Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

shipping a motorcycle

shipping a motorcycle

Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: shipping a motorcycle

I had to take a 2 part Motorcycle test in Ontario. First part was at the licencing centre, riding through pylons etc. 2nd part was 18 months later ( I think), a typical road test where a car follows you around and gives instructions through a head set.....i couldn't hear a bloody thing, but still passed.
Sold my last bike 3 years ago after a hefty speeding ticket........(CBR600F4)
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

New Brunswick will change you bike licence as well. Stop there on your way in and change it. Then move on and get it replaced where you want to be
Old Feb 19th 2011, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Will they change it even if my permanent address was in Ontario?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

My brother in law recently did this, they live in ns. I think they gave an address at a local hotel and then changed their paper temporary licence in NS. I will check this is how he did it for you can confirm.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

In Bc they will exchange your UK bike licence for a BC one - no test needed
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesidds
This is great news!

I'm still going to sell my HD Sportster 1200 here because of the hassle and space issues of shipping it when we are already going to fill a 40' high cube. The life style change may mean that I don't actually want another bike, buying my brother's wife's 27' sloop and sailing it may will be enough of a way to enjoy my free summer time days. I can't quite see it yet because I've always had a bike.....we'll see.....
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
This is great news!

I'm still going to sell my HD Sportster 1200 here because of the hassle and space issues of shipping it when we are already going to fill a 40' high cube. The life style change may mean that I don't actually want another bike, buying my brother's wife's 27' sloop and sailing it may will be enough of a way to enjoy my free summer time days. I can't quite see it yet because I've always had a bike.....we'll see.....
I have found that having a bike here doe not hold the same appeal as it did in the UK. Owned a couple of bikes here for a couple of years and didn't use them, sold the GSXR last year, planning on selling the little RD 400 this year. However, if a RD(Z)350 YPVS turned up I will be very very tempted to the point of a pouty face.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I have found that having a bike here doe not hold the same appeal as it did in the UK. Owned a couple of bikes here for a couple of years and didn't use them, sold the GSXR last year, planning on selling the little RD 400 this year. However, if a RD(Z)350 YPVS turned up I will be very very tempted to the point of a pouty face.
Oh my.....I had an Rd 350LC in Reading, UK. God, i almost died on that a few times!! What a bike for it's size!!
Seen a few advertised in SW Ontario for like + $3500 !!
I would be interested in your 400.
Simon.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
This is great news!

Yeah, my oh sold his harley dyna, ural and 650honda before we came here. He's bought a 650 Honda dual sport which is great for when he gets that "two wheel" urge and its a lot of fun off road!!!! But like you say, there are so many other options out here, there's just not enough time or money to do it all!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:38 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonB1964
Oh my.....I had an Rd 350LC in Reading, UK. God, i almost died on that a few times!! What a bike for it's size!!
Seen a few advertised in SW Ontario for like + $3500 !!
I would be interested in your 400.
Simon.
I'll let you know if it goes up for sale
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:44 am
Just Joined

shaunyboy247 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by big ron
Dont forget guys its another test to ride your new bikes in Canada
all i did when i was in alberta was get a canadian licence cost me $44 no test required
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:39 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesidds
Cool, thanks for the input on that
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by shaunyboy247
all i did when i was in alberta was get a canadian licence cost me $44 no test required
Your supposed to do a test, sometimes the staff in the licence shops don't quite know what they are doing
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Paul_BC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by james.mc
Paul
Can't you add it to the goods to follow list and ship it when it's 15 year old?

It is my understanding that items on the goods to follow list do not have to be brought in within a given time frame or is it different for vehicles? Can anyone confirm this?

I need to do some more research.
Thanks for the idea! I will look into that and also check what month it was manufactured in!