Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sending your container ahead before landing

Sending your container ahead before landing

Old May 3rd 2011, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending your container ahead before landing

Hi,

Please can someone advise what to do in this situation, my friends are going through this at the minute.

The flight for our mate is booked for next Thursday, he is coming to be a truck driver in Saskatchewan, his LMO has been applied for 10 weeks and still has not arrived.

He and his wife are panicking but the company he is coming to work for are not

His container is booked for this Friday and leaves on Monday....can it arrive in Canada before him or does it have to arrive as Goods To Follow???
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending your container ahead before landing

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
Hi,

Please can someone advise what to do in this situation, my friends are going through this at the minute.

The flight for our mate is booked for next Thursday, he is coming to be a truck driver in Saskatchewan, his LMO has been applied for 10 weeks and still has not arrived.

He and his wife are panicking but the company he is coming to work for are not

His container is booked for this Friday and leaves on Monday....can it arrive in Canada before him or does it have to arrive as Goods To Follow???
1.) If his flight is booked for next Thursday and the container leaves on Monday he'll be in Canada before the container anyways. Ours took 10 weeks to get here. I think 7 weeks standing around somewhere and 3 weeks on sea.

2.) has he applied 10 weeks ago for LMO or did he get a pos LMO 10 weeks ago?
From initial LMO application to a getting a result it took us around 3 months. But his company should have a name of the official that deals with his application and could give them a ring.
His company will get a ring/mail if the LMO was pos. or neg..In case it's pos they'll get it and can send it to your friend or fax /e-mail it and he can get TWP at POE.
No chance to get TWP tho without the pos. LMO and job offer letter. !!!!!
In case it was declined they'd have to figure out why and then possibly fix the problem and reaply.

Not sure if that helps. Maybe one of the Senior Members/moderators on here know more.
Good luck anyways
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and thanks for your reply.

His LMO application is in the system 10 weeks and has not yet been approved or refused.

His container leaves next Monday and he himself on Thursday, but they are really worried now that they are cutting it all a bit thin.

The thought just occured to him today that perhaps his goods cannot enter the country before him as he already has his "Goods to Follow" list prepared?

The truck company just keep saying not to worry and they cannot contact Service Canada too much or it will make his application go even slower - but off course, they have now sold their home, their cars, and all their worldy belongings that they are not shipping over here, plus he has left his job so officially now has no income, so it is ok for the company here to say "Don't Worry". They also have three kids to think about.

It's all very exasperating.
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:30 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

This wouldnt be the first time an employer said not to worry, but then the LMO was refused.

Sorry, but your friend has been unbelievably stupid. Hopefully it doesnt come back to bite him in the arse.
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jericho
This wouldnt be the first time an employer said not to worry, but then the LMO was refused.

Sorry, but your friend has been unbelievably stupid. Hopefully it doesnt come back to bite him in the arse.
Sorry Jericho, but I don't think thats very nice of you, why would you say my friend has been unbelievably stupid when he is going the same thing as the rest of us?
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a bit harsh to call him stupid, maybe naive or trusting too much in what the employer said would have been the better choice of words.

BUT....................... I hate to say it....but we applied for LMO Sep.2009 and it got declined Dec 2009. Had to reaply in Jan 2010 and finally got the pos. LMO Feb 2010 and only for one year. We moved April/May 2010 So my hubbys employer applied additionally for PNP and we got that this year. So now we are safe till March 2013 or till we got the PR desicion.

He definitely can't get a work permit or start working without the pos. LMO. or PNP or PR
And without the work permit he won't get health cover etc.
So booking a flight and container without even knowing if he could ever work in Canda is a very risky desicion that might not pay off.

His company will have a name of a CIC officer and it won't slow anything down if they ring. Your friend can't do anything but wait. It's all done between CIC and the employer unfortunatelly.

