British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Shipping company comparison - groupage to Vancouver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/shipping-company-comparison-groupage-vancouver-935734/)

eversmannx Nov 16th 2020 12:16 pm

Shipping company comparison - groupage to Vancouver

Hey guys.
I've had a few quotes - all done by Video these days, but the one i thought I want to pick was far off...
I've read through wiki and a bunch of other useful threads - I thought I wanna go with Crown for the shipping, and Letton Percival for the insurance just like it was suggested in this thread : https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...e-help-905559/

i like the idea of dealing with the same company in UK and Canada, and this was the big plus for Crown... but their initial quote was about 60% more than another on a 200+ cuft groupage! even if i get them to reduce... i dont think that difference is possible...

should i look at different companies considering my low load and groupage scenario.

Siouxie Nov 16th 2020 3:51 pm

Re: Shipping company comparison - groupage to Vancouver

Yes, look at different companies, that's a huge difference - but are you comparing like with like? :) Make sure who ever you get quotes from are giving you a door to door quote - get the quotes in writing, ask them to send you them by email. If you only have 200 cft could you use upackweship, perhaps? https://upakweship.uk.com/
Did you see this thread? https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...advice-882682/
When you have decided and start packing, don't forget your goods accompanying and goods to follow lists for customs. :)

eversmannx Nov 16th 2020 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12936372)
Yes, look at different companies, that's a huge difference - but are you comparing like with like? :) Make sure who ever you get quotes from are giving you a door to door quote - get the quotes in writing, ask them to send you them by email. If you only have 200 cft could you use upackweship, perhaps? https://upakweship.uk.com/
Did you see this thread? https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...advice-882682/
When you have decided and start packing, don't forget your goods accompanying and goods to follow lists for customs. :)

Yes, I read through that thread and a bunch of other useful ones before shortlisting the companies.
I think the cuft quoted from this company is way off (almost 100 cuft etc) compared to the others, which is really strange. That obviously explains the big price difference.
We do have a lot of glass and kitchen items, so decided not to pack ourselves.

Siouxie Nov 16th 2020 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by eversmannx (Post 12936405)
Yes, I read through that thread and a bunch of other useful ones before shortlisting the companies.
I think the cuft quoted from this company is way off (almost 100 cuft etc) compared to the others, which is really strange. That obviously explains the big price difference.
We do have a lot of glass and kitchen items, so decided not to pack ourselves.

I would only bring things that are irreplaceable / have sentimental value - most other things cost more to ship than they do to repurchase. Re 'Kitchen items' - have you checked compatability for use here if any are small appliances? https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compa...f_Goods-Canada
Crystal glassware, an antique serving bowl and lid and the one item of furniture I bought with me (an antique table) - were all wrapped/packed by shippers and were the only things that was smashed / damaged in my shipment, everything I wrapped and packed stayed pristine!

Do get all quotes in writing though - otherwise they can't be held accountable if the price suddenly shoots up "oh Eversmannx, sorry - you must have misheard me - I said xyz"
:)

eversmannx Nov 16th 2020 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12936440)
I would only bring things that are irreplaceable / have sentimental value - most other things cost more to ship than they do to repurchase. Re 'Kitchen items' - have you checked compatability for use here if any are small appliances? https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compa...f_Goods-Canada
Crystal glassware, an antique serving bowl and lid and the one item of furniture I bought with me (an antique table) - were all wrapped/packed by shippers and were the only things that was smashed / damaged in my shipment, everything I wrapped and packed stayed pristine!

Do get all quotes in writing though - otherwise they can't be held accountable if the price suddenly shoots up "oh Eversmannx, sorry - you must have misheard me - I said xyz"

oh dear! you do make a good case for self packing... our last move within the same city in UK, we self packed just because we thought we would do a better job than a stranger... it just was really difficult with a 2 year old. and I decided it's worth paying the extra to avoid the hassle... only if they don't break anything... duh!
items are mostly clothes we don't need urgently, glassware, other kitchen items that are not available in canada etc.
The short listed companies, all pretty much were clear with the inventory list and quotation... and assured door to door price, as well as they would only charge for what's shipped.

