Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sending your passports from Canada to London UK need advice !!!

Sending your passports from Canada to London UK need advice !!!

Old Apr 14th 2007, 11:22 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending your passports from Canada to London UK need advice !!!

Guys

Had our PPR the other day

One of the requests in our letter was to send updated photos !!

Well we went to Blacks photography today and we were charged 80 bloomin bucks for 10 passport pickies WHAT A RIP OFF :curse: :curse:

We only went there as we have never seen a passport photo booth that you get in every shop in the UK, another rip scam off for the immigration dept !!!!

ANYWAY

I need to ask, has anyone ever sent their passports from Canada to London UK. CIC are asking that I send a stamp addressed envelope to return our passports.
I am unsure about how you would get the stamps to cover the return postage as the stamps will be Canadian stamps that will be put on the envelope. I dont want to take the chance incase good old Royal Mail reject the stamp addressed envelope as the stamps are not from UK and we dont get our passports back

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Eddie
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:36 am
Just Joined

dawnduke is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Sending your passports from Canada to London UK need advice !!!

Hi Eddie

We sent our passports to London by Courier as you can track this and know exactly when it arrived and also tells you who signed for it. You only need to send a self addressed envelope not stamped you do not need to put stamps on, that is all included in the huge immigration fees. We used the plastic bubble jiffy type envelopes as these are much stronger and very difficult to open. The passports are then sent back from london in this envelope that you provide and arrive safely. We received our passports back within 3 weeks of sending them.

Good Luck.

Kind Regards
Dawn and Richie
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:36 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending your passports from Canada to London UK need advice !!!

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Guys

Well we went to Blacks photography today and we were charged 80 bloomin bucks for 10 passport pickies WHAT A RIP OFF :curse: :curse:

We only went there as we have never seen a passport photo booth that you get in every shop in the UK, another rip scam off for the immigration dept !!!!

ANYWAY

I need to ask, has anyone ever sent their passports from Canada to London UK. CIC are asking that I send a stamp addressed envelope to return our passports.
I am unsure about how you would get the stamps to cover the return postage as the stamps will be Canadian stamps that will be put on the envelope. I dont want to take the chance incase good old Royal Mail reject the stamp addressed envelope as the stamps are not from UK and we dont get our passports back

Eddie
Fedex used to do a return courier service for documents. Check them out or weigh the package and get a friend to send you the correct UK postage. I'd pay for couriers personally, given that CIC lost my passport twice when I was a PR.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:07 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dawnduke
Hi Eddie

We sent our passports to London by Courier as you can track this and know exactly when it arrived and also tells you who signed for it. You only need to send a self addressed envelope not stamped you do not need to put stamps on, that is all included in the huge immigration fees. We used the plastic bubble jiffy type envelopes as these are much stronger and very difficult to open. The passports are then sent back from london in this envelope that you provide and arrive safely. We received our passports back within 3 weeks of sending them.

Good Luck.

Kind Regards
Dawn and Richie
OOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Dawn silly me, was that excited at getting the LETTER !!! that I never read it correctly

I have just re-read it again and YES you are correct, it only a self addressed envelope you send, not a bloomin stamped addressed one as I thought.

Guess it pays to read letters slowly !!!!!

Eddie
Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Guys

ANYWAY

Eddie
I sent my passport from Canada to the UK - I found UPS to be the cheapest, something like $60. I went to the nearest UPS store and it was in London the next day.

As for pics - for others reading this, try local independant photographers. The guy I used charged me $20 for 10 pictures. He keeps the original image on his computer so when I went back for another batch he only charged me $5 for the paper and printing.

You do get those pic booths (there was one in Masonville mall a few years back I used), but the dimensions won't be what's required. They only seem to fulfil the purpose of 4-5 teenage girls cramming themselves in and gurning for the camera.

Last edited by Lionel_in_Ontario; Apr 15th 2007 at 2:48 am.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Guys

ANYWAY

Eddie
My son and I needed photos for Canadian passports and they are a complete rip-off in the UK. We were in Canada last October to "land" my OH so went to WalMart. The service was good and the photos were cheap.

Joanne

Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

OOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Dawn silly me, was that excited at getting the LETTER !!! that I never read it correctly

I have just re-read it again and YES you are correct, it only a self addressed envelope you send, not a bloomin stamped addressed one as I thought.

Guess it pays to read letters slowly !!!!!

Eddie

Eddie

I'm sure we can forgive you that, under the circumstances!

How's the head mate?

Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

The pictures I have in mu UK passport that was re-newed in Canada was taken in a photo booth in Dufferin Mall in Toronto right next to the Black's that wanted to charge me a fortune. Just had to stay really still so that they looked identical. dimensions were fine, measured them against the specs first of course. Don't want it sent back after paying several hundred extortionate dollars to the UK foreign office to make me a new passport.

I'd be more worried about sending my passports out of the country and then being left with no legal paperwork to remain in the country, hopefully you never have to leave the country or anything whie you have no passports. Luckily Canada isn't likely to have any kind of revultuion and need to flee.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:15 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
My son and I needed photos for Canadian passports and they are a complete rip-off in the UK. We were in Canada last October to "land" my OH so went to WalMart. The service was good and the photos were cheap.

