them to unload the stuff - but have to say, nothing was broken (until we got our hands on it) and nothing appears to be missing!

Managed to negotiate the price down to GBP 4250 with insurance, while a huge slice of our savings, we thought that not too bad for a 20ft.

We found out in the middle of the journey that the container would be opened, unpacked and reloaded onto a truck in Vancouver which did not please us! Apparently it's standard procedure due to scheduling and the ferry etc. However, although we were loaded with three other ex-pats (who we met when we cleared customs in Victoria - fellow members no less!! Beanz meanz Heinz eh???) onto a 72ft AMJ Campbell truck, we all got the right stuff on the right day to right address!! We were amazed!

We can only speak for ourselves, but would happily recommend them. Hope this is helpful and wish you all well with your logistics!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JasonnJane
Hi Susie
Small world...I had a smallholding near Barnard Castle with my ex husband, not far from west auckland. I will give Bishops Move a call. How long did you have your goods in storage before hand? Was this included in your price? I live in Billingham but dont know anyone from the college. I did when I left school, but that was quite a while ago as I am 42 today omg that sounds old lol. My friend who lives in Ontario did her nursery nurse course at stockton and billingham tech, that was about 25 years ago. They have knocked down the college now and built houses there. Where abouts in Calgary are you? Do you have any family? My 18 year old son and 5 year old daughter are moving with us although my 20 year old daughter is staying in Uk for now with her boyfriend, hopefully she will follow us over in the not too distant future. How have you found settling in Calgary?
Thanks for your advice
Jane
hi jane we had our goods in storage for 4 weeks free of charge ,the 25 pounds per week after that ,.i think storage is more this end.we live in cochrane which is north west calgary,just my husband,son,15 daughter ,11 and myself all have settled well .when are you planning to come. give me a pm if you want anymore advise and ill give you our phone no etc
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:24 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda P
As long as your there when they pack to make sure they pack all you want then you shouldn't have a problem.
Don't want to teach grannies to suck eggs, but having moved almost a dozen times in too few years (including 5 transatlantic), my recipe for removals includes:

- Show the packers you trust them as professionals
- Keep them plied with tea and hobnobs/timbits
- Be organised before they get there
- Maintain a sense of humour all day and share it
- Give them a tip, so that after they have looked after your stuff carefully at the depot, they can go out for a beer and unwind.

Others may have tried all this and still had trouble, but it has mostly worked for me.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by susie q
hi jane we had our goods in storage for 4 weeks free of charge ,the 25 pounds per week after that ,.i think storage is more this end.we live in cochrane which is north west calgary,just my husband,son,15 daughter ,11 and myself all have settled well .when are you planning to come. give me a pm if you want anymore advise and ill give you our phone no etc
Hi Susie
I cant find how to pm you???? We are planning to come over for research trip 1st of may, hopefully
Jane