Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A seriously (sarcastic yet important) question!

A seriously (sarcastic yet important) question!

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:11 pm
God

NickyP84 will become famous soon enoughNickyP84 will become famous soon enough
Default A seriously (sarcastic yet important) question!

Well, I'm just off the phone for the second time today with Excess Baggage.

To cut a long story short I'm leaving for Canada on Monday morning and have been arranging to have my stuff flown over after I get there. Last week I got a quote from Excess Baggage for £216. Not too bad I thought, sounds pretty good.

Anyway, so I got home last night and called the person who originally quoted me to find he'd left for the day but was reassured by another charming fellow that he could book it all for me over the phone - what could be easier I hear you say? So it was arranged that I'd be paying £234.25 now (don't ask me where the extra £18 was coming from - admin costs I'd assumed) and the courier would be coming on Wednesday to drop off my empty box. Top notch indeed.

I was emailed the forms and got them today in work. Hmmm, what's this? Why'd they send me USA customs forms when I'm going to Canada? I think I better send a wee email to check and see -

I'm just emailing for a bit of clarification. Several of the attachments included with your email are for the USA. As I'm not having my box flown to the USA shall I just omit those or are there forms for Canada that you maybe need to send me?

Many Thanks
Nick
That's pretty clear right?

Hi Nick, Sorry I sent those documents. Just discard of them. All you need to fillout is all the other forms other than the American forms. As well assupply us with a copy of the Id page of your passport and Visa. Cheers
Ok, that's cool. Sorted.

So I got in later on with a little question I needed to get answered. On the payment form it say's you can only pay be credit or debit card if you're the person shipping and collecting. Hmmm, does that count me out if my father is going to put it on his debit card?

This question went back and forth and eventually my 'customer sales agent' was able to tell me that I would just have to send them a cheque tomorrow for £280 somthing.....hold on, what did you say? £280? You mean £234 right? No sir, £280.

So I argued for an explanation for 5 minutes then my 'agent' put me on hold for 10 minutes before coming back and telling me that he could see what the problem was now. Hallelujah!! The original quote was correct because I'd only wanted to send 20KG of stuff and someone (like you don't know who as I've only spoken to 2 people) incorrectly put me down as wanting to ship 40KG.

After this astounding revelation my 'agent' asked if I would mind him going to speak to his supervisor to make sure he was correct and then call me back in 5-10 minutes - naturally I encouraged this course of action as I'd been given a different answer to 4 different questions and was quickly losing hope, patience and belief that this company was trustworthy enough to have possession of my belongings for any period of time.

After 15 minutes I called him back to find he'd gone for the day. Oh really? So can I speak to his Supervisor then? He's gone for the day too? What a great bunch of lads. If only I could work there too!!

Apparently my 'agent's' Supervisor doesn't have a surname that anybody working tonight is aware of. What a cool guy having only one name; maybe Jean Claude Van Damme could donate one of his.......

So I ended up speaking to another person who came across as having an attitude of not caring and not wanting to help in any way. She was able to tell me if I wanted to fly over 20 KG it would indeed be £216 and not £280.
Naturally there was no explanation as to why my 'agent' had buggered off home instead of calling me back after reassuring me he had my phone number (by repeating it back to me) but that I should just call him back tomorrow between 9 and 5.30

Now, I know this is extremely sarcastic (in places ) but there is a definite point to be made and a serious question to ask of all the kind folk on this board.

Would you call them back after all the shenanigans or just cancel the whole contract bearing in mind I've been completely truthful with all the facts and haven't embellished at all in this post......

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

NickyP
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:19 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A seriously (sarcastic yet important) question!

Originally Posted by NickyP84

To cut a long story short I'm leaving for Canada on Monday morning and have been arranging to have my stuff flown over after I get there. Last week I got a quote from Excess Baggage for £216. Not too bad I thought, sounds pretty good.

Anyway, so I got home last night and called the person who originally quoted me to find he'd left for the day but was reassured by another charming fellow that he could book it all for me over the phone - what could be easier I hear you say? So it was arranged that I'd be paying £234.25 now (don't ask me where the extra £18 was coming from - admin costs I'd assumed) and the courier would be coming on Wednesday to drop off my empty box. Top notch indeed.

I was emailed the forms and got them today in work. Hmmm, what's this? Why'd they send me USA customs forms when I'm going to Canada? I think I better send a wee email to check and see -

Ok, that's cool. Sorted.

So I got in later on with a little question I needed to get answered. On the payment form it say's you can only pay be credit or debit card if you're the person shipping and collecting. Hmmm, does that count me out if my father is going to put it on his debit card?

This question went back and forth and eventually my 'customer sales agent' was able to tell me that I would just have to send them a cheque tomorrow for £280 somthing.....hold on, what did you say? £280? You mean £234 right? No sir, £280.

So I argued for an explanation for 5 minutes then my 'agent' put me on hold for 10 minutes before coming back and telling me that he could see what the problem was now. Hallelujah!! The original quote was correct because I'd only wanted to send 20KG of stuff and someone (like you don't know who as I've only spoken to 2 people) incorrectly put me down as wanting to ship 40KG.

