Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Report

Shipping Report

Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:30 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Shipping Report

Amid all the horror stories, I just thought I would post a positive account. All our stuff arrived here in Edmonton last Friday, only 4 weeks after collection in the UK. White & Co packed it very well over the course of a couple of days (although I had done a lot of flat-packing prior). It all went into four large cartons, so was guaranteed to fit in our 20-foot container when loaded in Portsmouth.

Customs clearance in Edmonton was no problem, although it might have been: on landing in Mar 08 I was advised by Customs to submit the Goods to Follow list when we returned to settle permanently. On returning to settle in Jan 09 I was advised that the only opportunity is on first landing. A long discussion followed. I was able to identify the Customs officer who gave the Mar 08 advice, and it was all overlooked in the end.

There was no damage to anything. The delivery team (Matco) did a great job, unpacking everything and taking away all the packaging in less than a day. Having the front door open for 4 hours at minus 20 was not much fun for those of us standing around playing box-bingo!

Finally, if there's a Mr Spencer reading this, PM me and I'll give you a sighting report on your boxes 1 to 11, to which it appears we gave a free ride from the UK in our container.

Oh and Whites were the cheapest of our three quotes. Happy customer here!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

dejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping Report

Well done you. I'm jealous.

But I wonder if Mr. Spencer knows where his boxes 1-11 are.

- still extremely disgusted with our shipping company (Doree Bonner) and wishing I'd used someone else.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Hope you dont mind me asking, but could you tell me how much you paid for your shipping with Whites? I am currently getting quotes to go from Teesside to Calgary
Thanks
Jane
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JasonnJane
Hi
Hope you dont mind me asking, but could you tell me how much you paid for your shipping with Whites? I am currently getting quotes to go from Teesside to Calgary
Thanks
Jane
Hi Jane, I know somebody who used Whites about 4 months a go and the cost was £3600 to Calgary. No problems and nothing broken. Sam
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sam
thanks for that. We are actually wanting to have a look around Okotoks when we come on our research trip...hopefully early may time. From what I read and hear its sounds like a great place to live
Thanks again
Jane
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hi Jane, We love Okotoks, it has everything we need and we are very happy here. Please feel free to come and see us during your research trip, it would be nice to meet you. Sam
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:20 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
Hi Jane, I know somebody who used Whites about 4 months a go and the cost was £3600 to Calgary. No problems and nothing broken. Sam
Same here - £3600. Compared to my other quotes, and other prices posted here, it's a winning price and if they hold it I think they'll get lots of business.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:23 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Box bingo! ROFL - yup such a fun game in the snow!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad you had no problem.......we too used Whites & Co (Leeds) Unfortunately we had a different story, we were not in the UK when they packed.......they put china plates & cups in a plastic carrier and placed in a box on top of other things. We had a bag of bits!
There is quite a bit more but I won't bore everyone with it.

My advise would be to make sure you are there when they pack.

Linda
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

jane and jason we did Barnard Castle near Darlington to Calgary using Bishops Move in July 08. Cost 4 thousand pounds all in. Give Alan a ring and negotiate with him for a discount. We needed the storage in Newcastle before leaving to give us breathing space to get a property in Cochrane. Shipping took less than 4 weeks from Newcastle to Calgary. Customs clearance was easy. Do you know anybody from Stockt0n and Billingham College as I worked there for 17 years before coming out here. susieq
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:30 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Box bingo! ROFL - yup such a fun game in the snow!
Box Bingo I like it.

I joked with the guys and said a different number of the last box. You should have seen their faces, classic. They had a sence of humour
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by susie q
jane and jason we did Barnard Castle near Darlington to Calgary using Bishops Move in July 08. Cost 4 thousand pounds all in. Give Alan a ring and negotiate with him for a discount. We needed the storage in Newcastle before leaving to give us breathing space to get a property in Cochrane. Shipping took less than 4 weeks from Newcastle to Calgary. Customs clearance was easy. Do you know anybody from Stockt0n and Billingham College as I worked there for 17 years before coming out here. susieq

Hi Susie
Small world...I had a smallholding near Barnard Castle with my ex husband, not far from west auckland. I will give Bishops Move a call. How long did you have your goods in storage before hand? Was this included in your price? I live in Billingham but dont know anyone from the college. I did when I left school, but that was quite a while ago as I am 42 today omg that sounds old lol. My friend who lives in Ontario did her nursery nurse course at stockton and billingham tech, that was about 25 years ago. They have knocked down the college now and built houses there. Where abouts in Calgary are you? Do you have any family? My 18 year old son and 5 year old daughter are moving with us although my 20 year old daughter is staying in Uk for now with her boyfriend, hopefully she will follow us over in the not too distant future. How have you found settling in Calgary?
Thanks for your advice
Jane
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

lyndseyhepworth is an unknown quantity at this point

2 interesting accounts of White & Co, will watch out for the Leeds lot as they are the ones I have chosen for my shipping as well. I don't have many breakables and only 17 or so boxes so hopefully my things will survive. Will have to post another update on how it goes. The information I have got on shipping from here was invaluable.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

redneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to all

just a quick question,we are also looking into quotes to calgary, is this the company? http://www.whiteandcompany.co.uk/int...l_removals.php

if so we will add them to our list.

thanks
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

lyndseyhepworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it is. They have been proactive with calling me but not to the point of pushy and have answered all the questions I have had (plus gave me a generally good feeling about them).........we'll see how this ends with the shipping of the goods!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.