Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping a puppy unaccompanied

Shipping a puppy unaccompanied

Old Nov 13th 2016, 11:36 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping a puppy unaccompanied

I'm looking at getting a german shepherd pup in the UK - MiL knows the breeder very well but when 'googling' am getting contractdicting info so hopefully will get a definitive answer from people here.

The dog is currently 6 weeks old and looking at moving it here in 3 weeks. Air canada site states they won't ship less than 4 months old but can't find other airlines that say the same.

Canadian government site doesn't specify any age limit apart from less than 3 months no rabies required.

Air transat shows $275 for international transfer and I know about the $55 fee here for the arrival check.

After all that waffle, Basically I'm asking if anybody has done it DIY and without the pop being accompanied and what costs were involved.

Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2016, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a puppy unaccompanied

CBSA requirements
Dogs imported into Canada must have all necessary vaccines depending on the age of dog. A dog that is less than 3 months of age at the time of import does not require rabies vaccination. However, proof of a dog's age must be provided on request
Dogs imported into Canada will have a documentary inspection by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to ensure the animal's rabies vaccination is current and the animal description matches. The CBSA will also visually inspect the animal to ensure that there are no visible signs of illness. The CBSA may contact the CFIA when veterinary guidance or expertise is needed.

The current fees for this inspection are:

$30.00 + tax for the first animal in the shipment; and
$5.00 + tax for each additional animal in the shipment.
Personal imports of pet food from other countries are prohibited.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Fit to Fly certificate is needed.

Air Transat - no animal under 12 weeks can travel alone.
Flying With Pets and Airline-Approved Pet Carriers | Air Transat

Air Canada - 12 weeks
Your cat or dog must be at least 12 weeks old and fully weaned to be accepted for travel.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e.html#faq:0-*

Icelandair Cargo does not carry cats or dogs that are younger than 8 weeks of age
Pets

I wouldn't even consider sending a very young puppy - who hasn't long left it's mother - on an 8 hour flight in the hold (plus waiting time before and after the flight). The poor thing would be terrified! Could you not fly over and get it yourself (or better still, get one here)?

http://summerviewgermanshepherds.com/

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 14th 2016 at 12:19 am.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
CBSA requirements
Dogs imported into Canada must have all necessary vaccines depending on the age of dog. A dog that is less than 3 months of age at the time of import does not require rabies vaccination. However, proof of a dog's age must be provided on request
Dogs imported into Canada will have a documentary inspection by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to ensure the animal's rabies vaccination is current and the animal description matches. The CBSA will also visually inspect the animal to ensure that there are no visible signs of illness. The CBSA may contact the CFIA when veterinary guidance or expertise is needed.

The current fees for this inspection are:

$30.00 + tax for the first animal in the shipment; and
$5.00 + tax for each additional animal in the shipment.
Personal imports of pet food from other countries are prohibited.
Do the same rules apply when crossing from the US into Canada by land?

The CBSA person when we brought our dog over from the US as a puppy as we got her there, didn't even look at the dog, just wanted the ad to prove what we paid, and off we went.

I know you all have discretion as well as to doing things, but just curious if the rules are the same technically and we just got lucky?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

The CBSA person when we brought our dog over from the US as a puppy as we got her there, didn't even look at the dog, just wanted the ad to prove what we paid, and off we went.

I know you all have discretion as well as to doing things, but just curious if the rules are the same technically and we just got lucky?
You got lucky.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:03 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Yes but you cunningly disguised her as a sausage which you simply passed off as a light lunch snack

Last edited by Stinkypup; Nov 14th 2016 at 2:17 am.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The poor thing would be terrified! Could you not fly over and get it yourself (or better still, get one here)?

http://summerviewgermanshepherds.com/

+1
Plenty of dogs in animal shelters needing good homes as well. We got our cat from one. He is so grateful to be part of our family.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 15th 2016 at 7:25 am. Reason: fixed the quote
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:14 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with Snowy and FTTM - it would be cruel for such a baby to be stuck in a crate for 14 hours or so, recently separated from mum and siblings. I agree, There are perfectly good GSD breeders / rescue organisations here. Please think again.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 6:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Yes but you cunningly disguised her as a sausage which you simply passed off as a light lunch snack
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

<snip> how does "give your head a shake "work ?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 17th 2016 at 10:26 am. Reason: Repeating it isn't ok, although I guess I should be grateful you've left out the swearing this time. Sigh.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a bloody cruel thing to even contemplate.
What "good" breeder would allow a sale that involved that.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:46 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of breeders will ship dogs across North America. The breeder we got our dog from shipped one of the litter to BC which did give me some concern when they mentioned it, but I did some research and it seemed to be fairly common. Just not something I'd want to do personally.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My old boss would ship her golden retriever pups around the country.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:10 am
I need a walk

If I wanted a pup I would personally go get it - drive so we could be with him/her, let out for wee/poo stops and a play. If you want a dog enough then I believe get off your butt and go get them personally ."Shipping" a very young puppy, presumably by plane is unacceptable -for the same reasons as before IMO.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:40 am
Account Closed

I've never shipped a dog, but I have loaded a lot of dogs (and cats) into the bellies of planes, and man were they ever scared, and some terrified to the point they would be so far back in their kennel and completely frozen.

Most of the time they were puppies from breeders so young as well, always felt so bad for them.

We were at a small airport, so had the luxury of leaving the dogs/cats in the somewhat quiet baggage room until right before departure to minimize stress, but at large airports they might be taken out 30-60 mins before and left plane side with all those planes coming and going and no ear plugs, has got to hurt their ears considering how loud it is to a human ear even with ear plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.