After this astounding revelation my 'agent' asked if I would mind him going to speak to his supervisor to make sure he was correct and then call me back in 5-10 minutes - naturally I encouraged this course of action as I'd been given a different answer to 4 different questions and was quickly losing hope, patience and belief that this company was trustworthy enough to have possession of my belongings for any period of time.

After 15 minutes I called him back to find he'd gone for the day. Oh really? So can I speak to his Supervisor then? He's gone for the day too? What a great bunch of lads. If only I could work there too!!

Apparently my 'agent's' Supervisor doesn't have a surname that anybody working tonight is aware of. What a cool guy having only one name; maybe Jean Claude Van Damme could donate one of his.......

So I ended up speaking to another person who came across as having an attitude of not caring and not wanting to help in any way. She was able to tell me if I wanted to fly over 20 KG it would indeed be £216 and not £280.
Naturally there was no explanation as to why my 'agent' had buggered off home instead of calling me back after reassuring me he had my phone number (by repeating it back to me) but that I should just call him back tomorrow between 9 and 5.30

Now, I know this is extremely sarcastic (in places ) but there is a definite point to be made and a serious question to ask of all the kind folk on this board.

Would you call them back after all the shenanigans or just cancel the whole contract bearing in mind I've been completely truthful with all the facts and haven't embellished at all in this post......

NickyP
Unfortunately thats typical of dealing with anything with anybody in any company, whether excess baggage, DHL, BT, Insurance, British Gas, MEB, Bell, Rogers, Hydro One...people just dont give a shit so you just gotta accept that fact.

Personally Id stay with them cus if you find another company to do it you can 95% guarantee you will find another bunch of idiots where the only one there with a brain has gone home and those left dont care and dont give a crap and have to go through the same things you listed above unfortunately! Ahh isnt life fun

P.S Liked the Van Damme comment - funny!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:20 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, that's cool. Sorted.

NickyP
From what you have put here I would not have much faith that your stuff is actually going to get to Canada

I would cancel and go elsewhere
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:21 pm
God

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Unfortunately thats typical of dealing with anything with anybody in any company, whether excess baggage, DHL, BT, Insurance, British Gas, MEB, Bell, Rogers, Hydro One...people just dont give a shit so you just gotta accept that fact.

Personally Id stay with them cus if you find another company to do it you can 95% guarantee you will find another bunch of idiots where the only one there with a brain has gone home and those left dont care and dont give a crap and have to go through the same things you listed above unfortunately! Ahh isnt life fun

P.S Liked the Van Damme comment - funny!
I'd also been thinking that maybe it'd be easier on everyone involved if the people working there spoke English as their first language but hey, probably not knowing my luck
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:26 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

I'd also been thinking that maybe it'd be easier on everyone involved if the people working there spoke English as their first language but hey, probably not knowing my luck
Now your asking for too much! Its England and the UK after all, not that Canada is that much better in that regard as you will find out!

I have just got to the stage now where if someone answers with dodgy English I just hang up and re-dial - its much simpler and saves a lot of stress and hassle! At least that way your only dealing with an idiot rather than someone who hardly speaks English and is an idiot.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:42 pm
God

Come on people!

Stick with them and see what the score is tomorrow or keep shopping around?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

I too asked for quotes from this company, one with dog shipping and one without, 2 weeks later i got a email in the wrong format and had to email them back, one quote came the other i am still waiting, if thats what they are like now i think i will go elsewhere!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

I would definately look around to see other options. Keep them on hold until u find an alternative.

Not sure if Foxes do smaller boxes (think they do), we are using them and they have been very reasonable and fantastic to deal with.

They have been calling me to give me information that I may need and also when I do call them, they do get back to me within 10 -15 minutes.

Very happy up to now !

Rob
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I wouldn't have much faith in them to be honest if that's the service you've received up to now. I emailed them for a quote last week and am still waiting to hear back from them....
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:09 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

STICK or should it be Twist?

Hmmmm

I'll Stick please
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:56 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but i'd throw all of my toys very far out of the pram. Yell at them call them every name under the sun confident that it won't do any good whatsoever - and go elsewhere

These people seem like ideal candidates for you to take your mounting stress out on - don't waste a gift like this
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

So what did u do?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:42 pm
God

Well I emailed the guy I'd been dealing with for the past couple of days to see why he never called me back and (I emailed from work so can't quote the exact response) apparently at Excess Baggage the employees are unable to dial out after 6pm. Although saying that, I'm pretty sure the ability to send an email is still available to them!

The courier who was 'definately booked' to deliver the box today was unsurprisingly a no-show.

Think I'll just end things there with Excess Baggage. Julie_P sounds like she's been given the run-around as well so it looks like my search continues!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:49 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I would tell them that you have posted your experiences with them on the British Expats website were people advise others who are emigrating on the quality of services of airlines, excess baggage shippers and removal / shippers etc. So they can be sure that their quality of service is well known from today say it with a smile too