Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A severe case of nerves!

A severe case of nerves!

Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A severe case of nerves!

Originally Posted by G586
very early, you only need one!
LOL, that's exactly what we're telling ourselves Just one person with a bulging purse and a buring desire to buy our house!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:51 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
LOL, that's exactly what we're telling ourselves Just one person with a bulging purse and a buring desire to buy our house!
And mine!

Charlie
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

EViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by purple80
And mine!

Charlie
Just by coincidence I came across THIS pdf in a seperate thread in the Moving back to the UK folder. Should hopefully give some of you sellers a boost of confidence .
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EViS
Just by coincidence I came across THIS pdf in a seperate thread in the Moving back to the UK folder. Should hopefully give some of you sellers a boost of confidence .
Let's hope buyers will read this too!! I'm considering printing out the doc and spreading it around the city! Reading it does make me feel better, as it confirms how I feel about the market, but it's getting the buyers to feel confident!! Maybe the Bank of England could be nice enough to lower interest rates?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

EViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura about

Let's hope buyers will read this too!! I'm considering printing out the doc and spreading it around the city! Reading it does make me feel better, as it confirms how I feel about the market, but it's getting the buyers to feel confident!! Maybe the Bank of England could be nice enough to lower interest rates?
I'm pretty sure that I read (although can't comment where) that recent MPC talks have strongly hinted at a reduction to 5% next month? An earlier shift than previously expected...?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:39 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

It is early, you are right and also, our house has only been on the market for 5 weeks, so we're still hoping ...Our agent is hoping for a bit of a lift in April, but you are right, if we haven't had an offer before we go, we will drop the price... but we can't lower it indefinitely...at some point it would make more sense to rent it out and take it off the market rather than leaving it on.

what a situation to be in!!!
Where is the house? If you have a link (and four bedrooms) I may have a solution. PM if this applies.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:44 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhodeys
Hi Mrs B

Yep, we are in exactly the same boat! Except we fly out to Alberta in around 8 weeks time and our house has been on the market since October and still nothing! We have found somewhere nice to rent, I have a good job but at present hubby doesn't have a job yet and leaving a really good one in the UK...excited? Yes....Scared? Yes! Would we lose the chance we have? No way! Good luck with your house sale and good luck in Toronto...I sent a similiar post last week and do you know what we keep telling ourselves?...Remember the dream!

Stay excited! One foot in Red Deer...

Best wishes
Julie
Where abouts in Red Deer have you found to rent?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:58 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

We are in same boat - House is on market - though only just. Due to land hopefully in June, though hubby may have to go first if house is not sold.

Having a nightmare trying to keep the house tidy and spotless with 2 kids and a hubby Again we are in a good catchment area for schools etc have one viewing tomorrow BUT she is awating divorce settlement so wont be in a position to put in an offer for a few weeks even if she likes it ( makes you wonder why they bother really) BUT the up side is house only went on market yesterday so hopefully this is a positive sign.

Both myself and hubby are leaving good jobs here - im nursing management and he is self employed. He has been offered a job in vancouver through a trades agency and LMO is due in May / June - but i want to live on Vancouver Island so am hoping my nursing registration comes in before his LMO then we can go on my job not his lol

Have heard its not practical to commute from vancouver Island to vancouver daily and i would much rather live in nanaimo than vancouver

I'll just be glad when its all over and we are there and settled with house, jobs, and kids in schools - ive resigned myself to being a nervous wreck until then
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tanah

I'll just be glad when its all over and we are there and settled with house, jobs, and kids in schools - ive resigned myself to being a nervous wreck until then
yes, same here....I'm so wired all the time it's not true! and of course, that makes everything seem worse as well We feel we've had bad luck (i.e house not selling, car not selling, the council being bastards about the council tax....*we* still have to pay, even though we're not in the country but if you're in jail, you're exempt!? How is *that* fair?? Had a fairly heated discussion over the phone with them...told them that at least Dick Turpin wore a mask....Don't think it was appreciated ) for a while now and we just really need a break!

Dance, dance you house selling dancers! And all the best in Vancouver!! fingers crossed for you!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:12 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

told them that at least Dick Turpin wore a mask....Don't think it was appreciated
ha ha ha - but i bet it made you feel better!!!

Dont get me started on 'rip off' councils etc

As for 'bad luck' well its usually me and oh who are the bad luck magnets - its kind of a standing joke that 'sod's law' was invented for us. So im not expecting things to go smoothly at all
one eg/ advised to bring over letter from car insurance peeps to say Ive not had a claim in 10 years, cant ask until i have sold car. Walk out of house 2 days ago to find lovely local 'hoodies' have been on a vandalism spree up my road and have keyed all the side of my car and smahed ( cracked) the windscreen. - So now face dilemma pay for windscreen myself and try and Tcut the scratches out ( or pay someone to do it) or file claim with insurance and **poof** goes my lovely 10yr letter

sigh well at least its not just us with the bad luck now
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about

Good luck to everyone trying to see their houses!

We're not in quite the same position (PR application only going in this week) but I know how you feel on the house front... we moved 200 miles north for work last summer and bought a house on a 2nd mortgage as we (wrongly!) assumed our lovely house in the south would sell pretty quickly... 9 months later and it hasn't! We have 2 mortgages, 2 sets of bills... ouch.

Don't want to rent it out yet as we totally renovated it and it looks gorgeous... again, like other people said.... nice house, nice area, good schools, reasonably priced (compared to everything else on the market in the area)...

Re. council tax... we're paying one of our houses on a 'holiday home' rate as we're only there occasionally.... varies around the country but our council gives us 50% off... might be something to look into if you end up leaving it on the market?

Good luck everyone!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Griff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really nice

Mr and Mrs B

To add to the comment of 254.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ouncil_tax.htm

You will see that you can have 6 months free.

I had a situation a while back. Two houses, stupid of me but I was lazy getting number two on the market, and got six months free. Then declared single occupancy for a 25% reduction. This was a better bet than the 10% reduction the council offered on second homes.

Good luck.
Andy

Last edited by Griff_500; Apr 1st 2008 at 3:09 pm. Reason: I said 6 months rent free by mishtake
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

yes, same here....I'm so wired all the time it's not true! and of course, that makes everything seem worse as well We feel we've had bad luck (i.e house not selling, car not selling, the council being bastards about the council tax....*we* still have to pay, even though we're not in the country but if you're in jail, you're exempt!? How is *that* fair?? Had a fairly heated discussion over the phone with them...told them that at least Dick Turpin wore a mask....Don't think it was appreciated ) for a while now and we just really need a break!

Dance, dance you house selling dancers! And all the best in Vancouver!! fingers crossed for you!
Ref Council Tax:

If it remains furnished then a 50% discount will apply. If the property is unfurnished then an exemption will apply for the first six months and then a 50% charge will apply.

Ours has been on the market for a month with ZERO viewings and is unfurnished therefore qualifies for the above exemption for 6 months they never even came out to check just sent out a new bill with exemption on it.

Did you know about this? if not get back onto them if you did sorry just thought I'd let you know.

TA Dave
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry.....Just noticed the 2 posts before mine so I'll shut up...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Griff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really niceGriff_500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Sorry.....Just noticed the 2 posts before mine so I'll shut up...
Hey Davie, dont shut up. The more people that post then the more credibility the info has and the less of our hard earned the council gets so they can put yet another mini roundabout at a t junction that worked just fine the way it was and dont even get me started on speed humps and width restrictions that are too narrow to get a police patrol van through and dont the young hooligans know it.... I think I will shut up now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.