Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Setting up a business in Canada

Setting up a business in Canada

Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Setting up a business in Canada

So many questions.....

I recently received my pr as a cook and would like to change what I do for a living, I am still in uk and I have just under 3 years move to Canada. I can't be the only one that has thought of completely changing their lives, if you could, what would you do? What opportunities exist in Canada that you see clearly is not being addressed where you live? I am not going to be a brain surgeon or engineer, perhaps I could be a lorry driver or run a small shop selling cakes. I suppose I really want to know is, what and where are the gaps in the market.

Yorkie
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:05 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up a business in Canada

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
So many questions.....

...I suppose I really want to know is, what and where are the gaps in the market.

Yorkie
Have you given any thought to cheese making?...

(Just to save anyone else the embarrassment of having to suggest it)
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:11 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you echo the thoughts of many of us. Could I ask where you are intending to settle, if you have firmly decided, as I'm sure it might influence responses?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
Have you given any thought to cheese making?...

(Just to save anyone else the embarrassment of having to suggest it)
What a great idea! I suppose getting milk would be a problem in winter though?

What a great start.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MillieF
I am sure you echo the thoughts of many of us. Could I ask where you are intending to settle, if you have firmly decided, as I'm sure it might influence responses?
I have visited Vancouver and the island, too much rain for me, though I thought parts of it be nice. I can see the possibility of exploiting the tourist trade. I am visiting Ontario in the summer and Alberta is planned for next year, seems a long while off, I am saving like there is no tomorrow, but the trips take their toll on the savings.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:09 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

What a great idea! I suppose getting milk would be a problem in winter though?

What a great start.
Do you think we kill off every cow in September and kids are deprived of milk until April?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Do you think we kill off every cow in September and kids are deprived of milk until April?
That is what is happening in uk at the moment, the fields are too wet and farmers have insufficient fodder to get through the winter. So possibly, yes. Though you could give them USA milk, or cheap ec milk. Do they all go into big heated milking sheds for the winter? Honestly, I thought you just imported from the USA. I can now se why cheese is so expensive if the raw ingredient is expensive to start with.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

That is what is happening in uk at the moment, the fields are too wet and farmers have insufficient fodder to get through the winter. So possibly, yes. Though you could give them USA milk, or cheap ec milk. Do they all go into big heated milking sheds for the winter? Honestly, I thought you just imported from the USA. I can now se why cheese is so expensive if the raw ingredient is expensive to start with.
Cheese is expensive in Canada compared to the UK because dairy products are subsidised in Europe.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

You could be a stand-up comic.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnh009
Cheese is expensive in Canada compared to the UK because dairy products are subsidised in Europe.
Is it the same in USA?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnh009
You could be a stand-up comic.
6 quick beats of a drum and the symbol crash - can the last person out turn out the lights. That would be my performances.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

*ROFL.... that was a good one*
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

I have visited Vancouver and the island, too much rain for me, though I thought parts of it be nice. I can see the possibility of exploiting the tourist trade. I am visiting Ontario in the summer and Alberta is planned for next year, seems a long while off, I am saving like there is no tomorrow, but the trips take their toll on the savings.
ok..maybe I don't understand this right? you do have the PR? so what do you keep on visiting instead of moving???

If you are cook, you find employment. If you want to change direction, do so after you worked a bit here and have seen what it is really like? Or start a job and do look for a great opportunity...but why would you spend all the money visiting, if you can live here?

Opening a restaurant or bakery would be something great here...if you are good and different. But then, you will need to work your a... off for a few years...as pretty much in every start-up of business (I bet even stand-up comedians don't have it easy for a start )

Can I ask: "exploiting the tourist trade" ? what exactly do you mean by that?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:55 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst people might believe Canada is somewhat backward - believe it or not, if there were any yawning gaps in the market they would be filled don't you fret.

Tourist are already exploited FI in Alberta, the main ones that spring to mind are Calgary (Stampede), Banff and Jasper. There's gift shops selling stuffed fluffy mooses and BandB's galore.

You need to think of a niche market and exploit that ( there are lots of Brit shops already in areas with lots of Brits funnily enough!)

Best thing to do is find something you enjoy doing and do that, at least you'll have your heart in it.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

How about a fish and shop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.