Shipping to Canada -GB Liners Container with Letton Percival Insurance

Wikiposts

Shipping to Canada -GB Liners Container with Letton Percival Insurance

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Going Coastal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping to Canada -GB Liners Container with Letton Percival Insurance

Hello All,

With 10 days to go now until our stuff's loaded into a container and sent on its way, I've just received an email (yes, on a Sunday) from GB Liners asking for our insurance provider to waive their right to subrogation.

Through this forum I've found the combo of GB Liners/Letton Percival to be the best deal but can't now find anything about whether anyone else had encountered this issue.

I've forwarded the email on to LP but cannot imagine why they would accept such a waiver. If an issue arises that would be the fault of GBL, of course LP would go after them!

If anyone who has used this combination themselves can explain how it worked out, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Last edited by Going Coastal; Aug 3rd 2014 at 3:37 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Shipping to Canada -GB Liners Container with Letton Percival Insurance

A bit of extra info for our specific situation:

We're packing our own boxes and only having GBL's guys wrap the furniture and load the container (20' sole use). In Vancouver we'll then rent a UHaul and have our stuff loaded into it to take to our storage unit. GBL quoted £800 more to take the container beyond Vancouver and it'll only be $400 to hire the UHaul, fill it with fuel and bring it across the ferry!

GBL wanted 3% for insurance, which would end when it's loaded into the UHaul.
LP is insuring all the way (1.4%) through 6 months of storage (at 1%).

If anyone knows how to correct the typo in my thread title that's be helpful too.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping to Canada -GB Liners Container with Letton Percival Insurance

I would expect GB Liners to insist on the waiver, otherwise from their point of view, the insurance does not offer them any protection, only you.

You may have to pay an increased premium.

I would expect the waiver to be mutual - i.e. you would not be pursued for damages caused to GB Liners transport (or the ship!) if your possessions caused damage to either.

Last edited by withabix; Aug 3rd 2014 at 6:50 am.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, Withabix,

This is the response I got from LP after forwarding them the email from GBL:

"G B Liners do not take any of the risk, therefore what they are asking for will not be agreed by your Insurers.

G B liners are not providing you with any liability cover. They do however, have a liability under their standard trading conditions, which is very restricted in both being able to prove a claim against them, and then in its monetary limitation.

They presumably trade under BAR conditions, as most of the international removal companies that we come across do.

As we insure many thousands of shipments under our Scheme, every year, we are not asked by any other company to provide such a waiver.

You are arranging your own insurance, and accepting their trading conditions. That is accepted practice within the international removals market.

Kind regards
"

I'm still very confused!
Why, if GBL were going to ask for a waiver, did they not do so a month ago when I booked and paid with them?! Why send me an email on a Sunday afternoon with less than two weeks to go to shipping?

I really want to hear from others who've used this shipping/insurance combination.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

jaipea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite simply, companies such as GB Liners and the other removers make huge margins out of the insurance hence they do not want you to buy insurance elsewhere and, in particular, from the two main independent firms being Letton Percival and Insure-Your-Move.com
Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add to your post that I used GB liners and had to make a claim. The claim took forever and was only a fraction of what I should have been paid. It wasn't anything major that was damaged - a few small items but they only paid out about a sixth of what it was insured for.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Do not provide any such waiver. They know that LP's pockets are deeper than yours.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.
We've sorted out that GB will accept us using LP's insurance. As was agreed a month ago.
Hopefully all will go well now but I'll update from the other side.