Joanne

The kids and I got our photos done for our Canadian Passports in a High Street shop and cost us about £4 each, done instantly, walk out the shop with them ready. Much much cheaper than the olden days when you had to go to a professional photographer just to get the white signature strip under your head!!!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

We also used UPS - it was a PR card not passports, so maybe that's why is was 50 CAD instead of the 60 you paid, but it went from Calgary > Glasgow in about 18hrs I think. Very happy with the service.

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
I sent my passport from Canada to the UK - I found UPS to be the cheapest, something like $60. I went to the nearest UPS store and it was in London the next day.

As for pics - for others reading this, try local independant photographers. The guy I used charged me $20 for 10 pictures. He keeps the original image on his computer so when I went back for another batch he only charged me $5 for the paper and printing.

You do get those pic booths (there was one in Masonville mall a few years back I used), but the dimensions won't be what's required. They only seem to fulfil the purpose of 4-5 teenage girls cramming themselves in and gurning for the camera.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:27 pm
Hello Dave..

Davey Dan Oli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

First time we have posted.

We are moving to Winnipeg this summer, due to my OH being from there.

I am coming over on Family Class visa but have only just got around to applying for it a fortnight ago (but I did the medical before and sent my police checks - fingers crossed).

We are just wondering if I am able to come in on a tourist visa if my visa hasn't arrived, and then send my passport to London, UK when I get my PPR and then cross the border into the states in North Dakota to enact the visa.

Just a bit concerned about sending the passport overseas because the OH says it is illegal (she used to work at the British High Commission in Ottawa) but we don't mind doing it if CIC don't say anything about it.

As anyone done this before instead of waiting for the visa to arrive?

All commuincations would be grateful

Davey, Dan & Oli
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Davey Dan Oli
Hi all

First time we have posted.

We are moving to Winnipeg this summer, due to my OH being from there.

I am coming over on Family Class visa but have only just got around to applying for it a fortnight ago (but I did the medical before and sent my police checks - fingers crossed).

We are just wondering if I am able to come in on a tourist visa if my visa hasn't arrived, and then send my passport to London, UK when I get my PPR and then cross the border into the states in North Dakota to enact the visa.

Just a bit concerned about sending the passport overseas because the OH says it is illegal (she used to work at the British High Commission in Ottawa) but we don't mind doing it if CIC don't say anything about it.

As anyone done this before instead of waiting for the visa to arrive?

All commuincations would be grateful

Davey, Dan & Oli

Hello and welcome.

There's nothing technically wrong with what you intend to do (I did the same only I was already in the country when I became a visitor).

The only problem is when you arrive at the airport and the immigration officer asks you your plans and intentions, (s)he may not admit you if they aren't convinced you will leave if the FC visa doesn't come through or if they don't believe your plan.

Did the OH say sending your passport overseas was illegal, or the plan in general?

Last edited by Lionel_in_Ontario; Apr 16th 2007 at 6:54 pm. Reason: typppppppppppppppppoooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
We also used UPS - it was a PR card not passports, so maybe that's why is was 50 CAD instead of the 60 you paid, but it went from Calgary > Glasgow in about 18hrs I think. Very happy with the service.
You know what, it probably was $50 but I think i'm adding tax on. There's also an insurance policy I declined to take. We probably had the same service (some kind of envelope below a certain weight - put anything you want in it).
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:05 pm
Hello Dave..

Davey Dan Oli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

The OH said it is illegal to send a passport overseas without the holder going with it. We don't know about coming as a visitor.

From all the research I have done over the last year, I have heard of people coming over on visitor visas and being allowed in, and others that have had problems.

The thing is is that we willing be landing in Hamilton with 100kg of luggage (half of our personal belongings - the other half went two months ago with the inlaws) and then transitting to Winnipeg the next day.

Regarding FC, Dr Jones who did my medicals (great guy - well recommend) was making small talk and saying he didn't know why they didn't handout FC visas quicker because he reckoned that they can only turn you down if you have an infectious disease ie HIV, Hep or AIDS.

So just needing advice as we are wanting to book tickets in the next few days because globespan is starting to sell out around our date from Stansted.

Cheers for you help

Davey
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Davey Dan Oli
Hi

The OH said it is illegal to send a passport overseas without the holder going with it. We don't know about coming as a visitor.

From all the research I have done over the last year, I have heard of people coming over on visitor visas and being allowed in, and others that have had problems.

Firstly, what the OH is saying sounds reasonable to me, but it's strange how CIC would condone this action. Be interesting to see what punishment you'd get if caught and found guilty.

Well - I don't know what to say. You're going to have to be honest when you arrive for two reasons:

1) You don't bring 100kg of stuff with you if you're going on holiday
2) Never lie to immigration, ever. Not worth it.

I would say go for it, but bring a dossier of evidence that you do have a FC application in process, cash to support yourself and anything you can to show that there is every likelihood that it's not going to be turned down. A return flight would also help out, but I assume you're not willing to fork out for that...

When are you thinking of going and when did you submit the app? If everything is kosher, complete and in order, you can have the actual visa in a matter of weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.