Reload this Page >

Shipping possesions "DIY"

Wikiposts

Shipping possesions "DIY"

Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

DavidL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping possesions "DIY"

I know this has been talked about previously with regard to using a company to wrap,pack,load,deliver your possessions..........

i have had a quote from a company via a friend who worked for such a company, with the use of a 20' containerre you'll all agree (£1600+ INSURANCE)but we have to pack ourselves , is this something that is allowed, i've trawled some sites but anyone who has done this or knows ,please feel free to advise,i'm aware of the forms you have complete..................

.............mind you at this stage its only preperation work cos i reckon my file is propping some wonky table up at CHC......................

Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:17 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping possesions "DIY"

Originally Posted by DavidL
i reckon my file is propping some wonky table up at CHC......................

Have faith....tho the dust mites at CIC must surely live a long and healthy life, occasionaly a file or two does pop up and get seen to, that's when they have a clear out of the unoccupied desks and mouldy old sarnies, apple cores and 1972 pencils coverng up PR applications !

It must be like that true story where the guy died at his desk and they found out a few days later.

With PR, patience is a virtue, stress is a must-do.

Rich.

ps I jest, they do their absolute best I'm sure, we certainly can't complain whatsoever (lucky ones maybe or perhaps presented a good clean strong application ?)
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

From what the companies I had quote told me, it's absolutely fine to pack your own container. All it means, according to them, is that "...your stuff is going to break because you don't do this every day love, we're the experts, top of our profession, love, have you got another cup of tea? leave it to us..." - hah! I saw the way they tossed my stuff around.

They also said you're more likely to have customs do a complete search on your stuff and open every single item. Seems you're more likely to sneak a pound or two of bad stuff than an honest removal man. Not sure why, but there you have it. If you're not carrying anything you shouldn't be, I don't see the problem with that, probably a bit of inconvience and slight delay but it can happen randomly even if you did have it all packed "professionally" (used in the loosest sense of the word).

If you're happy to pack, save yourself the cash. Your quote is about half the price we paid for 20foot to YWG. And it hasn't even left the UK yet so I haven't seen what good the "professional packing service" has been to us by the number of breakages at the other end.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:54 am

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

What ever you do DON'T USE BRITANNIA! They are rubbish! My list of complaints against them is never ending but is short:

They told us maximum of 11 weeks to get our stuff to Calgary - actually it took 18 weeks and two days.

Britannia staff never returned any calls or emails - EVER.

Not one of them seemed to know what was going on any of the time. Our inquiries were all answered with I'll get back to you on that (see above).

In the brochure, they showed posh bubblewrap for all our fragiles - we got paper - I ask you?!?!

The Canadian hauliers measured our shipment at 25 cu ft less than Britannia in the UK - were we over charged?!?!

You get my drift.

I would certainly ship myself if I did it again - that way I would have some sort of control of what was going on - go for it and good luck.