Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sheffield Vs Vancouver

Sheffield Vs Vancouver

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

UKorBust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sheffield Vs Vancouver

Can somebody please tell me the Social/Cultural/Economical differences Between Sheffield and Vancouver?

If you have lived/Visited for a long period of time, both these places. I would Greatly appreciate some information! Thank-you in advance X

Last edited by UKorBust; Feb 22nd 2013 at 7:07 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sheffield Vs Vancouver

I remember your previous thread when you asking about places to live in the UK. I'm intrigued to know how on earth you ended up with Sheffield as a possibility?! There are many lovely cities/towns in the north of England, but I wouldn't count Sheffield among them personally.

No offence to anybody from Sheffield, JMO!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I remember your previous thread when you asking about places to live in the UK. I'm intrigued to know how on earth you ended up with Sheffield as a possibility?! There are many lovely cities/towns in the north of England, but I wouldn't count Sheffield among them personally.

No offence to anybody from Sheffield, JMO!
awww, Makes me feel special that you remember me :') haha

and There's a lot of things actually, but it just felt right. I did quite a bit of research on it, and it just felt like.. home, to me.

When I first decided that I was finally going to live abroad in the UK for a few years, there were a few things nagging at the back of my mind that I knew I was going to miss, and Sheffield has a LOT of them. (Parks, Coffee Shops, Music, etc..) but still stays on budget (Unlike London) I went on a few sites telling me about Flats for rent, and I could be able to afford it. Not to mention the fact that it has a larger market for Retail jobs (Perfect!)

Also.. It just made me a little happier when I found out there was an Ice Hockey team .

There was an added Bonus that I could get to almost anywhere if I hopped onto Transit for an hour or 2.

Nothing is finalized yet of course, but I think its worth learning more about Sheffield In particular, as it's really stood out to me from other British (cities? Towns?)

Last edited by UKorBust; Feb 22nd 2013 at 7:07 am. Reason: typo
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:15 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Have you watched The Full Monty? That's set in Sheffield I think.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Have you watched The Full Monty? That's set in Sheffield I think.
No I haven't, the only British films I've seen is when my best friend convinced me to watch "Angus Thongs and Snogging" and "Love Actually" x)

Is it any good?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

What about Manchester?

Much nicer place than Sheffield imo and we also have a Ice Hockey team

Plus it's about as rainy as Vancouver to :P

Last edited by cptkid89; Feb 22nd 2013 at 7:30 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cptkid89
What about Manchester?

Much nicer place than Sheffield imo and we also have a Ice Hockey team

Plus it's about as rainy as Vancouver to :P
*sigh* at this rate I'm never going to make a decision... I love too many places, I just checked out Manchester and I have to admit, I am impressed by the concert arena ( Greater then the 02 and MSG! Thats insane!! ) and the Larger Retail industry there (would be easier to find work. ) But although it looks Massive and has some similaries physically to vancouver (Except it has a LOT more gorgeous Historical Buildings. It IS England afterall) it has such a Small population o.O Only 502,000?? Is it smaller then it appears?or does it just have a less squished population??
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

...Seriously?? - Sheffield or Vancouver?! I am in Sheffield - was born here and whilst it is nice in its old-fashioned pit-village, chip shops, snooker, country walks, big-hilly ways... I would say hands down Vancouver!

Vancouver is more expensive (though lately, the cost of a panini in our local coffee shop has me wondering if the gap isn't closing!).

Such a strange comparison... (and Manchester is in NO WAY better - bigger, maybe...! )

But honestly, if Sheffield floats your boat (and the hockey team ARE good), you like hills, small terraced houses, nice country field type walks, lots of bars/pubs in town, then save yourself thousands and move there, rather than over to Canada.

It is very easy to live close to town and close to the country here (I am a 20 min busride either way).

We are wanting to move to Vancouver Island... Been wanting for approx. 5 years now (though Vancouver initially was our intended destination, but we couldn't afford the size of house/area there, so Victoria came into our radar, and we found we liked the thought of living there).

I used to live in the States for 8 years, so maybe I am secretly chickening out by moving to Vanc. Island - as it is closer (I think) to Seattle than The mainland Vanc.

Good luck in whatever you choose, anyway!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by witchileiz
...Seriously?? - Sheffield or Vancouver?! I am in Sheffield - was born here and whilst it is nice in its old-fashioned pit-village, chip shops, snooker, country walks, big-hilly ways... I would say hands down Vancouver!

Vancouver is more expensive (though lately, the cost of a panini in our local coffee shop has me wondering if the gap isn't closing!).

Such a strange comparison... (and Manchester is in NO WAY better - bigger, maybe...! )

But honestly, if Sheffield floats your boat (and the hockey team ARE good), you like hills, small terraced houses, nice country field type walks, lots of bars/pubs in town, then save yourself thousands and move there, rather than over to Canada.

It is very easy to live close to town and close to the country here (I am a 20 min busride either way).

We are wanting to move to Vancouver Island... Been wanting for approx. 5 years now (though Vancouver initially was our intended destination, but we couldn't afford the size of house/area there, so Victoria came into our radar, and we found we liked the thought of living there).

I used to live in the States for 8 years, so maybe I am secretly chickening out by moving to Vanc. Island - as it is closer (I think) to Seattle than The mainland Vanc.

