Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:10 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 50
dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Hello all,

I have 3 suitcases with clothing and shoes to ship to Canada from the UK, all used. What is the best way to ship these? I have come across My Luggage and Send a Bag but wondering if there might be a more cost effective way such as putting all this stuff in boxes and then sending it. I read on Parcel Monkey that they do not recommend suitcases as the handles and wheels can cause issues and the shipping documentation doesn't stick on the suitcase either, meaning the bag could be lost.

Just to add, this is all of my wife's stuff as we are moving back to BC and she has already gone ahead. I'm also wondering if there will be any problems her collecting the items if they get stuck at customs. I read there is a $16 charge for the clearing process.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I couldn't find one that matched, so apologies in advance.

Last edited by dj322; Oct 8th 2020 at 8:20 am.
dj322 is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2020, 4:29 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,041
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by dj322 View Post
Hello all,

I have 3 suitcases with clothing and shoes to ship to Canada from the UK, all used. What is the best way to ship these? I have come across My Luggage and Send a Bag but wondering if there might be a more cost effective way such as putting all this stuff in boxes and then sending it. I read on Parcel Monkey that they do not recommend suitcases as the handles and wheels can cause issues and the shipping documentation doesn't stick on the suitcase either, meaning the bag could be lost.

Just to add, this is all of my wife's stuff as we are moving back to BC and she has already gone ahead. I'm also wondering if there will be any problems her collecting the items if they get stuck at customs. I read there is a $16 charge for the clearing process.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I couldn't find one that matched, so apologies in advance.
Has she included those items in her 'Goods to Follow' list? If not then she may have to pay duty and taxes on the contents.
Easiest way would be air freight (cargo); you pack everything into a couple of large boxes, list everything that is packed, take it to the airport cargo on the day of the flight, she collects it at the other end. Or you take it as excess luggage / cargo when you move over yourself.
Where in Canada is she living?
Siouxie is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2020, 10:25 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 50
dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Has she included those items in her 'Goods to Follow' list? If not then she may have to pay duty and taxes on the contents.
Easiest way would be air freight (cargo); you pack everything into a couple of large boxes, list everything that is packed, take it to the airport cargo on the day of the flight, she collects it at the other end. Or you take it as excess luggage / cargo when you move over yourself.
Where in Canada is she living?
BC. She did not include the items in the Goods to follow list, but they are all old clothes, will they still charge tax/duty? I was thinking of taking it as excess luggage but it seems like a lot to take for 1 person.
dj322 is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2020, 11:48 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 96
Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Yeah excess luggage might be better if you're travelling anyway? If you book it in advance with the airline. You can hire a porter in Heathrow with the bigger trolley to push it all for you It's £30 or something. Don't know what they have in BC.
Will_PA is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2020, 11:54 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 18,062
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by dj322 View Post
BC. She did not include the items in the Goods to follow list, but they are all old clothes, will they still charge tax/duty? I was thinking of taking it as excess luggage but it seems like a lot to take for 1 person.
If they are used clothes and don't have Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Hermes and Prada labels then I don't think CBSA will be all that bothered. I guess if you wanted to piss her off phone her up and say these are your clothes you figure a way of getting them to BC.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2020, 3:26 pm
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,041
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by dj322 View Post
BC. She did not include the items in the Goods to follow list, but they are all old clothes, will they still charge tax/duty? I was thinking of taking it as excess luggage but it seems like a lot to take for 1 person.
Having seen what Air Canada are charging for baggage, and BA for excess baggage, it might be cheaper to fly with Air Transat and send it air freight/cargo on the same flight you are on
https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/fli...OW&pax=1-0-0-0
Siouxie is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2020, 7:10 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 245
PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Or you could donate many of the clothes to charity and buy your wife a new wardrobe and be in her good books for years LOL
PB65 is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:49 am
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 11
Small Totem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

I shipped when i came to the uk but looking back it probably is more cost effective (and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY less hassle) to check as extra baggage when you fly. If it was me i would be asking her if it was all 100% necessary to bring back. Try and get it down to 2 suitcases and pay as excess on airline
Small Totem is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.