Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

shipping items from UK

shipping items from UK

Old Sep 1st 2017, 11:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping items from UK

Originally Posted by luckyirish91
I am hoping to ship an iMac to Toronto from London and its coming out at £170 (UPS) which I felt was expensive. The main reason for this is because it will be covered for up to £500 worth of damage should anything happen. After doing alot of research it appears there wasn't a cheaper option that would cover damage. If anyone has any alternative options that would be great help?
Careful...I sent my used laptop to my daughter in Toronto by UPS. She was hit with over $100 in duty. I assume it was because of the value stated for insurance.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 11:10 am
Just Joined

luckyirish91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Careful...I sent my used laptop to my daughter in Toronto by UPS. She was hit with over $100 in duty. I assume it was because of the value stated for insurance.
Thanks for the advice I didn't consider this..Stupid question why would you have to pay duty on an item you already own for the past 2 years?
Old Sep 1st 2017, 11:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luckyirish91
Thanks for the advice I didn't consider this..Stupid question why would you have to pay duty on an item you already own for the past 2 years?
I presumed it was import duty on the value.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I presumed it was import duty on the value.
Well depending how it was declared and the value for duty of the item as opposed to insured value and having it done with UPS then chances are

UPS Brokerage Fee minimum $25
There shouldn't have been any duty
PST and GST or HST 15% ash on the Canadian value it was declared at and if declared as a gift they would have knocked $60 off the value.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

fg123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Whats the approx value of the goods?
So they are not goods to follow so no B4 to be filled out.
Does the Royal mail have the bigger white declaration labels as opposed to the small green ones. I would be ticking off Gift and writing in the description part personal effects left in UK and approx value. SEE ATTACHED ENVELOPE.
In the envelope put in a short note as to what the goods actually are.

If a very low value Customs won't be concerned on collecting any taxes.
Im not going to tell you to lie but there are creative ways of telling the truth when the UK only gives you a tick box.

unfortunately not very low value - personal effects - records (yes, records!) cds, + clothes, books etc... customs-wise - of course put low value, however insurance-wise would need to be right (>$60).
seems harsh to be at the discretion of customs as to whether have to pay duty or not - on my own items.
basically looks like i have missed the boat (!), and should have organised this a while ago while the 'goods to follow' option was still applicable.
looks like i shall remain obliged to pay duty on sentimental stuff that has been gathering dust /mould in uk! arguably cheaper to buy new replacement items here...

thanks for the input!
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fg123
unfortunately not very low value - personal effects - records (yes, records!) cds, + clothes, books etc... customs-wise - of course put low value, however insurance-wise would need to be right (>$60).
seems harsh to be at the discretion of customs as to whether have to pay duty or not - on my own items.
basically looks like i have missed the boat (!), and should have organised this a while ago while the 'goods to follow' option was still applicable.
looks like i shall remain obliged to pay duty on sentimental stuff that has been gathering dust /mould in uk! arguably cheaper to buy new replacement items here...

thanks for the input!
And there is your dilemma you had a chance to declare the goods as goods to follow even if you were not sure you would bring them. Why is it harsh to be at the discretion of the CBSA officer who will make a decision to charge or not. We have a job to do. I can guarantee if they didn't charge you wouldn't be calling the decision harsh
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

fg123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And there is your dilemma you had a chance to declare the goods as goods to follow even if you were not sure you would bring them. Why is it harsh to be at the discretion of the CBSA officer who will make a decision to charge or not. We have a job to do. I can guarantee if they didn't charge you wouldn't be calling the decision harsh
absolutely! i just meant that i thought the amount charged would be discretionary, in spite of steadfast rules being in place.
Of course, not harsh if items squeeze through!

further, what would be the maximum duty to be paid? gst/pst or hst of the delcared value?

thanks again!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fg123
absolutely! i just meant that i thought the amount charged would be discretionary, in spite of steadfast rules being in place.
Of course, not harsh if items squeeze through!

further, what would be the maximum duty to be paid? gst/pst or hst of the delcared value?

thanks again!
The way its supposed to work is this

1. A Canadian dollar value is assigned to a particular item or group of goods. Now this value could be problematic if both sides can't agree. Fair Market value is normally used for used goods.

2. If applicable the duty rate if any is applied e.g. 3%.

3. This then gives a total for GST and PST/HST where applicable.

4. Now dependent on the items there could be additional taxes like excise tax however most goods don't attract this.

So here is an example

Group of goods is worth $3000 Canadian.

Say the duty rate is 2% that would be $60 in duty. $3000 x 2% = $60
Add that to the $3000 you now have a total of $3060 for tax

GST is 5% so 3060 x 5% = $153
PST is say 7% so 3060 x 7% = $214.20

So Total payable is $60 + $153 + $214.20 = $427.20 payable to CBSA.

Duty is determined on the country the goods were manufactured in and if there is a trade deal like NAFTA or CETA in effect to determine if any rate of duty.