Good luck in whatever you choose, anyway!
I've never actually heard Sheffield described like that.. People always tell me its bustling, and it as a nice city feel (as opposed to "Old-fashioned, Country walks) but If you LIVE there, then I'm going to trust that opinion..
It's hard for me to actually know what a place is like when I haven't actually SEEN it in person :/.. Soo, I never realised that Vancouver and Sheffield would qualify as a 'strange' comparison haha

I NEED to see them play! I'll check online or something, I'm not a SUPER Hockey fan, but Hockey =Home to me <3

It'd be easier for me to move to Canada considering I DO live in Canada, Vancouver to be precise haha and I LOVE it here, I don't plan on Ever leaving it permanently. It's my City.. <3
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

There are very many lovely cities in the Uk but as in most towns and cities in the world there are areas within those cities that are good places to live and then there will be the not so good areas to live. So when you finally decide on somewhere make sure you do a lot more research before you decide on the area to rent. With regards to jobs within retail the UK is currently experiencing some very difficult times and there are retail chains closing almost on a weekly basis so again I would advice you to research jobs very carefully! if you really want to come to the UK I would suggest taking a look at the county of Kent, it is close to London and easy to get to for day trips, it is also easy to get to Europe for short breaks.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

I just checked it out, and Kent doesn't seem like my type of place... The location is great, but it's all country ...
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by UKorBust
I've never actually heard Sheffield described like that.. People always tell me its bustling, and it as a nice city feel (as opposed to "Old-fashioned, Country walks) but If you LIVE there, then I'm going to trust that opinion..
It's hard for me to actually know what a place is like when I haven't actually SEEN it in person :/.. Soo, I never realised that Vancouver and Sheffield would qualify as a 'strange' comparison haha

I NEED to see them play! I'll check online or something, I'm not a SUPER Hockey fan, but Hockey =Home to me <3

It'd be easier for me to move to Canada considering I DO live in Canada, Vancouver to be precise haha and I LOVE it here, I don't plan on Ever leaving it permanently. It's my City.. <3
Ahh - sorry - I should have paid more attention to your first post, I guess! My OH wants me to tell you we will swap places with you! So.... strange how I now want to describe things slightly differently, with the knowledge that you are in Canada!

Sheffield is cold, though not as rainy as Manchester, nor a snowy as Scottish areas, but not a huge city. It was an industrial town, built on coal mining and steel (famous for steel, actually). If you like climbing hills - this is supposed to be a great location, as easy access to Derbyshire, Peak District (beautiful walks!) - see - I'm now trying to sell it to you!

Yorkshire itself has many 'quaint' old-fashioned style villages, but the city centre is larger, and contains 2 x Universities. People generally friendly. Lots of restaurants, some nice areas, some awful (same as anywhere).

People who move to and love Sheffield usually enjoy hiking/walking/climbing. It is very hilly, so not easy bike-riding (I try every year to ride to work, but the trek home up 3 steep hills still gets me, and I usually give in by Autumn!)

House prices a lot cheaper than 'Down South', etc.

What made you look at Sheffield? Was it recommended by someone? What are you looking for? Scenery / quaint old fashioned villages - or am I type-casting? You can live in a lovely Yorkshire Village just outside Sheffield, and still commute into the City very easily via train/bus etc.

Why don't you come visit? I would be happy to show you around, if I'm still here (though hoping we will have moved before Summer, but unlikely now as Immigration process crawling along for almost 3 yrs now!)

Good luck and feel free to IM me if you have any specific questions!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Ahahaha, I should have kept it a SECRET! That was the first time someone had given me their actual first-thought opinion of their city! Did you know I knew about the weather? As well as it being known for Steel( I studied the Wikipedia page ) ech... I hate hills... But I live on the bottom of one so.. I'm used to it.. x) Oh how I love that response, it feels like you're actually trying to have a conversation with me and just speak to me as a home, instead of just listing Positives like a resume
(You would be surprised about how many people do that to me! Don't they realise I'm looking to see what it would feel like to actually LIVE there?? )
I first looked at Sheffield because somebody who lives there told me (On this site) that they knew a guy around my age from ONTARIO, Who is currently living there as a student, and loves it! Soo I thought, from a Canadian's point of View it was worth checking out .
you're Typecasting just a little bit haha. I'm actually looking for a more City style place. I am a Performer, so I like having venues to play at. I plan to move once I finish with Uni

I would LOVE too visit, but I don't see it happening untill NEXT summer at the earliest. It's not practical for me to spend the costs, as I have to move this Summer for school .

By the way, did you Actually think I was someone from England??
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, did you Actually think I was someone from England??
Why wouldn't he? Your English is actually pretty good for a foreigner.

BTW, you said about population of Manchester, but that's only for the central city (and Sheffield is v similar), if you include greater Manchester it's several million.

Personally if I were you I'd look at Leeds. You want a busy city in the north of England with lots of culture? Leeds or Manchester would be my choices (although I still think that London would be best if you want culture).
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

*sigh* at this rate I'm never going to make a decision... I love too many places, I just checked out Manchester and I have to admit, I am impressed by the concert arena ( Greater then the 02 and MSG! Thats insane!! ) and the Larger Retail industry there (would be easier to find work. ) But although it looks Massive and has some similaries physically to vancouver (Except it has a LOT more gorgeous Historical Buildings. It IS England afterall) it has such a Small population o.O Only 502,000?? Is it smaller then it appears?or does it just have a less squished population??
The city is actually quite small, you can walk from one side to ther other in 45 mins no problems. Its a beautiful city, I love it more than any other city in the UK. BUt maybe thats because im from here. Manchester is MY city, and I love it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.