Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shippers that claim they cannot insure if you pack

Shippers that claim they cannot insure if you pack

Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shippers that claim they cannot insure if you pack

Originally Posted by dibden
Withabix: was that just what Canada Border Services Agency charged you? Or is that your total shipping cost?
I suspect that's what the shipping company/warehousing facilities charged for the inconvenience/extra costs, on top of shipping costs, not CBSA.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
CBSA can inspect any shipment regardless of if you packed it yourself or had a removal company do it. Insurance has nothing to do with CBSA if they decide to examine or not.

This is correct and as far as I'm aware is the same for every country in the world.

I know of a UK Removals firm who had to offload every item of a 36 tonne truck at the France-Spain border.

The Spanish customs looked through the stuff for about 20 minutes then left, leaving the three crew to re-load everything....set them back about five hours..
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dibden
Withabix: was that just what Canada Border Services Agency charged you? Or is that your total shipping cost?
I wish!

40 foot sea can was approximately 6500 quid if I remember correctly. Including packing at the UK end and unloading into a storage unit at this end. That was Carlisle to Kelowna via Vancouver (Liverpool to Montreal sea crossing and rail to Vancouver, then shipped to Kelowna on a semi).

It did have a Landrover 110 in it as well as our belongings, hence the 40 foot...

Cost also included transferring Landrover on to a flat deck and delivering to our house so that I could then get it on a temporary plate and take it for inspection.

Last edited by withabix; Mar 15th 2016 at 10:43 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Try letton Percival.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Don't use your moving company's insurance. They will charge you double the going rate because 50% of it will be their cut...

As for Canadian Customs inspecting your goods - yes, we had ours inspected and you have to pay for handling - it cost us nearly $1300, $1070 of which was for a 3rd party company to move our sea can to a bonded warehouse, unload it for Customs inspection, reload it and return it to the shipping company for onward elivery to us.
I have read some rubbish on these boards but this beats it all. More like 1.5 -2% of amount insured.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I suspect that's what the shipping company/warehousing facilities charged for the inconvenience/extra costs, on top of shipping costs, not CBSA.
If a shipment is inspected the amount charged goes directly to customs not the shipping company. Some shipping companys will pay CBSA on your behalf just to get the shipment moving again as CBSA will not release it without payment. Your shipping company will quiet rightly expect you to pay them. I should add that it is the receiving agent who pays this, not the origin shipping company.