Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SH*t time to really hit the panic button now !!!!

Wikiposts

SH*t time to really hit the panic button now !!!!

Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:45 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default SH*t time to really hit the panic button now !!!!

Guys

Had a phone call last night to say that my Labour Market Opinion has been approved !!!!! :scared:

Time scales was just under 4 weeks, yes 4 bloomin weeks

I was anticipating around 8 weeks so I am really panicking now

House still not sold yet as the market is very slow up here !!!

What do I do now, only sensible answers please !!!!!!!!!

Work permit only taking around 4 weeks to be granted

Holy Sh*t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice PLEASE !!!!!

Eddie
Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SH*t time to really hit the panic button now !!!!

First of all congratulations!!!

IS your home listed with one agent? would you consider doing it as a 'Team' effort (i think thats what its called where multiple agents list?)

Would also you consider reducing the price a little bit?

and if all else fails can you afford to leave the house empty for the agent to sell while you are away?

Good Luck
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:05 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations mate!
Can you afford to rent the place out? We did this, don't really know why! Think we just thought it'd be a good idea as an investment or a backup plan maybe! Anyway you can always put a clause into the rental agreement that you want to sell it, may help to rent it to a friend or family though? Could be better than leaving it empty at least you'll get some rent and also shows better for a viewing when there's someone/furniture in the place.
Anyway best of luck mate
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:07 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
First of all congratulations!!!

IS your home listed with one agent? would you consider doing it as a 'Team' effort (i think thats what its called where multiple agents list?)

Would also you consider reducing the price a little bit?

and if all else fails can you afford to leave the house empty for the agent to sell while you are away?

Good Luck
Thanks for advice britishvixen

Have recently moved my agent, other one was shit and had no input for the 6 weeks they had it listed, only timewasters, we cannot list with various agents in the UK.

House is going to be reduced by 5 grand this week Yikes $10 less, a lot of cash !!!!!

Cannot afford to move whole family and not have the money from the house sale, we did the sums the other day, impossible to keep a house in Canada, buy a car, insure the car, initial set up costs etc, and still pay a biggish mortgage on this house in the UK and the propery insurance council taxes etc

Thanks

Eddie
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:09 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Guys

Had a phone call last night to say that my Labour Market Opinion has been approved !!!!! :scared:

Any advice PLEASE !!!!!

Eddie
Firstly: DON'T PANIC!

Secondly: What is the worst that can happen? The house takes longer to sell than you would like, so what? You can sell it whilst you are in Canada, sure it's a bit more fiddly but you don't need to be present, let the agent (solicitor?) do it and earn their money.

Unless you desperately need the money from the sale then chill, your would be doing well to get it sold in 8 weeks anyway.

I would concentrate on all the other stuff you need to so, the house will sell when it sells, there's not much you can do unless you want to sell it at a bargain price.

Good luck!

Ian.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:14 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chops
Firstly: DON'T PANIC!

Secondly: What is the worst that can happen? The house takes longer to sell than you would like, so what? You can sell it whilst you are in Canada, sure it's a bit more fiddly but you don't need to be present, let the agent (solicitor?) do it and earn their money.

Unless you desperately need the money from the sale then chill, your would be doing well to get it sold in 8 weeks anyway.

I would concentrate on all the other stuff you need to so, the house will sell when it sells, there's not much you can do unless you want to sell it at a bargain price.

Good luck!

Ian.
No, it's in Scotland so if he can find a buyer, 8 weeks or less is no problem. Moving day is specified in the written offer so it's not a moving target.

Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:24 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by yonk
No, it's in Scotland so if he can find a buyer, 8 weeks or less is no problem. Moving day is specified in the written offer so it's not a moving target.

Not necessarily, when my aunt in Edinburgh died a couple of years ago it took about 6 months to sell the house. Sure it CAN be done but to get a house on the market and everything sorted in 8 weeks would be good going. As you said, it's finding that buyer or more precisely that buyer finding you

The Scottish system kind of helps in that when an offer is accepted it is binding but from my understanding this tends to mean people take longer before making that offer in the first place.

In theory you can buy or sell a house within a week in England but how often does that happen?!

I suppose you could auction it, that's pretty quick :scared:

ian.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:28 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Thanks for advice britishvixen

Have recently moved my agent, other one was shit and had no input for the 6 weeks they had it listed, only timewasters, we cannot list with various agents in the UK.