Siouxie Nov 16th 2020 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by eversmannx (Post 12936450)
oh dear! you do make a good case for self packing... our last move within the same city in UK, we self packed just because we thought we would do a better job than a stranger... it just was really difficult with a 2 year old. and I decided it's worth paying the extra to avoid the hassle... only if they don't break anything... duh!
items are mostly clothes we don't need urgently, glassware, other kitchen items that are not available in canada etc.
The short listed companies, all pretty much were clear with the inventory list and quotation... and assured door to door price, as well as they would only charge for what's shipped.

Your other option is air freight - if things aren't that heavy, it could work out to your advantage - cheaper insurance too! You pack your tea chests / crates and get them to the airport cargo department (take some of the clothes excess luggage, use some for padding out the breakables too), then go and get on your flight about 3 hours later. On arrival you go to the customs department, give them your goods accompanying list and get it stamped etc., then go to the cargo area and collect your goods - you usually have up to 3 days to do this part.

Double check that the kitchen items are compatible and will work in Canada, what is it that isn't available here and do you use it regularly enough to pay out money to bring it? When packing to move abroad it's all about weighing up the balance of need v want!

eversmannx Nov 16th 2020 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12936458)
Your other option is air freight - if things aren't that heavy, it could work out to your advantage - cheaper insurance too! You pack your tea chests / crates and get them to the airport cargo department (take some of the clothes excess luggage, use some for padding out the breakables too), then go and get on your flight about 3 hours later. On arrival you go to the customs department, give them your goods accompanying list and get it stamped etc., then go to the cargo area and collect your goods - you usually have up to 3 days to do this part.

Double check that the kitchen items are compatible and will work in Canada, what is it that isn't available here and do you use it regularly enough to pay out money to bring it? When packing to move abroad it's all about weighing up the balance of need v want!

Thanks for the advice. Our items are quite heavy, and not urgent - so figured shipping is the best option while taking all the necessary items with us with a couple of extra luggages. We also sold/gave away a bunch of kitchen items and electricals to avoid compatibality issues in Canada and gonna re-buy. That's how I brought it down to 150-200 cuft from a 4 bedroom house.

I guess the shipping companies i've shortlisted (after reading through BE) are all pretty decent and nothing to choose between them. am I putting too much value on having the same company on either side? the others all have established partners, so it's not so bad i guess.

Siouxie Nov 17th 2020 1:06 am

Originally Posted by eversmannx (Post 12936484)
Thanks for the advice. Our items are quite heavy, and not urgent - so figured shipping is the best option while taking all the necessary items with us with a couple of extra luggages. We also sold/gave away a bunch of kitchen items and electricals to avoid compatibality issues in Canada and gonna re-buy. That's how I brought it down to 150-200 cuft from a 4 bedroom house.

I guess the shipping companies i've shortlisted (after reading through BE) are all pretty decent and nothing to choose between them. am I putting too much value on having the same company on either side? the others all have established partners, so it's not so bad i guess.

Wow - you have done well to get it down to that from a 4 bed house! I would say the biggest thing is to ensure they are members of at least a couple of the various international movers associations. FIDI/FAIM, IAM, BAR, CAM etc., and then do your due diligence and check the Better Business Bureau and other reviews for each company before deciding.

