Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping household goods 2018

Shipping household goods 2018

Old Nov 17th 2018, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping household goods 2018

Not surprised at the liquor .....

....... didn't you realise that your connecting flight was DOMESTIC, and you are not allowed to carry bottles of alcohol through security and onto a domestic flight?

One missed bit of information research, I'm afraid.

Otherwise, welcome to Canada.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point

Slapped wrist duly noted. They were not objecting to the liquor per se, just the bag it was in. At no point did they tell us taking duty free alcohol from an international flight straight on to a domestic flight was not permitted, we were told that if the bag had had a smiley face and some stripes it would have been accepted.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Yesterday, our container arrived at the customs terminal in Toronto. We were advised that we had to take our stamped goods to follow, the packing manifest and a new form our shippers emailed us to CBSA at Toronto airport immediately or they would charge $200 a day storage. We did the 2.5 hour drive and spent probably 2 minute walking straight up to a free CBSA guy who casually looked at the list, then wrote the number on our new form, stamped it and handed it back to us saying we had to give that back to our movers so they could get the container released.

we photo'd the form and emailed it to the shipper. They got the container released. Now scheduled for a Monday delivery and unpack!

I hope you too will find the next part of your goods to follow a non-event as well!
Old Nov 17th 2018, 2:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goneforgood

As we have spent months packing our stuff already we really didn't need the packing service. Shipping companies make most of their profit from this aspect of the business and aren't too keen to let you do your own (with White's even saying they would have to unpack everything and repack it). Quotes with this service came in at between £7000 and £8000 . That is far more than we want to pay....we love our stuff, but not that much.

.UpakWeship came in with the most sensible quote at £4600 and we have decided to go with that. So far they have been just fine, responding to emails promptly and organising the collection of our stuff in their container to our schedule in November. Shipping a container across the Atlantic in November wouldn't have been my first choice, but the timing was not ours to control.
Those quotes all made me gasp. We paid £3,250 a few months ago, and that included:

Sole use of a 20 foot container
3 employees of the removal company spending two days in our UK home, dismantling all furniture and carefully wrapping and packing every item, and creating a detailed shipping manifold
All export and import documentation
Shipping from the UK to Fremantle, Australia
Customs and Quarantine clearance
Delivery of container from Fremantle to our home in Perth
Putting all furniture back together and placing to our requirements, placing boxes in rooms to our requirements. They also offered to unpack our boxes but we preferred to do that ourselves.
Not one item was broken or damaged.

I don't understand the disparity in costs - some companies are making a huge profit it seems!
Old Nov 18th 2018, 5:07 am
Just Joined

CaliGirlUK is an unknown quantity at this point

spouse of scouse which shipping company did you use? That’s a fantastic deal! Every quote I received for shipping from US to UK have been $8K +! :/ We have about a 2 bed apartment’s worth of stuff, including furniture.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 5:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Not surprised at the liquor .....

....... didn't you realise that your connecting flight was DOMESTIC, and you are not allowed to carry bottles of alcohol through security and onto a domestic flight?

One missed bit of information research, I'm afraid.

Otherwise, welcome to Canada.
For security reasons many countries do not allow more than 100 ml of liquids in hand luggage. I am very surprised the OP managed to get a large bottle through security.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 5:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For security reasons many countries do not allow more than 100 ml of liquids in hand luggage. I am very surprised the OP managed to get a large bottle through security.
If the OP bought them in Duty Free at Gatwick, that's after security there, and they would then be able to take the bottles onto the international flight. However I guess Canada is the same as the UK, you cannot then take the Duty Free through the next step of security onto a Domestic Flight. Sounds like that was where they got refused. You see a lot of people at Gatwick and Heathrow who have flown longhaul with a stop in Singapore or somewhere, who bought alcohol and now find the bottles cannot be taken onto domestic flights.
Often they blame the retailers, but surely its the traveller's responsibility to read the rules.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 12:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliGirlUK
spouse of scouse which shipping company did you use? That’s a fantastic deal! Every quote I received for shipping from US to UK have been $8K +! :/ We have about a 2 bed apartment’s worth of stuff, including furniture.
Hi CaliGirl - I used the Chester UK branch of Britannia Cestrian. I have to apologise though as I put the wrong cost in, it was £3,750. I was pleased with the price, the highest quote I received was £5,000. I called for quotes on a few different websites set up for that purpose. I ignored the ones that sent me quotes without actually knowing what the shipment would consist of, and had 5 companies do what they call an 'in home survey' where they go right through your house and note the volume of the shipment.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point

Update.....our container has arrived. We originally faced travelling from Creston, BC to Calgary, Alberta to clear it through customs....a lunatic exercise of transporting the container by rail from Vancouver port past Creston to Calgary, clearing it in person and then having it trucked all the way back to Creston. That was so insane (especially at this time of year) we had to find a way to make it rational. The obvious solution was to have it trucked from Vancouver under bond to the border post 20 minutes down the road from Creston where we could clear customs in a sedate and orderly fashion without an epic winter journey over the mountains to the next province.

This was fantastic, customs clearance took a few minutes and a couple of stamps. They didn't even ask to look at my passport and I didn't have to sign anything. The Advice Note that is the other documentation required apart from the Goods to Follow forms stamped at our arrival airport, was provided by the driver of the truck.

We can't fault UPakWeShip. Their price was very competitive, their communication first class and they got the job done. If you are prepared to do your own packing (and we preferred this as we then had a detailed inventory of exactly what was in every numbered box) then we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this company. The container left the UK on November 14th 2018 and arrived on our doorstep in Creston on January 4th, 2019. James Read was our contact with UPakWeShip.