Old May 3rd 2011, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Unforunately his employer assured him that their LMOs were practically pre-authorised, they are a huge trucking firm here who have an area dedicated to foreign workers so he had no reason not to believe them.

They told him that if his container etc wa booked it would prove how serious he was about actually comin to Canada to work!

Methinks there has been wrong info given to them, but as I keep saying the girl in the office is an English Immigrant herself incharge of handling their foreign truck drivers, arrrrgghhhhhhhh

But anyway....after all this, I still do not have the answer to my original question, can he send his container of goods ahead of him.....
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:18 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Jericho, but I don't think thats very nice of you, why would you say my friend has been unbelievably stupid when he is going the same thing as the rest of us?
Most people wait until they have a positive LMO before making all these arrangements. I didnt do anything until my LMO came through, and then once it did, I resigned, arranged shipping, sold off what we didnt want to take, and booked the flights. Once the LMO came through, we landed in Canada three weeks later, and our furniture a couple of weeks after that.

To do all that before you even have an LMO.... I'm sorry but it's stupid/foolish/naive... call it whatever you want.

So why is it stupid? Because like you said, he has a wife and three children. He now has no house, no job, no income, no belongings. What if the LMO is refused? Or what if it takes another 10 weeks? (Mine took 8 months).

The answer to your original question is moot, IMO.
As a friend, you should be telling your pal not to do anything until the LMO comes through.
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:21 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Unforunately his employer assured him that their LMOs were practically pre-authorised, they are a huge trucking firm here who have an area dedicated to foreign workers so he had no reason not to believe them.

They told him that if his container etc wa booked it would prove how serious he was about actually comin to Canada to work!

Methinks there has been wrong info given to them, but as I keep saying the girl in the office is an English Immigrant herself incharge of handling their foreign truck drivers, arrrrgghhhhhhhh

But anyway....after all this, I still do not have the answer to my original question, can he send his container of goods ahead of him.....
as far as i know , although the container leaves on Monday and your mate on Thursday their stuff wont get there for approx 6-10 weeks so technically his goods as classed as goods to follow. unless he is on the boat with it he should get there 1st
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Have a look at this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_...s_and_Students
As a TWP you actually don't really need the Goods to Follow list but depending on the visa officer they still might want to see it.

His list, he gets stamped at POE has to match the list when he picks his stuff up. So he has to be in Canada when the container arrives.

As he doesn't know if he'll ever/or when arrive here maybe he should put it on hold.

I actually have to agree with jericho. We didn't do anything till we got the pos. LMO. My husband even asked them to fax a copy before he resigned and sold everyhing. Especially when you have children and looking at the current job climate in Britain it was a very dangerous choice your friend made and I honestly hope he'll be fine.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

I get what Jericho is saying too and that is the way we ourselves did it....got LMO then sold up etc etc, I understand Jericho what you mean totally.

I think the problem is that they listened wholeheartedly to the employer, they are not on BE or anything (and anyone who knows me from the past four years, know that we could not have done it without the help and advice on here) but again they had no reason not to believe what the company were saying......it's just a shame things are working out this way for them.

Thanks for al the answers guys.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:16 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

our understanding from our shipping co was that you have to be in canada prior to the container arrival, which in reality for your friends will be the case, whether he gets granted entry may be another issue
Old May 4th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

It's unlikely he'd be let in on arrival, and if he is, he'll spend hours in immigration first.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
It's unlikely he'd be let in on arrival, and if he is, he'll spend hours in immigration first.
Why? He will be classed as a visitor and should be fine under the VWP.

I accept that he may get an Immigration Official that gives him a hard time but, I suspect, it is more likely than not he will be allowed in.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why? He will be classed as a visitor and should be fine under the VWP.
He's not intending to visit though is he, he's intending to work. Sure, if he tells the I/O he's just visiting then I'm sure there would be no problem (other than the usual who are you visiting etc questions).

However, if he mentions this whole LMO story, and why he's really there, then he's in for a grilling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.