Air freight can be cheaper than 'shipping' - perhaps worth getting a quote from air transat Cargo or similar :) Take into consideration also that shipping your goods in a shared container means you will wait until that container has a full load before they will tranport it to be put on a ship.. - plus the 'breaking down' on arrival into separate shipments. That can take a lot longer than you think.. depending on the time of year, so be prepared not to see you 'stuff' for several months. Extra baggage will cost anything from £50 a bag.. depending on the airline used. This moving lark isn't cheap :D

Good luck! :D

katehul Nov 17th 2020 2:28 pm

Hi what % was Letton Percival, I am in the middle of arranging shipping and have been quoted between 2.5-3% directly with the movers. thanks.

eversmannx Nov 17th 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by katehul (Post 12936715)
Hi what % was Letton Percival, I am in the middle of arranging shipping and have been quoted between 2.5-3% directly with the movers. thanks.

I am yet to get a quotation from them. Because I need to have a correct picture of the inventory before going to a 3rd party for insurance. but from all the threads i've been reading here, it seems about 3% with movers, and about half that if you go with 3rd party.

Fwilkin Nov 24th 2020 9:04 am

Sorry to jump on.
like you we have managed to reduce our 4 bed house down to a minimal and have decided to just take clothes and some of the children’s toys. I was thinking we would just pay extra for suitcases at the airport and then maybe box up and get shipped at a later date anything we couldn’t fit in.
would I need to have a list of everything we have in our suitcases plus then anything we may ship at a later date even if it could be 3 months down the line?
I was going to look into cargo but my only concern was with the potential of going in jan and the current quarantine how would we go about returning to the airport to collect our stuff with in the 3 days 🤔
tia

eversmannx Nov 24th 2020 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Fwilkin (Post 12939024)
Sorry to jump on.
like you we have managed to reduce our 4 bed house down to a minimal and have decided to just take clothes and some of the children’s toys. I was thinking we would just pay extra for suitcases at the airport and then maybe box up and get shipped at a later date anything we couldn’t fit in.
would I need to have a list of everything we have in our suitcases plus then anything we may ship at a later date even if it could be 3 months down the line?
I was going to look into cargo but my only concern was with the potential of going in jan and the current quarantine how would we go about returning to the airport to collect our stuff with in the 3 days 🤔
tia

I was told by shipping companies, you only need to make a rough list i.e. clothes worth of 500, toys worth 200 etc. if you can do a bit of plan-ahead, it maybe cheaper to ship the rest of the items just before you fly rather than paying for storage here.

Fwilkin Nov 24th 2020 9:24 am

Thanks
I’d planned just to store them at my parents as there won’t be loads of boxes.

Siouxie Nov 24th 2020 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fwilkin (Post 12939024)
Sorry to jump on.
tia

You need to make 2 lists - one of the goods that are accompanying you - such as
3 x suitcases containing used clothes = value $349,
1 x suitcase containing childrens toys = value $153,
1 laptop bag containing Asus X509 serial number xyz9990448d0884 and wireless mouse = value $1075,
1 Apple Iphone serial number 399g0g77gh = value $354,
1 Samsung Galaxy S10 serial number 9466g0p3nb = value $245,
1 Ipad mini seriial number a\'a39 \prhr = value $127,
3 chargers = value $33,
2 gold rings = value $446
1 golden labrador dog = value $388

:) Values for accompanying goods should be 2nd hand worth. You need to list the serial numbers of anything electronic and I would suggest you also take photos of any jewellery - all jewellery must be listed. If you decide to use Air Cargo you will put that on a separate list..

For your goods to follow list - you must list everything you might possibly bring or ship over at any date in the future - 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years... again, everything needs to be listed. For this - you could say 2 boxes of assorted kitchen equipment (but if it's small appliances you would need to list them separately with the serial numbers and 2nd hand value), 3 boxes of assorted hard back books - value $50, 2 boxes of xyz ... etc., Anything you bring in that isn't on the list you will pay duty on, so it's worth including absolutely anything you think you might send over. :)

We have a great wiki section on the move over - including the goods to follow list etc., strongly suggest you make a cuppa and read through :)
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada
Go to the 'procedure' part - :) https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

Fwilkin Nov 24th 2020 4:49 pm

That’s great thank you I will have a good read through x