Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping A Few Belongings

Shipping A Few Belongings

Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:47 pm
Keep Calm & Carry On

broonn will become famous soon enoughbroonn will become famous soon enough
Default Shipping A Few Belongings

Well, things are moving along. I leave my job on November 20th in line with my current goal. I'm not looking to move much over to Canada, but I do have some belongings I wish to send over (books, photos, etc). No furniture.

What's the best way to send this? Hire part of a container?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping A Few Belongings

maybe try excess baggage, they are one of the cheapest at the moment, and i called BA up to ask about cargo and was redirected to them, apart from that there are a few just do a search on shipping and see what comes up.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:02 pm
Keep Calm & Carry On

broonn will become famous soon enoughbroonn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MR79
maybe try excess baggage, they are one of the cheapest at the moment, and i called BA up to ask about cargo and was redirected to them, apart from that there are a few just do a search on shipping and see what comes up.
At first I thought you meant taking extra luggage onto the flight; until I starting thinking a little more laterally

http://www.excess-baggage.com

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

oh yeh forget to say that, yes its the company not literally taking excess baggage on the flight, thats a rip off at most times, its the company BA use so im sure they must be ok...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:15 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

AC allow you to prebook and prepay for additional bags.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...pc_prepay.html

$175 for each additional bag up to 32kg. Could be less hassle depending how much you wanting to take.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:40 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Shove your books on Ebay to make it easier. Unless you re-read them all often that is.

For your pictures, BA has an infinite carry-on baggage weight allowance (within a specific size) so if you can fit them into a small case + any extras into your 2x checked luggage allowance...........

Depends on your budget i guess.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped approx 40 boxes and no furniture and the company was great and cost us approx 1300 pounds which we didn't think was too bad and took about 6 weeks from them picking up to delivering to our door in Canada
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Shove your books on Ebay to make it easier. Unless you re-read them all often that is.

For your pictures, BA has an infinite carry-on baggage weight allowance (within a specific size) so if you can fit them into a small case + any extras into your 2x checked luggage allowance...........

Depends on your budget i guess.
Infinite eh?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:59 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by broonn
At first I thought you meant taking extra luggage onto the flight; until I starting thinking a little more laterally

http://www.excess-baggage.com

Thanks for the heads up.
I've just booked with these guys, 10 small boxes for CD/DVD/books/etc and it came to £430
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Infinite eh?
Sometimes i think my wife believes it to be the case
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Did you check the good old post? We used it, not from UK though, and I heard people did the same in UK, mentioning reasonable rates. On arrival we regretted that we didn't ship several boxes but just one, with books. Buying all those little household items adds and gets more expensive than shipping fee.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Brickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant future

I fly out on 1st November and got my quote from Air Canada Cargo as follows. All sizes in cm's and weight in kg's:

1x mountain bike in box 155 x 72 x 20 - 18kg
1x snowboard bag 174 x 42 20 - 15kg
1x package containing 2 pictures 155 x 58 x 10 - 10kg
4x boxes 47 x 42 x 48 - 23kg

Total UK price £ 244.15

There is also a handling and customs fee on the other side at $65 CAD

I take the stuff to the cargo shed on 30th Oct, it gets on the same flight as me on Sunday. I pick it up a couple of days later. It works for me as I am not moivng very much and because I dont want to wait up to 3 months for my stuff.

Hope this helps.