Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sent a letter from the UK to Canada and...

Sent a letter from the UK to Canada and...

Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sent a letter from the UK to Canada and...

Originally Posted by ch00se
Greetings all!

Basically, on the 24th July I sent a letter using Royal Mail (from the UK). Now I am unsure whether this was sent by surface mail or air mail, I would however assume airmail as I was told it was the fastest method available.

The reason I am writing this is because it has still yet to arrive. Now I am starting to stress about this as its listed as taking seven working days to arrive, making it overdue.

Does anyone have similar experiences and had their letter arrive? I'm beginning to reside myself to it being lost....

Thanks all
10 days to two weeks is not unusual at all. Sometimes its 4 days, sometimes is 3 weeks.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:58 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i had a letter that was posted on the 7th July arrive yesterday..somehow it had two deutsche post marks on it so had gone via Germany..but got here in the end!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

UK to Nova Scotia. Best time so far - 4 days, worst 17 days. no rhyme or reason to it, it just varies. Actually, one package never got here at all which is worse than 17 days I guess.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

ch00se is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres a whole lot of variance going on in this thread

11 days and counting, please don't fail me now
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I find that there is absolutely no regularity in the postal system at all. Some things have arrived here from the UK within days, whilst other things have taken up to 6 weeks - all sent by airmail!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I figure its a combination of consolidation of the UK to canada mail (they save it up till there is enough to send), differences between cheapest (surface) and fastest (air) and the vagaries of incoming customs checks and the canadian delivery process itself.

If everything alligns then you get delivery in a few days, if everything is out of sync then it takes weeks and weeks. Usually a few things are out of synch, so usually it takes 10 to 14 days.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I figure its a combination of consolidation of the UK to canada mail (they save it up till there is enough to send), differences between cheapest (surface) and fastest (air) and the vagaries of incoming customs checks and the canadian delivery process itself.

If everything alligns then you get delivery in a few days, if everything is out of sync then it takes weeks and weeks. Usually a few things are out of synch, so usually it takes 10 to 14 days.
I know, from experience, it's generally quicker to send mail from London to Vancouver than Cranbrook BC to Kelowna.

But you're right, it's very hit and miss with regards to timings.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by el_richo
I know, from experience, it's generally quicker to send mail from London to Vancouver than Cranbrook BC to Kelowna.

But you're right, it's very hit and miss with regards to timings.
Its random, Ive had mail from one end of Ontario to the other delivered next day. Or Ive had it take ten days.

Its a big country to cover, and if people need stuff delivered overnight they pay accordingly to Purolator, or if they dont want it lost, FedEx.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

As a rule of thumb, I give it 3 weeks minimum...from posting to recieving, so thats like 15 working days (Mon to Fri) plus weekends/holidays

And to think I used to complain about the Royal Mail! although to be fair...Canada is a bit bigger than the UK! LOL
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:59 pm
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

I sent a rental deposit draft last month, from UK to NS, signed for on delivery. Was told 9 days and it took 17 !!!.

I was fretting a lot more than the lovely lady I was sending the money to
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

What everyone else says basically. I've received stuff in Canada within five days of it being sent from the UK. I've also received stuff that's taken almost a month, after I'd given up hope.

Canada Post employee's make their UK counterparts look models of efficiency IMO. Like many public services in Canada, they always seem to tell you what they can't do rather than assist in any way.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:16 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

If I receive a bill that has 'pay within 30 days' terms, I generally reckon it's taken 2 weeks to arrive and will take 2 weeks to be received, so have to mail a cheque within a few days of receiving it. I got an invoice from my accountant yesterday that was dated June 19th. His offices are 15kms from where I live.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:38 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
If I receive a bill that has 'pay within 30 days' terms, I generally reckon it's taken 2 weeks to arrive and will take 2 weeks to be received, so have to mail a cheque within a few days of receiving it. I got an invoice from my accountant yesterday that was dated June 19th. His offices are 15kms from where I live.
Same here, i sent 2 cheques, one for Hydro one for gas. I got the next months bill with the amounts added on, plus an overdue fee. WTF.

They eventually got the cheques 3 weeks from posting, they traveled about 5 km. I get stuff from China twice as fast.

Needless to say, i pay all my bills online now.

For the OP, takes about a fortnight for mail from UK to reach Toronto.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Vancouver - Medicine Hat 2 weeks. (I can drive it in 14 hours...)
Edinburgh - Medicine Hat 8 weeks. 8 weeks!

Ya gotta love it.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Christmas last year it took 6 weeks for me to get a parcel. Just recently it took 7 working days (no saturday post).
Last time I sent anything Canada post (through the toad lady in Port Colborne Canada Post) I sent it next AM on a Friday from Ontario to Alberta asking 'it will be there on Monday won't it?' to which her less than helpful reply was, 'that's what it says doesn't it?' Anyway, Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday pass and it has not arrived. I am not a happy bunny. I called the helpline and the lovely guy told me it takes at least 3 working days for recorded next am to reach Alberta! I wish she would have told me that, it would have been much less stressful.
Same lady at Christmas tried to charge me $40 because my package was 0.002 kilo's overweight, which is about as heavy as a cheque...Canada Post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.