Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sending a Parcel to the UK

Sending a Parcel to the UK

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending a Parcel to the UK

I'm plan on sending a parcel of things to family in the UK, however I was wondering if anyone could suggest the most affordable option? The parcel will weigh about 1.5kg. I looked at FedEx but it looks like that'd cost over $100. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Cruella32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sending a Parcel to the UK

hey! I send all my parcels to the UK using Canada Post and so far so good and not too expensive... Not 100% sure on weights/prices etc but they will be able to quote you if you take it to a post office!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:35 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

make sure your family are aware that they have to pay import tax on the contents if they are over $40.

A couple of years ago I sent my daughter a package (can't remember which carrier) with lits of little stuff in that added up to around $200, obviously listed them when asked and aside form it costing $80 to send her wonderful father wouldn't go and pick the parcel up until i'd sent him the 45 quid duty.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
make sure your family are aware that they have to pay import tax on the contents if they are over $40.

A couple of years ago I sent my daughter a package (can't remember which carrier) with lits of little stuff in that added up to around $200, obviously listed them when asked and aside form it costing $80 to send her wonderful father wouldn't go and pick the parcel up until i'd sent him the 45 quid duty.
Ouch. Yeah I am aware of the duty issues, but normally just marking it as a gift gets around those sorts of problems. They cannot legally charge Tax on gifts, so I'll be sure to mark it as a gift as clearly as possible (lots of stickers on the box!)

Originally Posted by Cruella24
hey! I send all my parcels to the UK using Canada Post and so far so good and not too expensive... Not 100% sure on weights/prices etc but they will be able to quote you if you take it to a post office!
Want to avoid Canada Post, it's not a reliable service nor is it particularly fast. Also I was informed over PM that I've most likely missed the Xmas deadline anyway. Looking like I'll have to splash out on the FedEx at this rate.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:02 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

is that really the case???? They can't charge duty on gifts??????

The barstewards It was blatantly obvious by the Xmas wrapping paper - nature of the contents and the huge "Merry Xmas from mummy" written on the back that it was a gift.

Now i'm annoyed
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Nevermind, I'm wrong, they are tax-free as long as it's value is less than 40GBP: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...00014#P40_4237

I'll just have to fib about the value instead.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:13 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Nevermind, I'm wrong, they are tax-free as long as it's value is less than 40GBP: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...00014#P40_4237

I'll just have to fib about the value instead.
Phew (well not phew its still expensive) but yes - its weird how all the parcels i'll be sending will be around 30 quids worth
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:37 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Last date for sending cards to the UK was November 29th for guaranteed Christmas delivery. Not sure about parcels.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:26 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Ouch. Yeah I am aware of the duty issues, but normally just marking it as a gift gets around those sorts of problems. They cannot legally charge Tax on gifts, so I'll be sure to mark it as a gift as clearly as possible (lots of stickers on the box!)

Want to avoid Canada Post, it's not a reliable service nor is it particularly fast. Also I was informed over PM that I've most likely missed the Xmas deadline anyway. Looking like I'll have to splash out on the FedEx at this rate.
There is little chance that a package sent by mail will get there in time.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/pers...ay/default.jsf

I sent a surface mail package to the UK on November 8th. It hasn't arrived yet. It didn't leave Canada until the 19th.

Surface mail is not all that expensive. The thing I sent weighed 2.1kg. It cost about $40. I would have preferred airmail but the weight limit is 2kg. From past experience, I think airmail is about three times as expensive as surface mail (and size matters, not just weight). FedEx is probably going to be your best bet.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Last date for sending cards to the UK was November 29th for guaranteed Christmas delivery. Not sure about parcels.
According to the flyer that came through the door the other day:

Xpresspost Dec 6
Priority Dec 17

It is in my experience a very expensive situation whatever parcel service you use and at Christmas time it is hit and miss whether stuff arrives before or after your hoped for date.

Last year I sent everything before the suggested date for surface, some got before Christmas, some got after.

This year I took Christmas presents with me in August and left them at my Mums as that is where everyone goes, my Mum thought I was mad but in reality it was only a few weeks before Canada Post deadlines anyway
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Unless its something particularly personal / unique Ive found it more cost effective to buy stuff on Amazon UK and have it shipped locally. Less of a time crunch, and the exchange rate is in our favour now. Just a thought.

If I have to ship the post office has not let me down yet.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

the_big_v is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Unless its something particularly personal / unique Ive found it more cost effective to buy stuff on Amazon UK and have it shipped locally. Less of a time crunch, and the exchange rate is in our favour now. Just a thought.

If I have to ship the post office has not let me down yet.
Yes, what he says. Amazon UK really is the most cost affective way. And they gift wrap it and ship for free UK.

But if you have to mail something now; I always try and avoid Canada Post. I don't mind their customer service or the prices they charge, its just that they are always SO slow. Intra Canada, sending internationally and receiving internationally are all much worse that what you would have been used to in the UK..... I.M.H.O.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:15 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

I sent my xmas gifts to England a week and a half ago, and used Purolator (a family member gets an employee discount, so it was $20, rather than the $80 it would've been without). Look about 4 days to get there.

Wouldn't rely on Canada Post at all!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk
I sent my xmas gifts to England a week and a half ago, and used Purolator (a family member gets an employee discount, so it was $20, rather than the $80 it would've been without). Look about 4 days to get there.

Wouldn't rely on Canada Post at all!
Canada post owns 94% of Purolator. To all effects and purposes Purolater (or Puroloser as its known in my office due to past performance) is a Canada post service
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I usually use FEDEX as I can benefit from work discounts. (The perks of being the bloke that approves the FEDEX bills......). This year, courtesy of my employer and a need to visit Europe, I am hand delivering!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.