Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping goods to follow

Shipping goods to follow

Old Jan 1st 2023, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Antwerp_Belgian is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shipping goods to follow

Hi all, I had a question about the goods to follow. Last april I did my soft landing and activated my PR. When landing, the CBSA inspected and stamped my list with goods accompanying and goods to follow (I know the last one does not need to be stamped at that point but the border agent did not get it so he inspected and stamped both). After the soft landing I stayed in Canada for 3 weeks and went back to Belgium.
My question is: can I ship goods on this goods to follow list by regular mail from Belgium to an address in Canada (from a friend or family member) customs and tax-free? If so, how do I do this? Do I just include the stamped goods to follow list with the package? Or can this only be done through a special shipping company that handles customs (like I've read about here on the forum).
I did read the wikipage on goods to follow and it mentions the goods need to arrive either together with or after you arrive in Canada, but I'm not sure whether that means: arriving as a settler permanently or arriving to activate your PR (since that is when I got the list stamped). We're not talking shipping containers here but just a few heavier personal items that would be hard to take in my luggage. A follow up question would be: if I can't ship the goods customs and tax free that way, can I just send them without incurring customs to a family member or friend already in Canada if the value stays under a certain treshold?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old Jan 1st 2023, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping goods to follow

When you did the soft landing was a B4 form completed for you by CBSA? Did you tell them that you were not establishing a residence? When do you expect to take up full residence in Canada i.e start living here permanently?

What I suggest you do is read over this CBSA Memorandum and pay attention to paragraphs 9, 10, 11, 14, 17 - 23, and 27 - 30.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Antwerp_Belgian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping goods to follow

Yes, the correct form was completed. I told them I was coming to activate my PR but that I was going to return home to empty our apartment, pick up my cat etc. The border officer seemed somewhat confused at the idea of landing but not taking everything and coming back later (the soft landing). He did not press the issue any further. I expect to take up full residence in Canada on the 1st of May of this year. We have our flights booked.

Thanks for the reply. I read through the paragraphs and it seems there is a risk they would not grant those goods I send over the customs exemption because I am not a resident yet.
If I understand it correctly the goods would need to arrive either at the same time as I do or after me, not before I do.