Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Setanta Sports

Setanta Sports

Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setanta Sports

That's interesting you have Eastlink, grantanddebs. We're looking to move to NS next year and I looked at the website, but it's not clear to identify what's what.

When we moved here we looked at the most basic package and some French 'add-ons' we wanted - needed would be more accurate as the step-kids are Quebec French - plus some footie and we discovered there was a bilingual package with Starchoice that included all that and more and it was actually cheaper than the basic with add-ons. So that's what we went for. But there is still unnecessary stuff.

It's about $58 without Setanta and phone/internet with Aliant (incl calls) is $85. So $143. Does your $116 include phone calls? Fox SWCanada?

Yours looks cheaper, but if French channels aren't available on Eastlink we might have to stick with Starchoice when we move.

I've been using the free streams for quite a few years. Most of what I get comes from here. It's all nice and clear and offers several streams of each game without searching.

JustinTV has been quite useful too. The livefooty site often seems to have the same stream (click on the stream and it takes you to their site. One advantage of JustinTV is they have a chatroom feature. I don't touch it - they annoy me. But you know when the stream disappears occasionally....someone in the chatroom will quickly post an alternative link and a quick copy/paste means you can carry on watching.

That happened to me in the Croatia v England game and my replacement stream was a better quality.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 26th 2008 at 12:42 am.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

hi, the calls are not included in the $116, but our local calls are free.

to be honest we dont use the phone much anyway. its more for our relatives calling us from uk and nz!!

there are some french channels on this package. and yes, we get fox too. we decided to go with eastlink after talking to people at work and most people said eastlink was pretty good.

just been flicking through the channels quickly and there are at least 11 french channels!!! everything from cartoons, movies, comedy, news and sport. there are probably more as well!!

go with eastlink!!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But there is still unnecessary stuff.

Fox SWCanada?

I've been using the free streams for quite a few years. Most of what I get comes from here. It's all nice and clear and offers several streams of each game without searching.
To me Fox Sports World Canada is unnecessary....they have no premier league games and other than Serie A they show endless repeats of their highlights show which is amateurish at best.

Have you had any problems in terms of viruses spam, spyware etc with livefooty.doctor....do you have to download any software that is dodgy?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:30 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Other Half, an avid Celtic supporter, put Setanta on our cable package two months ago. Such is his interest and evident commitment to the channel, the kids think he has moved out and the dog growls at him when he emerges from the TV room. I may have to join the Setanta Widows Club.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Come on the Jam Tarts. I will have t try and watch it this weekend! I dont get santana in Germany, Sky is always the English matches. So I will tell you how we hammered you later
Thanks and is goodnight from me and its goodnight from him
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:41 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Mine seems to have disappeared from Rogers menu, very puzzling, and a work colleague's has as well.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
To me Fox Sports World Canada is unnecessary....they have no premier league games and other than Serie A they show endless repeats of their highlights show which is amateurish at best.

Have you had any problems in terms of viruses spam, spyware etc with livefooty.doctor....do you have to download any software that is dodgy?
I think we've discussed FSWC before.
I still think there's enough for the $1.50- $2.50 a month. The highlight show at least has goals from EPL if one has missed them. Having said that, Setanta now has a similar show but there are other live games...under-21s. It's less than a paper or two each month.

I used to use IE to watch the games on livefooty...they said firefox doesn't work, although some people claim it's okay.

Some people feel that downloading some of the things needed allowed spyware but I never had viruses or any problems. My wife (a bit of a computer whiz) feels that IE itself is actually a bit dodgy.

Since I got Setanta I watch the streams far less often. But what I have noticed lately is that with livefooty offering several streams of each game, at least one of them is flashplayer and that's apparently safe. So I'm taking her advice and using firefox and when I watch a stream I select the last option which always seems to be flashplayer. In fact last weekend I watched Chelsea/ManU and at least streams 3,4 & 5 were flashplayer.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:32 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
just been flicking through the channels quickly and there are at least 11 french channels!!! everything from cartoons, movies, comedy, news and sport. there are probably more as well!!

go with eastlink!!!
Thanks....I shall certainly look into it.
I just remembered....another reason why we went with Starchoice was the dish was on the house already and the equipment was here too.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

So I am in Germany, I get Sky and all the UK cannels, my brother is in Spain he does the same. Could I pack up my dish etc and take it out there, would this work?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:43 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart8472
Has anyone got Setanta sports as part of their cable package? Dont want to miss out on the Queens XI romping to a record breaking 52nd Scottish League title.

Thanks
Stuart
Try this. Watch games online. I watched Croats getting walloped by England recently.

http://www.stoogetv.com/player.html
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

hi dinger. not too sure about that. i think you would be able to tune in to something but not the same satellite as you get across europe. i remember when i lived in holland and we just set up our dish in the back garden and got all our local scottish channels!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Last year my local cable company provided Setanta on a trial free preview. The major problem I had with the channel was that the presentation was choppy, often with no introduction to live games that appear out of nowhere, or appearing out of synch with the TV guide times or content. Their coverage of the Rugby World Cup was barely adequate at best....

....perhaps things have improved since then ?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Cyan
The major problem I had with the channel was that the presentation was choppy, often with no introduction to live games that appear out of nowhere, or appearing out of synch with the TV guide times or content. Their coverage of the Rugby World Cup was barely adequate at best....

....perhaps things have improved since then ?
Not really...but you get used to it and if one wants the games there's not much alternative. Better to have the game magically appear than no game. It's not that the presentation is poor, we're just not getting the full thing. The intros, half time chat/analysis is broken up by adverts for the UK. Whether they don't show it because we are not allowed to see that or it's cheaper for them to 'disconnect' I don't know.

The guide times here are Eastern, but we're Atlantic. So I just add an hour to the time shown. But the satellite channel guide is accurate and then there's the setanta site listings...allowing that they show Eastern time too.

RWC was okay, other than the games I was mainly interested in were PPV. Oh yes, the coverage was extremely anti-England team too.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 26th 2008 at 1:41 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart8472 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
Queens XI ???

you should be on Fallow Fallow
I've just logged off.

Great website once you learn to ignore some of the eejit posters.

FF Loyal
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

http://www.myp2p.eu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.