Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sharing views of 12 year old daughter

Sharing views of 12 year old daughter

Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

chicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the rough
Default Sharing views of 12 year old daughter

Hi. Like so many before me I have been following posts on this forum for a long time and the knowledge we have gained from everyone's posts has been invaluable.
Now, 3 weeks before we begin our new lives in Halifax, I thought I'd post for the first time to share with you a poem my 12 year old daughter gave to me this morning.

Exploring Canada

"Do you have to move?"
"Please keep in touch"
"What will you remember?"
"Will you miss us much?"
"Write to me."
"And me! Every day!"
"You'll really be missed."
This is what they say.

I don't want to move,
Well, sometimes I do.
I feel very excited,
But nervous too,
I have so many things
I want to find out,
But no-one has answers,
I'm ready to shout.

I'll miss lots of people,
Friends from my school
I hope they think of me,
And give me a call.
My family - them too
They go with the flow,
But truly I'm sure
They don't want us to go.

I must leave my house,
And other places too.
What will happen then?
I don't have a clue.
We'll be out on our own,
A family of four,
Will it all go OK?
I'm not really sure.

But then I get thinking,
There's lots out there you know!
There are beaches and fields,
Mountains with snow.
They'll be new things to try,
More friends to make,
Wonderful scenery
Chances to take.

So maybe it's worth it,
We can give it a go!
We'll just play along,
Take everything slow.
We'll come back to visit,
Friends come and stay,
It will be an adventure,
Exploring Canada, eh?

Sums it up for me I think!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sharing views of 12 year old daughter

Sounds like you have a very balanced young lady there, I am sure she will settle just fine.

Welcome to BE. Where about are you going to be living/working?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:17 am
Just Joined

chicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the roughchicken cheese is a jewel in the rough

Thanks destinationnovascotia, hope you're right! Can't help but worry about how the move will affect the kids, but hopefully we've prepared them for complete chaos!

We are landing in 3 weeks but hubby is returning to try and sell the house.
At the moment we're looking at Hammonds Plains and Bedford areas to live, but are renting for a while first.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chicken cheese
Hi. Like so many before me I have been following posts on this forum for a long time and the knowledge we have gained from everyone's posts has been invaluable.
Now, 3 weeks before we begin our new lives in Halifax, I thought I'd post for the first time to share with you a poem my 12 year old daughter gave to me this morning.

Exploring Canada

"Do you have to move?"
"Please keep in touch"
"Will you miss us much?"
"Write to me."
"And me! Every day!"
This is what they say.

I don't want to move,
Well, sometimes I do.
I feel very excited,
But nervous too,
I have so many things
I want to find out,
But no-one has answers,
I'm ready to shout.

Friends from my school
I hope they think of me,
And give me a call.
My family - them too
They go with the flow,
But truly I'm sure

I must leave my house,
And other places too.
What will happen then?
I don't have a clue.
We'll be out on our own,
A family of four,
Will it all go OK?
I'm not really sure.

But then I get thinking,
Mountains with snow.
More friends to make,
Wonderful scenery
Chances to take.

So maybe it's worth it,
We can give it a go!
We'll just play along,
Take everything slow.
Friends come and stay,
It will be an adventure,
Exploring Canada, eh?

What a great poem and one that should be put on a sticky me thinks!!

I was wondering whether there could be a kids section on this site - purely where other kids can talk to one another.

I have a 10 year old and 8 year old... My daughter loves to write poems and stories too and I thought that when we eventually get to Canada she could write something to share her highs and lows of moving over..to help others in the throws of doing so..its a great way for them to express their feelings.

What a gift your daughter has too!

Perhaps we could start a "kids view" thread where our kids can come on and say what they think! This could be very interesting of course haahha.

Good luck with everything - we too are trying to sell - so I send you all the good vibes I can!

Well done that Kiddo!

Natalie
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

What a clever little girl.

Tell her that we all say thank you, I'm going to show it to my kids tonight, they feel abit confused at times too.

Good luck with the house
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:03 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicken cheese

Exploring Canada

"Do you have to move?"
"Please keep in touch"
"Will you miss us much?"
"Write to me."
"And me! Every day!"
This is what they say.

I don't want to move,
Well, sometimes I do.
I feel very excited,
But nervous too,
I have so many things
I want to find out,
But no-one has answers,
I'm ready to shout.

Friends from my school
I hope they think of me,
And give me a call.
My family - them too
They go with the flow,
But truly I'm sure

I must leave my house,
And other places too.
What will happen then?
I don't have a clue.
We'll be out on our own,
A family of four,
Will it all go OK?
I'm not really sure.

But then I get thinking,
Mountains with snow.
More friends to make,
Wonderful scenery
Chances to take.

So maybe it's worth it,
We can give it a go!
We'll just play along,
Take everything slow.
Friends come and stay,
It will be an adventure,
Exploring Canada, eh?

Wow i think the poem is fab,I have a 12 year old boy and a 9 year old daughter and I will be showing it to them. Well done she obviously has really thought about it it's great
good luck with everything!!
Bella
xx
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
I was wondering whether there could be a kids section on this site - purely where other kids can talk to one another.

Natalie
There is one here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
Nats
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I've found it difficult to always reassure both my girls (aged 10 and 12) because I simply don't have the answers to all their questions!
For example, we have discussed French Immersion with my eldest, but I don't really feel that I have enough knowledge to advise her properly. We've said that we'll wait and speak to people who know about these things once we get there!!
Mind you, us adults don't know all the answers to our own questions either - Isn't that part of the adventure?
PS good luck to NatsnSid with your house sale.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:18 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

Thats a fab poem from a 12 yr old .

My daughter is 11(12 in Dec) and she has adapted really well .

She managed to get 3 wks of school in before they finished for the summer break which helped because she has friends to go to school with, she has been on numourous sleep-overs & parties as well.

Your daughters will fit in great, everyone wants to be new friends with the 'brit kids' .

Of course we have had the odd tears but nothing really major, this internet is a great thing, she goes on the web-cam and chats with friends and family back in the UK regulary.

I'm sure they will love Canada, we have seen some amazing sights and we have only been here a few months .

I must remember to get my daughter to join the 'young person' forum on here.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:13 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzy33
What a clever little girl.
uh ... I doubt she'd thank you for that comment!

Great poem anyway!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:15 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful and thoughtful poem; as DNS writes, your daughter seems a well balance child (if there is such a thing ) give yourselves a pat on the back for a job well done.

Good luck in your journey to Canada.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:01 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

wow loved it, you must be proud of your daughter.

x
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:01 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Welcome to BE, what a really nice poem and as you say, "says it all"

Good luck with your move over to NS
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, she's glad you like her poem and I'm sure that there are lots of other kids out there who are also feeling mixed emotions about their big move!

We just hold onto the fact that the life experiences gained will hopefully outweigh the negatives of leaving behind friends and family.

And they've learnt 'O Canada' ready for the start of each school day!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.