Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

sending money to the uk

sending money to the uk

Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road
Default sending money to the uk

can anyone give me some ideas how they transfere money back to the uk . I have tried sending family personal cheques and cerified cheques but they both take just as long to clear even thou the certified is supposed to be guaranteed funds
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sending money to the uk

Originally Posted by sarahloo
can anyone give me some ideas how they transfere money back to the uk . I have tried sending family personal cheques and cerified cheques but they both take just as long to clear even thou the certified is supposed to be guaranteed funds
I use paypal for small amounts.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:17 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleo
And me
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

is it easy for the person you are sending it to to access the money have you had any problems
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahloo
is it easy for the person you are sending it to to access the money have you had any problems
If they have a bank account linked to their paypal account it is no problem at all. It takes a few days to process the whole thing, but no longer than postage and waiting for a cheque to clear.

Paypal will guide you through linking the paypal to a bank account. You then transfer money to the through paypal, and they transfer it to their bank account. Costs about 1% - we usually classify it is a gift or household expense.

I have a UK paypal linked to my UK bank account and a Canadian paypal linked to my Canadian bank account and transfer money regularly between the two.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

If they have a bank account linked to their paypal account it is no problem at all. It takes a few days to process the whole thing, but no longer than postage and waiting for a cheque to clear.

Paypal will guide you through linking the paypal to a bank account. You then transfer money to the through paypal, and they transfer it to their bank account. Costs about 1% - we usually classify it is a gift or household expense.

I have a UK paypal linked to my UK bank account and a Canadian paypal linked to my Canadian bank account and transfer money regularly between the two.
thanks for your help i will see if my son has his account linked i know he has used paypal in the past in the uk
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using XE Trade for the last 5 years with no problem, set up the transfer on-line and takes about 5 days.

XE TRADE WEBSITE
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

currencyfair.com charges $4 for each transfer if i remember correctly - and gives a good rate too, without commission. I use it a lot for bringing funds from the uK to Canada. You need to give details of a Canadian bank account and a UK bank account. The money arrives in a couple of days.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

gooodman is an unknown quantity at this point

I am considering tranferring money from Canada to the UK. I have a HSBC account both in uk and Canada (with an additional UK GBP account). But I am not sure if the exchange rate is good and i know from past experience they charged me something like $15 for transferring in between the accounts as it was not a premium account.

Does paypal have any charges or does the local Canadian bank charge for transferring from their account to paypal? Also does paypal offer better exchange rates?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Andy_Zena is an unknown quantity at this point

Royal Bank of Canada has an on-line international transmittal service which allows up to $2500 or equivalent currency to be transferred every day, cost is around $14 per transaction. Takes 2 to 3 days and as long as you have the IBAN No and Swift code of the person your sending to its easy. You obviously need an RBC account. It's cheaper than the wire transfer option.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:57 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

A bankers draft from your bank, send it in the regular post and the amount is credited to that account immediately. The cost at TD Bank is $7.50, the money is guaranteed as only the recipient can cash it, the exchange might not be the best you can get is about the only drawback that I can think of.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:03 am
Vendor

MRam is an unknown quantity at this point

yes I agree with some of the others above - don't use a bank - you can lose out considerably on the exchange rate. The best thing to do is shop around for currency transfer quotes and make sure that you are getting the best rate from an FSA authorised foreign exchange provider. Typically, a foreign exchange broker's rate can be up to 4% better than the banks. This doesn't sound a lot but when you're transferring thousands or hundreds of thousands, it really does make a huge difference!
all the best
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Woodcutter is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem. Best way i found was through Paypal as the funds are cleared immediately. Although you pay commission, its not that much.

Woodcutter
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Try this mob.

http://affiliate.travelfx.co.uk///index.php

I had never used anything like this until Saturday when I ordered a few thousand dollars which arrived without any problems,I know that was cash but they also do a bank transfer with better rates than the banks offer.
They did have the best rate when I purchased my dollars,but I honestly couldn't say if the bank transfer is the same.
Couldn't hurt to enquire though.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

As others have said Paypal for small amounts and for anything over $2000 I use these http://www.canadianforex.ca/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.