Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping - I'm so mad

Shipping - I'm so mad

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:28 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping - I'm so mad

Originally Posted by Maplease
Hi SchnookoLoly,

We had PSS; Fox and A N other, which I can't remember. A N Other was way over and the other two were pretty similar.
Interesting... only thing I can think then is that you guys ended up packing more than you thought you would - easily done, we almost did that.

I think you just need to examine the difference between what they quoted and what they packed to sort out where they low-balled.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Interesting... only thing I can think then is that you guys ended up packing more than you thought you would - easily done, we almost did that.

I think you just need to examine the difference between what they quoted and what they packed to sort out where they low-balled.
Yep. You live and learn. We have been talking about this (sad but true) and my other half said he thinks the issue was that as the estimator was walking round the house opening a cupboard and saying, 'right, so that fits in there and that's all going' and when the packers came they emptied everything out and put them in boxes, probably because of the weight. Therefore, the cubic feet would go over. I'm sure that we did have more stuff than anticipated, but not enough to warrant £744. We expected something, but just not that much. Anyway, tonight I logged an official complaint with BARS. Thought it was worth a try. We'll see if it does anything. Another thing that annoyed me is they kept reiterating that they could hold our goods if we didn't pay. We never ever ever, not once, said that we wouldn't pay them, but there was this constant veiled threat that they could do this. We have paid in full and I shall now proceed via BAR and contact the other association they are linked to. Good news is that they have told us when the goods will arrive. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with BAR.

Cheers,

Maplease
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:51 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

We have just requested our stuff to be sent to Manitoba. The price Whites quoted back in March, was the price we paid to settle our account a couple of days ago. Not sure why a company would quote a price then add some more on because they underestimated it? I reckon you have a good case for getting the extra paid back. Good luck

Regards

Andrew
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
We have just requested our stuff to be sent to Manitoba. The price Whites quoted back in March, was the price we paid to settle our account a couple of days ago. Not sure why a company would quote a price then add some more on because they underestimated it? I reckon you have a good case for getting the extra paid back. Good luck

Regards

Andrew
Thanks. I don't hold out much hope but it's worth a dabble.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I promised to update you so here goes. Went to BARs and went to mediation (the gentleman that worked on our case was great). Anyway, PSS made a paltry offer and I thought a compromise would be to meet them half way. They didn't agree.

I am considering going to arbitration but need to research the cost/time etc. The more I looked into it the more their system seems to be at fault and I have provided a number of examples. However, they refuse to budge. In the mean time, if anyone asks, I shall be advising them against using this company as they seem, in my opinion, wholly unaware of what the estimators are saying to the clients and how the packers actually pack.

If anyone wants to PM me for me details then feel free.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry for all your hassle. The whole shipping process is terrifying. They really are holding you to ransom & they know it, which seems to have been a problem for quite a few people on this forum.

We had a quote based on a number of cubic feet given by us & it was for packing & shipping. By the time it came for them to get it, we knew we were over. The quote was for 170 cuft & the removals people said it would be approx 200 cuft when they collected it. When we had the final invoice, it was for 197 cuft & only added £224 to the cost. They were so good & all our stuff arrived fine. One very small breakage & a bit of frost probs with a couple of snowglobes due to being stuck in Vancouver for 3 weeks during winter!

The company we used was Eagle Relocations Ltd.

Good luck. Hope it all gets sorted asap. It's the one time you don't need additional stress.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlmostThere12
So sorry for all your hassle. The whole shipping process is terrifying. They really are holding you to ransom & they know it, which seems to have been a problem for quite a few people on this forum.

We had a quote based on a number of cubic feet given by us & it was for packing & shipping. By the time it came for them to get it, we knew we were over. The quote was for 170 cuft & the removals people said it would be approx 200 cuft when they collected it. When we had the final invoice, it was for 197 cuft & only added £224 to the cost. They were so good & all our stuff arrived fine. One very small breakage & a bit of frost probs with a couple of snowglobes due to being stuck in Vancouver for 3 weeks during winter!

The company we used was Eagle Relocations Ltd.

Good luck. Hope it all gets sorted asap. It's the one time you don't need additional stress.
Thanks for your post. Our problem really seems to have been the estimator, but you live and learn. It just seems that you hire these people because you think they know what they are doing and then they hold you to ransom. I certainly won't be recommending them to anyone and would never use them again.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

We used Anglo Pacific for a part container, paid the estimated amount of x cubic feet, when the packers came in I actually asked them how much space we had used and the bloke said it was way under what we had pre-paid. I called their office about this, she said, oh, no, it was spot on. Hmm I thought, oh well, we paid and I'm not going to lose sleep over a few quid.

Anyway when the shipment arrived in Vancouver we couldn't receive it immediately so Bekins put it into storage for us - amazingly charging us for almost 1/3 cubic footage less than what we paid to AP. Emailed - got out of office - stress leave. Never heard back from anyone else.

Moral of the story, they're all as bad as each other. Sorry you got hosed too, last thing you want when already under the stress of moving countries.
Helen
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HPJOS
We used Anglo Pacific for a part container, paid the estimated amount of x cubic feet, when the packers came in I actually asked them how much space we had used and the bloke said it was way under what we had pre-paid. I called their office about this, she said, oh, no, it was spot on. Hmm I thought, oh well, we paid and I'm not going to lose sleep over a few quid.

Anyway when the shipment arrived in Vancouver we couldn't receive it immediately so Bekins put it into storage for us - amazingly charging us for almost 1/3 cubic footage less than what we paid to AP. Emailed - got out of office - stress leave. Never heard back from anyone else.

Moral of the story, they're all as bad as each other. Sorry you got hosed too, last thing you want when already under the stress of moving countries.
Helen
Maybe we should introduce a league table!
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:50 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to keep an eye out for is how they pack stuff, we got our shipped stuff this week and they had put quite heavy garden pots in with DVD's. We also found some glasses, crystal and a few other bits broken. Plus some tears in the bottom of our sofa. Not claimed on the insurance yet so I will let everyone know how that goes.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 12:21 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

check inside your DVD cases
some of ours arrived sans DVD
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 3:17 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
check inside your DVD cases
some of ours arrived sans DVD
Ohh that sucks I will get on to that and double check. We have an antique teak dresser family heirloom my grandparents got from Denmark. It's very solid and the managed bend one of the draw knobs and managed to take a chunk out of the metal on the knob too. It is quiet annoying as it's managed to survive various moves undamaged until it got in the hands of our shippers.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 8:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Another thing to keep an eye out for is how they pack stuff, we got our shipped stuff this week and they had put quite heavy garden pots in with DVD's. We also found some glasses, crystal and a few other bits broken. Plus some tears in the bottom of our sofa. Not claimed on the insurance yet so I will let everyone know how that goes.
They will try and give you the insurance value for a 1 off glass or how ever many were broken but not the set - and you can't generally buy glasses/crystal as a 1 off item. Insist and they will give you 50% value of the cost of a full set, with the balance paid if you show them you purchased the full set. With mine, they left them loose in a draw inside a box with no wrapping. I was not amused.

Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:33 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
They will try and give you the insurance value for a 1 off glass or how ever many were broken but not the set - and you can't generally buy glasses/crystal as a 1 off item. Insist and they will give you 50% value of the cost of a full set, with the balance paid if you show them you purchased the full set. With mine, they left them loose in a draw inside a box with no wrapping. I was not amused.

Needs to check what the insurance policy covers. They will only pay out for what is stipulated. Insurance companys are very hard ass these days.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

GrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to all

We packed everything ourselves into a 20 foot container from upweship international, paid £1700, no extra fees and not one thing was broken.
Regards
Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.