British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Settling in... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/settling-264583/)

Brodel Nov 5th 2004 10:36 am

Settling in...

I've read a few posts about how some workplaces have a different atmosphere than in the UK, and others with people saying that they still feel like the outsider.
I was just wondering how settled and accepted everyone feels in thier new home....do you feel you can call it home? I was also wondering what kind of humor people have, obviously both things depend on the person and the people they socialize with etc and there isnt a generic answer but I am 20 and will be starting at University in January and am pretty nervous about fitting in and being accepted as I will be thrown in at the deep end and shairing an apartment with two other strangers :scared: and am hoping a similar sense of humor will help get me through amongst other things. obviously I cant avoid them seeing me as different but I'm hoping it fades relatively fast. :confused:

daisymoll Nov 5th 2004 11:57 am

Re: Settling in...

I reckon students are students whereever they are! You'll be fine. Your sense of humour will probably go right over their heads but I'm sure that once you get down the bar, everything will be fine!

Brodel Nov 7th 2004 1:59 pm

Yea, im keeping my fingers crossed, I'm not ashamed of being British, I just dont want to stand out too and want to feel accepted rather than some kind of novelty foreign guy heh.

Glaswegian Nov 7th 2004 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Brodel
some kind of novelty foreign guy heh.

Change that to:

" ... some kind of novelty foreign guy, eh?"

You'll fit right in :cool:

wizzard Nov 7th 2004 3:43 pm

I really think it depends where you finally end up living and your personal lifestyle in contrast to theirs. For example if you are heading to Toronto like where I am then I doubt anyone in the world really needs to worry much about 'fitting in' it's a huge multicultural city and there are people from literally anywhere so in the end you have to wonder what you are fitting in with. Are you fitting in with a 1940's pre immigration Toronto that is reflected in certian more old fashioned parts of the city or are you fitting in with little italy or china town or greek town etc. At my work there are people from about 40 different countries so many people you meet will either be in the same 'newbie' situation as you or will have been though it and understand it. And even amongst the born in Canada people (can't use native here eh) you will find in toronto many of them have moved to the city from otherparts of cthe country and so are also fitting in with a different pace or style of life.

You have to remember that while Canada is bigger than the US it has only a tiny population and only 3 or 4 major cities which vary in character a lot. So someone who grew up in Calgary or Halifax moving to Toronto is still a pretty big adjustment.

So once you get in tune with common Canadian things like the money and grocery and consumer products and the way the general everyday life works you will be at the same point as most people.

Now if you were moving to a small town away from a major city you might have more work fitting in as you will find less diversity. So if you were say a Chinese Buddhist and for some reason were relocating to a small northern Albertan town with a population of 2000 white baptists who all know each other you might have more of a job settling down. Same if you are an anglophone who moves to rural or pretty much anywhere in Quebec that isn't Montreal or maybe Hull. Or you could move to Vancouver, live there for 3 years and feel at home then relocate to St John's on the East Coast and feel completely out of place and have to re settle.

I'd think if you are heading to University you have a large advantage in that there will be students from a) all over Canada and b) all over the world. Everyone is in a new place, most in a new city and all finding their bearings. Probbaly most living on their own for the first time (even if you are a grad student you will find lots of these either among the undergraduates or even grads from other cities) and so there will be a general atmosphere of people exploring and finding stuff out and you will make lots of contacts all perfect for when you graduate and need a job.

Drew

Brodel Nov 7th 2004 5:27 pm

Yea, you have some good points in that post Drew, thanks for the reply :)

I guess I have it easier in the long run because I will be thrown in the deep end and have no choice but to get to know people and get envolved in every day life, compared to some people that might move there and take while to get into things. Im just nervous but keeping my fingers crossed :)

Rhodes Nov 7th 2004 5:43 pm

I reckon that, as a new student, being British might help, simply because you will have something to talk about. People will be interested in your 'story', probably.

What hisses me off slightly, though, is when people say that I sound like Hugh Grant or Prince Charles and ask me to say something in a British accent. :o

ukjo Nov 7th 2004 6:20 pm

Yea, im keeping my fingers crossed, I'm not ashamed of being British, I just dont want to stand out too and want to feel accepted rather than some kind of novelty foreign guy heh.

They will love you and the fact that youve got an accent yes it will attract them to you but its not a bad thing. When I first moved here I was scared to open my mouth as everyone stopped and stared but after a while you get used to it and it wont bother you. You can actually use it to your advantage at times (dreaded credit card sign ups etc at the mall, just say you dont live here and youre on holiday!!!!) I actually just got 5 bucks off an antique book earlier today just because I was English!!!!lol

Toontje Nov 7th 2004 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ukjo
I actually just got 5 bucks off an antique book earlier today just because I was English!!!!lol

You sure you got the 5 bucks off 'cause you're english and not 'cause the antique book matched so nice with your face? :D

Don't hit me, please!

Brodel Nov 7th 2004 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by ukjo
They will love you and the fact that youve got an accent yes it will attract them to you but its not a bad thing. When I first moved here I was scared to open my mouth as everyone stopped and stared but after a while you get used to it and it wont bother you. You can actually use it to your advantage at times (dreaded credit card sign ups etc at the mall, just say you dont live here and youre on holiday!!!!) I actually just got 5 bucks off an antique book earlier today just because I was English!!!!lol

haha yea, thats one thing im worried about, speaking in class. i always feel very conscious that I sound different when i go abroad.
but like Rhodes said, I guess it will be a conversation starter and who knows, maybe my young 20 year old accent will catch up a slight canadian twang to it after a few years heh.

Toontje Nov 7th 2004 8:03 pm

maybe my young 20 year old accent will catch up a slight canadian twang to it after a few years heh.

The sound does, the writing not yet, eh?

Brodel Nov 7th 2004 8:09 pm

haha my bad, eh?

Glaswegian Nov 7th 2004 8:11 pm

haha my bad, eh?

No doot, eh?

Toontje Nov 7th 2004 8:12 pm

haha my bad, eh?

I suppose you finally got it, eh? :D

wizzard Nov 7th 2004 10:01 pm

haha yea, thats one thing im worried about, speaking in class. i always feel very conscious that I sound different when i go abroad.
but like Rhodes said, I guess it will be a conversation starter and who knows, maybe my young 20 year old accent will catch up a slight canadian twang to it after a few years heh.

At least you speak English though, there may be people in your classes for whom English is a 2nd language and so will be feeling even more nervous about public speaking. Where are you studying?

I dunno about the accent. I'm 25 and have been visiting Canada since I was 19 to visit my (now) wife and have lived here for a year and a half and I don't really notice much change in my accent. Perhaps I will notice something when I go back to visit my family in England at Christmas.

Drew