British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/shipping-3-suitcases-uk-canada-935192/)

dj322 Oct 8th 2020 8:10 am

Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Hello all,

I have 3 suitcases with clothing and shoes to ship to Canada from the UK, all used. What is the best way to ship these? I have come across My Luggage and Send a Bag but wondering if there might be a more cost effective way such as putting all this stuff in boxes and then sending it. I read on Parcel Monkey that they do not recommend suitcases as the handles and wheels can cause issues and the shipping documentation doesn't stick on the suitcase either, meaning the bag could be lost.

Just to add, this is all of my wife's stuff as we are moving back to BC and she has already gone ahead. I'm also wondering if there will be any problems her collecting the items if they get stuck at customs. I read there is a $16 charge for the clearing process.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I couldn't find one that matched, so apologies in advance.

Siouxie Oct 8th 2020 4:29 pm

Re: Shipping 3 suitcases from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by dj322 (Post 12919911)
Hello all,

I have 3 suitcases with clothing and shoes to ship to Canada from the UK, all used. What is the best way to ship these? I have come across My Luggage and Send a Bag but wondering if there might be a more cost effective way such as putting all this stuff in boxes and then sending it. I read on Parcel Monkey that they do not recommend suitcases as the handles and wheels can cause issues and the shipping documentation doesn't stick on the suitcase either, meaning the bag could be lost.

Just to add, this is all of my wife's stuff as we are moving back to BC and she has already gone ahead. I'm also wondering if there will be any problems her collecting the items if they get stuck at customs. I read there is a $16 charge for the clearing process.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I couldn't find one that matched, so apologies in advance.

Has she included those items in her 'Goods to Follow' list? If not then she may have to pay duty and taxes on the contents.
Easiest way would be air freight (cargo); you pack everything into a couple of large boxes, list everything that is packed, take it to the airport cargo on the day of the flight, she collects it at the other end. Or you take it as excess luggage / cargo when you move over yourself.
Where in Canada is she living?

dj322 Oct 9th 2020 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12920042)
Has she included those items in her 'Goods to Follow' list? If not then she may have to pay duty and taxes on the contents.
Easiest way would be air freight (cargo); you pack everything into a couple of large boxes, list everything that is packed, take it to the airport cargo on the day of the flight, she collects it at the other end. Or you take it as excess luggage / cargo when you move over yourself.
Where in Canada is she living?

BC. She did not include the items in the Goods to follow list, but they are all old clothes, will they still charge tax/duty? I was thinking of taking it as excess luggage but it seems like a lot to take for 1 person.

Will_PA Oct 9th 2020 11:48 am

Yeah excess luggage might be better if you're travelling anyway? If you book it in advance with the airline. You can hire a porter in Heathrow with the bigger trolley to push it all for you :) It's £30 or something. Don't know what they have in BC.

Former Lancastrian Oct 9th 2020 11:54 am

Originally Posted by dj322 (Post 12920306)
BC. She did not include the items in the Goods to follow list, but they are all old clothes, will they still charge tax/duty? I was thinking of taking it as excess luggage but it seems like a lot to take for 1 person.

If they are used clothes and don't have Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Hermes and Prada labels then I don't think CBSA will be all that bothered. I guess if you wanted to piss her off phone her up and say these are your clothes you figure a way of getting them to BC.

Siouxie Oct 9th 2020 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by dj322 (Post 12920306)

Having seen what Air Canada are charging for baggage, and BA for excess baggage, it might be cheaper to fly with Air Transat and send it air freight/cargo on the same flight you are on :)
https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/fli...OW&pax=1-0-0-0

PB65 Oct 13th 2020 7:10 am

Or you could donate many of the clothes to charity and buy your wife a new wardrobe and be in her good books for years LOL

Small Totem Oct 14th 2020 10:49 am

I shipped when i came to the uk but looking back it probably is more cost effective (and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY less hassle) to check as extra baggage when you fly. If it was me i would be asking her if it was all 100% necessary to bring back. Try and get it down to 2 suitcases and pay as excess on airline