Shipping

Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough
Default Shipping

Hi All,

Just been quoted by Excess Baggage:

Door to door sea service for 700kg £718.00 plus 5% insurance (a bit steep at 5%) 8-12 weeks

All packaging provided by them

Have been told I would be responsible for paying any charges across the other side. Can anyone please give me a rough guidance what type of cost am I looking at?

Is there any other way of getting our own insurance at a lower %.

thanks
Mhut
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

capillano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping

Originally Posted by Mhut
Hi All,

Door to door sea service for 700kg £718.00 plus 5% insurance (a bit steep at 5%) 8-12 weeks

Have been told I would be responsible for paying any charges across the other side. Can anyone please give me a rough guidance what type of cost am I looking at?

thanks
Mhut
Yes that is about right!. If you are emigrating to Canada as a PR make sure you with you a Good to follow list which includes the contents of the items you will be shipping by sea/air. When you land make sure you get this form stamped by the Customs officer. Once you have this stamp you will have to take it to the Canadian Customs office who will be sent the customs clearance form by the Excess Baggage agent in Canada. You will present the stamped Goods To Follow list paper work to the officer and they may ask you a few questions like whether you have any more goods arriving besides the shipment you are getting cleared and accordingly they will clear the items without charging you any duty.

So the short answer is if you have opted for the Door To Door service you should not have to pay anything additional.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Hi All,

thanks
Mhut
My shipper forwarded a box for me that got left behind (sort of ) 33kg cost me £80.00 door to door
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

If it's door to door there shouldn't be any charges. The only charges you would be liable for are customs expenses should they wish to inspect the consignment. As I understand from reading threads on here, these charges can be quite hefty.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Thanks guys
Of course there are charges no one ships your stuff for free. It got left behind because my daughter over packed her two cases by 33kg and when we got to the airport we were way over weight so my friend took a case home with her boxed it up and my shipper Paul had it collected and sent via air DHL. We didn't have to pay customs/taxes as we declared what was in there it was all used items of clothing. You only pay taxes on new items.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Of course there are charges no one ships your stuff for free. It got left behind because my daughter over packed her two cases by 33kg and when we got to the airport we were way over weight so my friend took a case home with her boxed it up and my shipper Paul had it collected and sent via air DHL. We didn't have to pay customs/taxes as we declared what was in there it was all used items of clothing. You only pay taxes on new items.
You don't pay taxes on new items that's right, but if customs want to inspect your consignment for whatever reason, you have to pay for the privilige.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolstie
You don't pay taxes on new items that's right, but if customs want to inspect your consignment for whatever reason, you have to pay for the privilige.
They didn't inspect my box so may be I was lucky.

Not sure if anyone knows but airtransat have a web site called kilo-flex and you can pre buy excess baggage at a reduced rate. You have to purchase 10 days in advance.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
They didn't inspect my box so may be I was lucky.
Didn't inspect mine either, don't think it happens often. I think the charges mainly relate to storing it whilst they are inspecting it, or waiting for you to get your paperwork in order.