House is going to be reduced by 5 grand this week Yikes $10 less, a lot of cash !!!!!

Cannot afford to move whole family and not have the money from the house sale, we did the sums the other day, impossible to keep a house in Canada, buy a car, insure the car, initial set up costs etc, and still pay a biggish mortgage on this house in the UK and the propery insurance council taxes etc

Thanks

Eddie
Hi Eddie

Have you thought of releasing the equity in your house so you can use it to establish ourselves in Canada. I know this would mean increasing your existing mortgage, but at least you would have the money available to you whilst the house is on the market.

We did this prior to our visit to Canada in April. This meant that whilst we were in Canada we could buy a house, which we did. You only have to put a few thousand dollars down as a deposit to secure the sale which usually takes a further 10-12 weeks to go through. The mortgage kicks in a month after you actually get the house, so you will be free of a Canadian mortgage for about 3-4 months whilst hopefully you sell the UK property.

In the end we ended up with our original UK mortgage, the top-up mortgage (equity release) and potentially a Canadian one too. However, our UK house is sold pending the legal stuff and we moved out to Canada for good last week and will move into our new Canadian house on Friday.

Hopefully this will mean that if the UK sale goes through in the next few weeks, we will pay off both UK mortgages and only end up with the Canadian one, which is cheaper than our original UK one - hope this makes sense.

Worse case scenario is that we will have to pay all three for a month or two. This will be a pain, but worth it just to know we are in Canada in our own house and settled.

Good luck
Jane
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

badmojo is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys

Any advice PLEASE !!!!!

Eddie
Where are you going to, we have been waiting for 5 weeks now......
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Hit&Run has a spectacular aura aboutHit&Run has a spectacular aura aboutHit&Run has a spectacular aura about

Guys

Any advice PLEASE !!!!!

Eddie

You are exactly the same position as myself. Got the LMO last week. Filed this with the work permit application on MOnday 10. Need to start new job on 21 August in Toronto.

Have not found a buyer. Had one offer accepted but that fell through last week. Property listed with three agents now. Getting loads of viewings no offers yet.

Will leave it on the market till Mid October before I decide to rent it.

With regards to the sale - a lot of solicitors now do e-conveyancing (mine does anyway) so you do not need to be present in the country to sell. You can ask your solicitor to do all the pre sale enquires etc now so when you find a buyer you are in a position to exchange quickly.

Good luck
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations!

I would start collecting all the letters to and from your Estate Agent. When you finally arrive in CA you can show them to the Immigration Clark and state your point.You could be lucky and "get your stamp"!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:08 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
Congratulations!

I would start collecting all the letters to and from your Estate Agent. When you finally arrive in CA you can show them to the Immigration Clark and state your point.You could be lucky and "get your stamp"!
You dont need proof of funds for a work permit.

Congratulation Eddie, I dont have any suggestions, but I'll keep everything crossed that you find a buyer, and in the words of the book "DONT PANIC"
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:28 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't afford to all move without selling, is it on the cards for you to go on your own to start with, and family follow once the house sells?

Hubby went without me, as I was earning to pay the mortgage while our house sold. At the end, I signed it over to the solicitor to complete the sale.

Tough, but it's not for ever.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:15 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chops
Not necessarily, when my aunt in Edinburgh died a couple of years ago it took about 6 months to sell the house. Sure it CAN be done but to get a house on the market and everything sorted in 8 weeks would be good going. As you said, it's finding that buyer or more precisely that buyer finding you

The Scottish system kind of helps in that when an offer is accepted it is binding but from my understanding this tends to mean people take longer before making that offer in the first place.

In theory you can buy or sell a house within a week in England but how often does that happen?!

I suppose you could auction it, that's pretty quick :scared:

ian.

I did mean the legal stuff, finding the buyer is the tricky bit!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:26 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Guys

Any advice PLEASE !!!!!

Eddie
Congrats mate.

Haven't really got anything else to add to the advise you've already received.
Personally I'd be tempted to (if you can afford to) sell the place furnished. That way the viewers see it furnished, and you dont have to worry about booting tenants out when it sells. Of course if you're near a city its possible to 'rent' furniture so the place doesn't look empty.

Anyway whatever got yer ass over here and start living the dream\nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.