Shared Housing in Vancouver

Wikiposts

Shared Housing in Vancouver

Old May 18th 2016, 1:07 am
Just Joined

cread90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shared Housing in Vancouver

Hi Everyone!

I'm moving to Vancouver in June on the IEC program. I have family who live in the suburbs so I'll be staying with them to start with while I look for somewhere else to live.

I've looked online for housing websites and the main sites that keep appearing are craigslist and kijiji. Is there anything similar to the UK website Spareroom.com?

I would really like to move into a shared house with like minded people, or even other expats but I'm struggling to find anything that isn't just a room being sublet in a home or rooms for international students. To be honest some of the adverts on craigslist/kijiji are just plain weird!

Finding a shared house is really important to me as it's obviously a great way to meet new people. I hate the idea of just renting a room somewhere

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance x
Old May 18th 2016, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shared Housing in Vancouver

Originally Posted by cread90
To be honest some of the adverts on craigslist/kijiji are just plain weird!
Welcome to Vancouver.

There is also pad mapper. It may be worth contacting some of the local universities or colleges housing associations as they may be able to give you some ideas of what they recommend for their students.
Old May 18th 2016, 2:54 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of Face book groups for house shares or shared accomodation in Vancouver. Also there are some expat groups that also advertise rooms in houses.

Craigslist is the most popular way of advertising for rooms/accomodation though
Old May 18th 2016, 3:14 am
Just Joined

cread90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
There are a couple of Face book groups for house shares or shared accomodation in Vancouver. Also there are some expat groups that also advertise rooms in houses.

Craigslist is the most popular way of advertising for rooms/accomodation though
Do you know the names of the FB groups/expat groups?

Thanks,
C
Old May 18th 2016, 2:34 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Airbnb is very popular in Canada. May be you should get in touch with a potential Host and see if they are willing to do a longer term lease.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:53 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cread90
Do you know the names of the FB groups/expat groups?

Thanks,
C
The one I was in was a 'secret group' so you had to know someone already in the group to be invited. However, if you look up 'Brits expats Vancouver' or 'brits in vancouver' and post in there, you might get some replies