Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shared Flight (with pets) from UK to US?

Wikiposts

Shared Flight (with pets) from UK to US?

Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

karinap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shared Flight (with pets) from UK to US?

After 5 years in London, I will be soon be relocating back to the US. I am bringing my dog with me, but don't feel comfortable sending him via the cargo hold of a commercial flight.

Given that, I'm hoping to gather other pet-owners interested in flying a similar route so we can share a charter flight. With enough people, the cost is pretty reasonable and I already have a few others on board.

So I am wondering if anyone else would be interested in sharing a flight? My ideal route is London to east coast US/Canada (Toronto/Montreal/Boston/New York) in December/January, but am very flexible in terms of route and timing.

Please let me know if you're interested and I can share more information!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shared Flight (with pets) from UK to US?

So am I reading this correctly you are looking to charter an aircraft yourself along with others who dont like the thought of putting their pets in a cargo hold. Are the pets going to be all in the main cabin area as opposed to the cargo hold.
If the cost of the seat is cheaper than a commercial flight could I buy a ticket if I dont have a pet?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Hi Former Lancastrian,

Thanks for the email.

The flight would be open to people who don't have pets, as well, so you'd be very welcome. The pets would be in the cabin (on leads, etc) rather than in cargo.

I'm not sure what type of ticket you would buy for commercial - the price wont come down enough to beat an economy ticket, but will probably be more along the lines of a first class ticket. (So not cheap, but as a once-off cost to get a dog to the US without putting him in cargo, it's pretty good.)

Let me know if you're still interested...
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested in this as my dog gets car sick if he doesn't get a window seat.

Presumably he would be able to get a window seat if it's a private charter, but not over the wing, he doesn't like it when the flaps go up and down.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I would be interested in this as my dog gets car sick if he doesn't get a window seat.

Presumably he would be able to get a window seat if it's a private charter, but not over the wing, he doesn't like it when the flaps go up and down.
How is he sharing the cabin with a couple of hundred other yapping peeing and pooping colleagues?

I wonder if the OP has heard of the QE2?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karinap
After 5 years in London, I will be soon be relocating back to the US. I am bringing my dog with me, but don't feel comfortable sending him via the cargo hold of a commercial flight.

Given that, I'm hoping to gather other pet-owners interested in flying a similar route so we can share a charter flight. With enough people, the cost is pretty reasonable and I already have a few others on board.

So I am wondering if anyone else would be interested in sharing a flight? My ideal route is London to east coast US/Canada (Toronto/Montreal/Boston/New York) in December/January, but am very flexible in terms of route and timing.

Please let me know if you're interested and I can share more information!
If your dog is small some US airlines will allow you to take your dog in the cabin from the UK to the US. From the US to Canada there are many airlines that will allow the same. My daughter is flying to Newark from Toronto Billy Bishop airport with her 10 lb dog in the cabin in a couple of weeks.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is it now time to point out to the OP that this thread might attract some not so serious enquiries or will the flight accept parrots and cats and a host of other critters and that this is a Canadian site and probably should be in the US area although admittedly some might choose to fly to the US then carry on into Canada.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:26 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

If my dog is on a specific diet do the meal choices on the charter flight provide a vegan option that is prepared with no nuts ?

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
He may be able to open the window and get some fresh air.

Last edited by Animal; Dec 7th 2012 at 4:38 am.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:35 am
Just Joined

runningclaire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How is he sharing the cabin with a couple of hundred other yapping peeing and pooping colleagues?

I wonder if the OP has heard of the QE2?
The QE2 only allows guide dogs on board.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The QM2 has a few kennels on board. It's becoming quite a popular way to travel across the pond with a dog. Especially as you can take as much luggage as you can fit into your cabin.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by runningclaire
The QE2 only allows guide dogs on board.
So the Queen wouldn't be allowed to bring her Corgi's, that must really suck!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The QM2 has a few kennels on board. It's becoming quite a popular way to travel across the pond with a dog. Especially as you can take as much luggage as you can fit into your cabin.
yes, the qm2 has 12 kennels but they are fully booked for 2013
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by runningclaire
yes, the qm2 has 12 kennels but they are fully booked for 2013
Yes it does require quite a bit of forward planning. Quite a few of our members have been able to get cancellations.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 7th 2012 at 4:55 am.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Quite a few of our members have been able to get cancellations.
I was told by cunard, my dog could only go on the cancellation list of the crossing I was booked on, which makes it difficult if no cancellation comes up.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Cunard would be great, but the next crossing with kennel availability is early 2014 and unfortunately I'm not able to wait that long. I've been calling for cancellations over the past few months but haven't had any luck. (Given the size of my dog, I would need two kennels which makes it a bit harder.) Otherwise, this would be a great option.

In terms of bringing him in the cabin - unfortunately he's too big, but thank you for the suggestion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.