Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shippers coming 2moro...help I'm confused!

Shippers coming 2moro...help I'm confused!

Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default Shippers coming 2moro...help I'm confused!

Well, I finally got my boxes packed tonight-all 15 of them. In the end I had more space than I had originally thought so I was able to pack kitchen stuff as well.

Anyways, the shippers (local Brittania dealer) are coming tomorrow and I am a bit confused about this list I need to give them and the insurance aspect.

This is my list (for shippers and for customs):

Boxes 1-15

Assortment of:

CD's (640)
DVD's (50)
Books(50)
Family Photo albums (30)
Children's toys/arts and crafts/games/mementos
Clothes/Belts/bags/accesorries
Sentimental mementos
Sentimental paperwork
Photos
Household nic nacs and decorations
Xmas decorations (Box 7 only)
Kitchen utensils/pots/pans etc (Boxes 8 &15 only)

I rang the customs people in Canada and they said listing the items this way was fine because I explained that I was mixing everything up in each box to distribute the weight around.

Now this is where I get a bit confused (bare with me...I'm knackered!)...

Ok, so for customs, I need to put the values of the items, in Canadian dollars, as if I was going to sell them in a garage sale-is that correct???

Now, for insurance purposes....

I have packed myself, so am I right in thinking this insurance only covers if this stuff literally falls overboard?

The woman told me to put the price that it would cost to replace these items in Canada, but then put this amount in pounds. Does this sound right?

If it is right, then what do I do if I don't want to insure it for the full value because I simply cannot afford to? For example, 640 CD's might be like £6400 to replace, which would mean a premium of like £192 just for the CD's. If I start adding it all up, it is going to be WAY too expensive for me. I have worked out that the most insurance that I could afford is to claim a value of a total of £3000 (ie £90 premium). Can I do this, even if the 'true' replacement value of my whole load is more??

Please please please advise me, as I am soooo tired and need to do this list and get to my bed!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kellie
Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:19 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shippers coming 2moro...help I'm confused!

Originally Posted by cancov

The woman told me to put the price that it would cost to replace these items in Canada, but then put this amount in pounds. Does this sound right?

It is right ..... but I would only bother with putting value on things you'd REALLY want to insure (for the insurers). Forget the replacement value of books and DVD's etc, as all the little things can add up tremendously. Put them down as value 0 pounds if you don't want to insure them, and save a packet on the premium!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 6:18 am
Just Joined

4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future

Hi

Just being nosey as we're about to get a couple of firms round to quote on our shipping........how much does 15 boxes cost with that company.....and how large are the boxes?

We are still pondering the dilema of bringing stuff over or replacing in Canada......edging towards replacing when we get out there.

When do you pack up and ship out yourself?
Old Jul 17th 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Mystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really nice

Morning all

So what do most people put down as the value of ,say ,photographs or sentimental items that to you may be worthless but to me irreplaceable ?

Phil
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 4breezers
Hi

Just being nosey as we're about to get a couple of firms round to quote on our shipping........how much does 15 boxes cost with that company.....and how large are the boxes?

We are still pondering the dilema of bringing stuff over or replacing in Canada......edging towards replacing when we get out there.

When do you pack up and ship out yourself?

Hi,

You can find a whole bunch of info about this on a previous thread

here.

I'm leaving on July 28th...I'm a returning Canadian-been in England for 12 years.

For the 15 boxes it is £532 for door to door service, but I packed myself. Now I am just trying to figure out about this insurance stuff, cuz I really don't wanna pay much more!

Does anyone know a) do shipments fall over board regularly? Has it ever happened to anyone on here?

b) Do we have to have marine insurance or can we risk it without it?

PS Thanks Morwenna for the advice-it was the answer I was hoping for.

Kellie

Last edited by cancov; Jul 17th 2006 at 9:28 am.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 1:41 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mystic Kazza
Morning all

So what do most people put down as the value of ,say ,photographs or sentimental items that to you may be worthless but to me irreplaceable ?

Phil
Well what price would YOU put on them? Intrinsically they are probably valueless, except to you of course, but if you feel that there is a sum that would compensate you for their loss or damage, then that's what you can insure them for, I suppose.

It all adds to the premium you pay of course, and there's only a small chance anything bad will happen to them anyway.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cancov,

We had our belongings shipped with Britannia, but they came to pack as we had left everything to the last minute.

Their list wasn't very specific and our boxes were mixed like yours. We had no problems with customs - we suspect that not a single box was opened. We shared a container with perhaps 11 other individuals, so make sure your boxes are quite brightly marked. (Maybe Brittani put their tape round them?).

We collected our belongings from the shipping agent in Vancouver. We did this as it was a hell of a lot cheaper than paying from transport to Powell River. It's only 90 miles from Vancouver but has 2 ferries to negotiate.

Here are the things we wish we had put in our shipment:

Bedlinen (Especially duvet covers. The ones available in Tesco for 10 pounds are a lot nicer than most of the ones here).
Instant gravy. (Can't buy it here, really missing that now!).

So there's not a lot we wish we had brought

Keep one box open to the last minute to drop those important forgotten things into!

Best of luck,

Sarah
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Well, the shippers came yesterday for my 15 boxes. I've done the paperwork and sorted the insurance. In the end the premium was cheaper than first thought because I only had to pay 1.65% of the total amount to be claimed, because I packed it myself and its only covered for total loss. I thought that was quite good.

So the grand total, including insurance, was: £621. The customer service that I have received so far has been excellent.

I've just had a girl round who wants to buy our settees, dvd player,video, and washing machine.

It is all becoming real now!!

I've got my phone interview on Monday and two more face to face interviews for 'proper' advertised jobs that I applied for on the Monday after I get there. I've also got about 5 places who want to meet with me about doing relief work. So the jobsearch front is looking up! I've also got a week of work lined up during the Canadian Women's Open, which is being held in London. Its only temporary, but I figured it would help by giving me a Canadian work reference if I was still job hunting at that time. Hopefully though, I will get a job out of these three interviews.

I can't wait to see my friends, and most importantly I can't wait to see my Mum. I can't believe that after twelve years back in England I am now going back to Canada!

Kellie