Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping over goods. Experiences, basic questions

Shipping over goods. Experiences, basic questions

Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:27 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping over goods. Experiences, basic questions

Originally Posted by Goodbhoy
Yes, I agree. That is exactly what I tell customs though.
Not this time though, I will be applying for a TWP upon arrival at Pearson.

The Lawyer has compiled all the relevant paperwork.
Looks like I will be travelling on Wednesday now.
Have a good trip. I hope everything runs smoothly with the TWP. I'm sure it will. Will you be out East?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Have a good trip. I hope everything runs smoothly with the TWP. I'm sure it will. Will you be out East?
Thanks, I will be in Toronto until the 30th.
The Lawyer is pretty confident and all the paperwork looks good.

Plan to get the first couple of months under my belt before the Lawyer starts the PR routine but again, she feels confident on this also.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

GrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to all

Hi, reposted my experience for you, good luck in your new adventure.

Container from U.K to Toronto
Hi,

My Husband and I are in the process of moving to Canada, we had three quotes to pack our furniture into a 20ft container, the quotes came in between £4600 and £5400, they also said we would need to purchase our own insurance which for me broke the camels back, I wanted to know why they wanted me to pay £350 insurance for them to pack and move my stuff, surely it should be them insuring it considering they are packing it. so, after doing some homework on this site and others, we decided to have upakweship drop off a container and we packed it ourselves, it was shipped out of Liverpool on 3rd September, arrived in Montreal 12th and landed in Toronto via rail today 17th September, total price for this was £1700. it was hard work but worth the saving, we arranged insurance for £140 which was the same coverage the movers quoted but the extra money stayed in my pocket rather than theirs. a couple of tips we really feel we need to mention, buy plastic pallets to put your furniture on rather than untreated wood, dont pack any pine cones or any untreated wood otherwise they will need to fumigate your container, make sure the shipping company forward your telex release form (we had to chase that up today but an easy mistake) otherwise they wont release the container without it. Chris Smith at upakweship was very helpful and provided us with all the documentation we needed, we did have to pay $385.00 Canadian when it landed and I am sure my husband knows what this was for but I have no idea lol..we took photos of everything what went into the container, we itemised what was in every single box and they want a total of all items in the container, we had a total of 174 items, we had no trouble at customs and they told us because we had itemised everything they would not need to do an inspection which would have cost us $500.00 cdn. the lists are very important, for example, we would put Christmas decorations and then in brackets, write that there are no pine cones, we would write that any items with batteries would have the batteries removed, they just want to know that you are taking your move serious and you have done everything in your power not to bring any tainted items, we power washed all the tools and left behind any rusty hammers etc. the content insurance was recommended on this site, Brian Naughton <snipped>

My husband just asked me to add a couple of things, he says the container ends up at the CP rail yard in Vaughan, you can then hire a company called International freight forwarders <snipped> to take the container to your new home or storage, the owners name is Amir and the drivers name is Nick, they have also been very helpful. we paid $325 tax included for this service and other companies quoted $600.

I thought I would send this information whilst still fresh in my mind, was it hard work? absolutely,but we would do it again in a flash, every item has been packed by both my husband and I and no moving company would have packed my possessions with more care than we did.
Hope this helps someone

Lynn
Old Jan 11th 2015, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Hello we sold everything before we moved ,white goods,tv and anything electrical is not worth bringing .worked out a lot cheaper to buy new in canada(bed sizes are different in canada)
Hope this helps
Old Jan 11th 2015, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GrandmaLynn
Hi, reposted my experience for you, good luck in your new adventure.

Container from U.K to Toronto
Hi,

My Husband and I are in the process of moving to Canada, we had three quotes to pack our furniture into a 20ft container, the quotes came in between £4600 and £5400, they also said we would need to purchase our own insurance which for me broke the camels back, I wanted to know why they wanted me to pay £350 insurance for them to pack and move my stuff, surely it should be them insuring it considering they are packing it. so, after doing some homework on this site and others, we decided to have upakweship drop off a container and we packed it ourselves, it was shipped out of Liverpool on 3rd September, arrived in Montreal 12th and landed in Toronto via rail today 17th September, total price for this was £1700. it was hard work but worth the saving, we arranged insurance for £140 which was the same coverage the movers quoted but the extra money stayed in my pocket rather than theirs. a couple of tips we really feel we need to mention, buy plastic pallets to put your furniture on rather than untreated wood, dont pack any pine cones or any untreated wood otherwise they will need to fumigate your container, make sure the shipping company forward your telex release form (we had to chase that up today but an easy mistake) otherwise they wont release the container without it. Chris Smith at upakweship was very helpful and provided us with all the documentation we needed, we did have to pay $385.00 Canadian when it landed and I am sure my husband knows what this was for but I have no idea lol..we took photos of everything what went into the container, we itemised what was in every single box and they want a total of all items in the container, we had a total of 174 items, we had no trouble at customs and they told us because we had itemised everything they would not need to do an inspection which would have cost us $500.00 cdn. the lists are very important, for example, we would put Christmas decorations and then in brackets, write that there are no pine cones, we would write that any items with batteries would have the batteries removed, they just want to know that you are taking your move serious and you have done everything in your power not to bring any tainted items, we power washed all the tools and left behind any rusty hammers etc. the content insurance was recommended on this site, Brian Naughton <snipped>

My husband just asked me to add a couple of things, he says the container ends up at the CP rail yard in Vaughan, you can then hire a company called International freight forwarders <snipped> to take the container to your new home or storage, the owners name is Amir and the drivers name is Nick, they have also been very helpful. we paid $325 tax included for this service and other companies quoted $600.

I thought I would send this information whilst still fresh in my mind, was it hard work? absolutely,but we would do it again in a flash, every item has been packed by both my husband and I and no moving company would have packed my possessions with more care than we did.
Hope this helps someone

Lynn
I may need to look at alternative option as I don't think I will be able to pack it myself due to actually being in Canada working although it sounds like a good deal.

I would not like to leave my wife to do all that in the UKy herself.
Old May 6th 2015, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

CJ2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this info on beds...just considering taking them FROM Canada to the UK.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:30 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJ2015
Thanks for this info on beds...just considering taking them FROM Canada to the UK.
You will be forever buying sheets in Canada then, since North American mattresses tend to be a bit bigger...
Old May 7th 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We brought everything with us and got rid of a ton of stuff. We filled a 20 foot container to the rafters.

We used GB Liners as I trawled through around 30 pages of info on here and they were the ones with the best reviews. A couple of things got damaged but to be expected.

We didn't bring many white goods - microwave didn't work over here and neither did the lawnmower. TV works just fine and still going strong.

Like another poster we had some really decent furniture that we weren't going to sell for a song.

We shipped 10 days before we left and just borrowed stuff from friends to get by. Our bed was old in the UK so we used that and then dumped it last minute.

When we arrived people helped us out here (people from this site funnily enough) and our stuff arrived in under 3 weeks. We stayed in a hotel the first week.

Cars - we had to put a huge deposit down to get one but still managed to finance the rest.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!