Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies

Shipping Companies

Old May 21st 2009, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Companies

Hi there,

I think it is important to take into consideration other peoples experiences with shipping companies before booking yours, but I also feel that almost all the companies out there have people who have had good and bad experiences.

We got one company out to estimate the square footage, contacted others to see what they would charge, then got the agents to come out to 'confirm amounts' just so we could get a feel for the company.

We ended up going with PSS whom, so far, I would highly recommend. The two men that came to pack our goods were fantastic. They were polite, efficient and asked me to quickly go through our goods which we had piled into boxes so that they could determine where all the fragile/valuable items where to ensure that they were packed separately from the heavy goods.

Throughout the process they company have kept us informed of everything by e-mail and phone and within 2 days of us arriving in Canada the shipping company and the shipping agents made contact to let us know how things were progressing and to give us our ETA.

Our belongings were packed up on the 30th April and are due to arrive at our house 2nd/3rd week in June so I'll let you know how things go. However, after hours and hours of reading shipping posts on BE I can honestly say that no matter what company you use, there will always be someone who was not happy with the service they received.

Hope this helps.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Lorelai will become famous soon enoughLorelai will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping Companies

Hi
There is a company in Leeds called Atlantis that were recommended to me by a friend of a friend. Turns out they were the cheapest quote I had. Everything has been great with them...boxes arrive tomorrow so fingers crossed that everything is safe!! I packed myself so cant comment on that but everything was quick and easy - delivering boxes etc and returning phone calls.

PM me if you want the details of Atlantis and I will dig out the contract/quote!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping Companies

So much seems to be down to the individuals who come to do the packing - about 10 years ago we were packed by people contracted to the shippers, and the packing was appalling. Particularly interesting was OH's hiking boots wrapped in my yellow jumper compared to the tins of custard that were individually wrapped in 3 sheets of paper
This time we'll be watching their every move!!