Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping a dog from UK to Calgary in Winter (plus dog friendly activities in Calgary)

Wikiposts

Shipping a dog from UK to Calgary in Winter (plus dog friendly activities in Calgary)

Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:57 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a dog from UK to Calgary in Winter (plus dog friendly activities in Calg

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
cheaper to ship your dog over or just buy when your there?
Is a dog disposable then? I didn't know
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a dog from UK to Calgary in Winter (plus dog friendly activities in Calg

been offered a cheap whippet from good family of breeders looking to move to alberta soon, just curious as to whether i should by now or wait till i get over there
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:53 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

been offered a cheap whippet from good family of breeders looking to move to alberta soon, just curious as to whether i should by now or wait till i get over there
Have you checked to see if Whippets are available in Alberta and checked to see the costs?

http://www.albertadogs.com/breeders.htm
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/f-whippet-C...eywordZwhippet
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?...tsearch=Search

Do you really want the hassle of a new puppy as soon as you embark on a new stage of your life in a foreign country?

My advice for what it is worth, if you haven't got a dog already, wait until you get here and (have experienced at least one winter) before you get one. Then you don't have to worry about pet friendly rental straight away.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for advice
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for advice
Not also that whippets, at least the one whippet we have, don't like to get wet. This, and their lack of body fat, makes them a challenging choice of dog for Canada.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not also that whippets, at least the one whippet we have, don't like to get wet. This, and their lack of body fat, makes them a challenging choice of dog for Canada.
My Chow hates to get his paws wet (will even lay out in the rain if it means his paws stay dry). He'll go out when it's -40 and snowing though. Alberta doesn't get much rain and for the cold days you can always stick a down filled doggy coats on the skinny dogs.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

andrewsco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingle
Hi - no advice re shipping as we bought our dog here!

We have a lab/springer spaniel and we take him to agility classes at SuperDog Spectrum. They run some pretty cool classes and also do some other unscheduled things that aren't on their website.

Another place that seems to get good review is Bow Dogs. Haven't been there but they do some fun stuff too - playtime sessions inside when it's very cold, etc.

No dog friendly pubs per se. There are places in various neighbourhoods that have restaurants/coffee shops that allow you to have dogs on the patio - key sign is the dog water bowl outside . There are several places along 17th Avenue (EG http://lachaumiere.ca/) and also in Kensington area (EG http://www.highergroundcafe.ca/) the two mentioned we have been to and they are very friendly.

Ranchman's on Macleod Trail are trying to get a licence to let dogs on their patio - see article and comments (!) in Calgary Sun

There are also some out of the way places where you can play with your dog (off leash) in the river down near Okotoks - very off the beaten track and great fun for a picnic on a summer's evening.

I think that you will find that as you go to more places with your dog you will find people of the same mind and they will give you ideas of other fun things to do.

Best of luck! J
Thanks for the suggestions! I think those are the sort of places I am thinking of - don't have to be a pub per se - just somewhere to get a drink with the dog.

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
Hi Andrewsco,

Do a quick search on google and there will be a few companies that come up that can also do the whole process for you.

http://www.animalairlines.co.uk/

http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/

There are places to take your dog out like dog parks in some communities. Its also a great way to pick up hot chicks exercising their dogs there..but er... your married so I guess that part does not matter.

This is a map of dog parks in Calgary..

http://petscalgary.com/off-leash-dog-parks-in-calgary/

A couple of years back I was driving home one night and it was -30c. Snow falling a little. As I drove up a hill down springbank I saw a old man walking his dog (im not making this up). The dog even had its own jacket and shoes! I love Canadians!

LMAO!!
Thanks for the map - very helpful. I did already search through Google and have found numerous companies but we were kind of hoping to do it ourself as he already has crate etc from previous travel - just an air ticket required probably.

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I can recommend Skymaster at Manchester Airport - they were great.

You can also haggle with them. Give them other quotes and they will beat them
Will take a look.

Originally Posted by rob28
We arrived in January and shipped our dog over at the same time.
Something to be aware of is the fact he/she will probably not be used to very cold temperatures and may struggle with cold paws.
Our dog did but as soon as we got her some boots she was happy to play in the snow for ages.
Basically, if your dog seems unhapy initially, it's not the end of the world and ther is a solution.
We will probably get him some boots thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by TheThornes
It was the month of November that we flew our dog over with us (London Heathrow to Calgary). We used Airpets and found them great; had no problems whatsoever. We flew Air Canada and the dog was on the same flight as us. There was a little bit of too'ing and fro'ing once we got to Calgary between Customs and Air Canada Cargo but nothing horrendous. Our dog was fine after her flight; just glad to see us. I can't really comment on the cost as our dog was smaller than a Retriever and it was over three years ago now.

One thing we did notice when we first arrived with our dog was that her skin, like ours, got dry. For the first couple of weeks she was continually scratching but then she kind of acclimatised and it didn't bother her any more.

I have three dogs and only one doesn't like going out in the cold; the other two have longer fur and are not really bothered by it. My dogs don't wear boots although my old one used to as she had fluffy feet and it stopped the snow clumping around her paws; she was more comfortable walking with them on.

We do do a lot of walking with our dogs. Calgary does have a lot of dog off-leash parks but we actually live just outside Calgary in Cochrane so tend to use the off-leash park here mostly which is a nice walk by the river; great for the dogs to cool off in the summer. I do miss the freedom to be able to walk my dogs off-leash almost anywhere like I did back in the UK but its a small price to pay for everything else we have here!!

All the best with your move!
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Have you checked to see if Whippets are available in Alberta and checked to see the costs?

http://www.albertadogs.com/breeders.htm
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/f-whippet-C...eywordZwhippet
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?...tsearch=Search

Do you really want the hassle of a new puppy as soon as you embark on a new stage of your life in a foreign country?

My advice for what it is worth, if you haven't got a dog already, wait until you get here and (have experienced at least one winter) before you get one. Then you don't have to worry about pet friendly rental straight away.

Have people generally found it difficult to get a pet friendly rental? I found in places like London you can usually just negotiate?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by andrewsco
Thanks for the suggestions! I think those are the sort of places I am thinking of - don't have to be a pub per se - just somewhere to get a drink with the dog.

Thanks for the map - very helpful. I did already search through Google and have found numerous companies but we were kind of hoping to do it ourself as he already has crate etc from previous travel - just an air ticket required probably.

Will take a look.

We will probably get him some boots thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for the info.

Have people generally found it difficult to get a pet friendly rental? I found in places like London you can usually just negotiate?
Do a search on previous threads, it's always coming up. If there is a influx of people (oil patch picking up) and fewer rentals, then the landlords get pickier. I don't know what the situation is in calgary, but a work colleague a couple of years ago struggled to find a condo that she could rent with her cat.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:34 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

I think its generally the same here. Your choice of properties will be more limited if you have pets but there's still plenty out there that will take pets or, like you say, you can sometimes negotiate for example offering a larger security deposit etc. We know quite a few people here that have pets and rent just fine.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

We came over to Calgary with our dog at the end of March. Came from Heathrow with Air Canada, very impressed with them. All we have had to do is buy the Skykennel and book his ticket (around £120). He was waiting on the other side and looked very happy, no problems at the immigration either. I think you will be better off bringing the dog over during the warmer months as there are restrictions during the winter (I dont think Air Canada transports pets in December due to the low temperatures), but you just need to check out the website.

The dog licence was $33 (our dog has been done though, you will pay more if yours hasnt been) and for some reason they gave us 6 months free

You will find the most landlords will except the dog, they are more funny about cats here (I guess its the carpets and wooden floors they are worried about).

Anyway good luck and let me know if you need anymore info
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
We came over to Calgary with our dog at the end of March. Came from Heathrow with Air Canada, very impressed with them. All we have had to do is buy the Skykennel and book his ticket (around £120). He was waiting on the other side and looked very happy, no problems at the immigration either. I think you will be better off bringing the dog over during the warmer months as there are restrictions during the winter (I dont think Air Canada transports pets in December due to the low temperatures), but you just need to check out the website.

The dog licence was $33 (our dog has been done though, you will pay more if yours hasnt been) and for some reason they gave us 6 months free

You will find the most landlords will except the dog, they are more funny about cats here (I guess its the carpets and wooden floors they are worried about).

Anyway good luck and let me know if you need anymore info
Thanks - great to hear that most landlords will accept pets. We'll definately look into when the best time to travel is. It seems that some have flown out though so I'll just see what they say.

Can't wait!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - great to hear that most landlords will accept pets. We'll definately look into when the best time to travel is. It seems that some have flown out though so I'll just see what they say.

Can't wait!
Where abouts in Calgary are you thinking about living?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
Where abouts in Calgary are you thinking about living?
From the posts on this forum SW or NW seem to be the nicest areas. I will be working in downtown so I'm tending to lean more towards SW. Not sure of the exact areas yet but certainly near a park!

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
I think its generally the same here. Your choice of properties will be more limited if you have pets but there's still plenty out there that will take pets or, like you say, you can sometimes negotiate for example offering a larger security deposit etc. We know quite a few people here that have pets and rent just fine.
FWIW a landlord cannot ask for a larger security deposit in Alberta. A month is the maximum.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:55 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
However in reality walking your dog during the winter is not pleasant for you or your dog.
Give over. There was only one day out of 3 years in Edmonton that I or my dog didnt want to be outside.... that day just happened to be when Edmonton was the coldest place on Earth, and was around -52 or something equally ridiculous. Walking outside in -20 or -30 is no problem at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.